AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Illinois Tollway Notes  (Read 319698 times)

ChiMilNet

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:48:36 PM
    • ChiMil Photos
Re: Illinois Tollway Notes
« Reply #425 on: September 24, 2017, 08:58:20 PM »

Full interchange coming soon to I-88 at IL 47... Similar project to I-90 at IL 47 but opposite... can't wait!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Article:
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20170920/full-interchange-at-route-47-and-i-88-moves-ahead

Should be just a simple diamond there.  IIRC, ISTHA already owns the land for it.

Preferred Alternative has a N to W loop, otherwise it is a conventional diamond. http://www.sugargroveinterchange.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/CAG-5-Preferred-Alternative-Exhibit.pdf

I wonder if this might lead to eventual widening of I-88 out to IL-47. With that, I wonder if there ever might be an additional interchange built between DeKalb and Sugar Grove. Western Kane County/Eastern DeKalb County could very well benefit from one. I know something like this would be years out, but it just seems silly to have such a long distance between interchanges while still technically on the edge of the collar counties.

Out of the cross bridges: Dauberman, County Line, or Keslinger could be the main candidates

I was kind of thinking County Line myself, maybe the most feasible as both Kane and DeKalb County would be able to contribute to its costs along with the Tollway. Obviously, this would be years out either way, but just food for thought.

I-39

• Last Login: December 26, 2023, 01:46:08 PM
« Reply #426 on: September 25, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »

Full interchange coming soon to I-88 at IL 47... Similar project to I-90 at IL 47 but opposite... can't wait!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Article:
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20170920/full-interchange-at-route-47-and-i-88-moves-ahead

Should be just a simple diamond there.  IIRC, ISTHA already owns the land for it.

Preferred Alternative has a N to W loop, otherwise it is a conventional diamond. http://www.sugargroveinterchange.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/CAG-5-Preferred-Alternative-Exhibit.pdf

I wonder if this might lead to eventual widening of I-88 out to IL-47. With that, I wonder if there ever might be an additional interchange built between DeKalb and Sugar Grove. Western Kane County/Eastern DeKalb County could very well benefit from one. I know something like this would be years out, but it just seems silly to have such a long distance between interchanges while still technically on the edge of the collar counties.

I believe it was (maybe still is?) in Kane DOT's 2040 plans to widen I-88 to six lanes from the IL-56 split off to IL-47. Of course, that is under the tollway jurisdiction and so they have no say in whether that happens (for the record, the same plan, or more like a wish list, had I-90 being widened to eight lanes from Randall to the western county line).

If there was ever a new interchange, it would be at Bliss Road likely.

johndoe780

• Last Login: January 30, 2020, 12:36:26 PM
« Reply #427 on: September 25, 2017, 10:25:27 PM »

Article:

I believe it was (maybe still is?) in Kane DOT's 2040 plans to widen I-88 to six lanes from the IL-56 split off to IL-47. Of course, that is under the tollway jurisdiction and so they have no say in whether that happens (for the record, the same plan, or more like a wish list, had I-90 being widened to eight lanes from Randall to the western county line).

the bridges on 90 were designed up to 4 lanes, no?

Don't see it happening now as traffic count doesn't justify it, but maybe in the next 10 years or so.

I-39

« Reply #428 on: September 25, 2017, 10:29:32 PM »

Article:

Don't see it happening now as traffic count doesn't justify it, but maybe in the next 10 years or so.

Nah, I-90 won't need more capacity west of IL-47 for a long time, if ever. I could see the four lanes in each direction someday being extended to IL-47, but that would be it. I'm sure when they reconstruct the Randall Road bridge/interchange (they will have to do this at some point soon), it will be lengthened to accommodate a fourth lane in each direction.

Revive 755

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 10:56:10 PM
« Reply #429 on: September 26, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »

Most of the overpasses appear capable of handling four lanes except for IL 47 (which could do so with narrowed shoulders).  The bridges on I-90 would require narrowing at least the inner shoulder to fit in a fourth lane.

Maybe around 10 to 15 years out once any adjustments due to the IL 23 interchange play out and if the economy stays decent.

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:19:08 PM
« Reply #430 on: September 26, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »

Article:

Nah, I-90 won't need more capacity west of IL-47 for a long time, if ever. I could see the four lanes in each direction someday being extended to IL-47, but that would be it. I'm sure when they reconstruct the Randall Road bridge/interchange (they will have to do this at some point soon), it will be lengthened to accommodate a fourth lane in each direction.

the smart road look like the posts are in place to extend it to elgin

johndoe780

« Reply #431 on: September 26, 2017, 09:03:17 PM »

Most of the overpasses appear capable of handling four lanes except for IL 47 (which could do so with narrowed shoulders).  The bridges on I-90 would require narrowing at least the inner shoulder to fit in a fourth lane.

Maybe around 10 to 15 years out once any adjustments due to the IL 23 interchange play out and if the economy stays decent.

I could see I-90 being expanded up to IL-47 in the next 5-10 years and maybe to IL-23 in the next 10-15 years depending on the growth in Hampshire, Burlington, and the like. Lots of new development happening in that area.

The smart road, I'm unsure of where it exactly ends west. I see some of the "future" poles here and there between barrington rd and 59, but I get off 59 everyday so unable to assess it westward.

With that said, it looks like in the next 5 years, the tollway's focus is just central I-294. However, I really wish the tollway would work on 4 laning I-88 after IL-59 to at least Farnsworth now that the bridge looks like it'll be finished by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:09:38 PM by johndoe780 »

ChiMilNet

• ChiMil Photos
« Reply #432 on: September 27, 2017, 12:14:15 AM »

I could see I-90 being expanded up to IL-47 in the next 5-10 years and maybe to IL-23 in the next 10-15 years depending on the growth in Hampshire, Burlington, and the like. Lots of new development happening in that area.

The smart road, I'm unsure of where it exactly ends west. I see some of the "future" poles here and there between barrington rd and 59, but I get off 59 everyday so unable to assess it westward.

With that said, it looks like in the next 5 years, the tollway's focus is just central I-294. However, I really wish the tollway would work on 4 laning I-88 after IL-59 to at least Farnsworth now that the bridge looks like it'll be finished by the end of the year.

Central I-294 is by far the Tollway's most pressing need as far as existing facilities go, so it makes sense that this would be their main focus. Let's also not forget The Edens Spur (I-94), which is in line for a rebuild. That said, don't count out them adding additional projects to the scope. I-90 was a big ticket item that is mostly wrapping up now, so I-88 could very well be next with the next segments being widened. I also wouldn't be surprised if they extended the eight lanes on I-90 to IL 47.

One thing that will be coming up sooner than later as a need will be I-355. The original section is almost 30 years old now and starting to show its age a bit. From a capacity standpoint, within the next decade, it very well could be in line for a major rehab/rebuild plus widening to eight lanes for the entire length between I-290 and I-55 (of course this would require IDOT to actually coordinate with the Tollway at the North end).

ILRoad55

• 3D Artist

• Last Login: March 01, 2023, 11:17:53 AM
« Reply #433 on: September 27, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »

I just think that stretch of 355 along 88 is going to be the real problem. You've got the tunnel and the arboretum there.

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #434 on: September 27, 2017, 05:24:44 PM »

I just think that stretch of 355 along 88 is going to be the real problem. You've got the tunnel and the arboretum there.

It's a bigger issue southbound than northbound due to the merge from westbound I-88 there, just before the Arboretum retaining wall and the tunnel.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #435 on: September 27, 2017, 06:00:14 PM »

Central I-294 is by far the Tollway's most pressing need as far as existing facilities go, so it makes sense that this would be their main focus. Let's also not forget The Edens Spur (I-94), which is in line for a rebuild. That said, don't count out them adding additional projects to the scope. I-90 was a big ticket item that is mostly wrapping up now, so I-88 could very well be next with the next segments being widened. I also wouldn't be surprised if they extended the eight lanes on I-90 to IL 47.

One thing that will be coming up sooner than later as a need will be I-355. The original section is almost 30 years old now and starting to show its age a bit. From a capacity standpoint, within the next decade, it very well could be in line for a major rehab/rebuild plus widening to eight lanes for the entire length between I-290 and I-55 (of course this would require IDOT to actually coordinate with the Tollway at the North end).

maybe AUX lanes from I-88 to I-290 with some ramp work + more aux lanes in the free zone of I-355

Don't 4 lanes in the tunnel.

ChiMilNet

• ChiMil Photos
« Reply #436 on: September 27, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »

maybe AUX lanes from I-88 to I-290 with some ramp work + more aux lanes in the free zone of I-355

Don't 4 lanes in the tunnel.

Sadly that stretch where the tunnel is, which would be the biggest challenge, is where extra lanes would come most in handy. That part would be a huge undertaking. I know it was a stretch getting the Arboretum to even allow I-355 where it is, so that'll be an obstacle for sure. The only other option I can think of is that they move the ramp from WB I-88 to SB I-355 to where it would merge after the tunnel and the eight lane section begins essentially, merge with the ramp from EB I-88).

ilpt4u

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:54:22 PM
« Reply #437 on: September 27, 2017, 09:00:43 PM »

It's a bigger issue southbound than northbound due to the merge from westbound I-88 there, just before the Arboretum retaining wall and the tunnel.
Double Deck I-355 in the 355/88 side-by-side section, and then have one direction of 355 go over I-88 and the other using the current tunnel

johndoe780

« Reply #438 on: September 27, 2017, 11:37:46 PM »

If and when the tollway 8 lanes I-88 further, they'll have to rebuild Eola rd. Current bridge configurations won't allow for 4 lanes, but Farnsworth ave appears as if it does.

ET21

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #439 on: September 28, 2017, 08:13:18 AM »

If and when the tollway 8 lanes I-88 further, they'll have to rebuild Eola rd. Current bridge configurations won't allow for 4 lanes, but Farnsworth ave appears as if it does.

Farnsworth and the two cross bridges after (Church and Mitchell Roads) are all set for an expansion. Eola and the rail bridge are the two outliers
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-39

« Reply #440 on: September 28, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »

Farnsworth and the two cross bridges after (Church and Mitchell Roads) are all set for an expansion. Eola and the rail bridge are the two outliers

And the Aurora Toll Plaza is configured to allow for a fourth ORT lane. This leads me to believe they will widen I-88 from IL-59 to IL-31 within the next 10-15 years.

johndoe780

« Reply #441 on: October 13, 2017, 11:57:24 PM »

Looks like southern segment of 294 from 95th street or so until the 80 merge got switched to led lights

ChiMilNet

• ChiMil Photos
« Reply #442 on: October 14, 2017, 06:31:45 PM »

Looks like southern segment of 294 from 95th street or so until the 80 merge got switched to led lights

I wouldn't be surprised if the segment North of I-90 follows sometime in the next year. They're more than likely going to wait until the massive rebuild to replace the lighting on the Central section. How about I-88 West of Highland Ave to at least IL-59? That would seem like a natural candidate for the next retrofit as well. Maybe portions of I-355 also would follow I figure.

ET21

« Reply #443 on: October 15, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »

Been like that since about July

Clinched:

johndoe780

« Reply #444 on: October 15, 2017, 02:02:27 PM »

Haven't driven this stretch in a while. But agree with chimil, 294 North segment and 88 West of highland should get on that LED treatment

ET21

« Reply #445 on: October 15, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »

Haven't driven this stretch in a while. But agree with chimil, 294 North segment and 88 West of highland should get on that LED treatment

Oh yeah I agree, 88 at least from IL-59 eastward and the entire 294 stretch

Clinched:

DrMyEyes

• Last Login: March 24, 2022, 04:48:16 PM
« Reply #446 on: October 20, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »

Any ideas on when the master plan for Central TriState expansion will come out? Wondering what is going to happen with I55/294/Joliet Road interchange.

Revive 755

« Reply #447 on: October 20, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »

^ I suspect it will be a while - any major redesign affecting I-55 would have to be coordinated with IDOT and FHWA.  From throwing out a random guess:  June 2018.

EDIT:  Per Page 18 of 20 from one of the I-55 Managed Lane Presentations,, the I-55/I-294 interchange will not be reconstructed.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:17:25 PM by Revive 755 »

Joe The Dragon

« Reply #448 on: October 21, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »

^ I suspect it will be a while - any major redesign affecting I-55 would have to be coordinated with IDOT and FHWA.  From throwing out a random guess:  June 2018.

EDIT:  Per Page 18 of 20 from one of the I-55 Managed Lane Presentations,, the I-55/I-294 interchange will not be reconstructed.
but the Central TriState rebuild will change the interchange and like widening bridges

Revive 755

« Reply #449 on: October 21, 2017, 09:54:37 PM »

^ They might replace the bridges and tweak the NB I-55 to SB I-294, NB I-294 to NB I-55 and NB I-294 to SB I-55 ramps slightly to account for the widened mainline, but it sounds like the rest of the interchange will not be changing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.