News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: Highway63 on June 26, 2018, 10:24:08 PMAlso, construction at the Hillside Strangler made me miss the first toll booth.  :ded:

I went through there on Sunday, I thought it was pretty well-signed.  Keep left for ETC, keep right to pay cash.

ET21

Ramps Connecting Irving Park Road to Northbound Tri-State Tollway (I-294) Scheduled to Close Next Week for Roadway Construction:

Weather permitting, on Monday, July 9, the two ramps connecting Irving Park Road to northbound I-294 are scheduled to close through the end of the year. The posted detour will direct traffic to use Mannheim Road and I-190 to access northbound I-294.

The ramp closures are necessary to safely accommodate traffic and workers during mainline roadway construction. In order to continue to provide four lanes of traffic on I-294, traffic will be shifted to the outside shoulders, eliminating the merge lane for traffic entering northbound I-294 during this stage of construction.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

Tri-County Access Project
PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE

http://tricountyaccess.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/TCA_OpenHouse_eblast_070318.pdf

Wednesday, July 25, 2018
Countryside Banquets
28874 Route 120
Lakemoor, IL 60051

Crash_It

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 24, 2018, 07:56:26 PM
PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE

http://tricountyaccess.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/TCA_OpenHouse_eblast_070318.pdf

Wednesday, July 25, 2018
Countryside Banquets
28874 Route 120
Lakemoor, IL 60051

Basically the only solution would be to build the 53 extension and a 120 bypass. That would reduce travel times and alleviate congestion on I94 and other state and county roads.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Crash_It on July 28, 2018, 02:36:45 AM
PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE

Wednesday, July 25, 2018
Countryside Banquets
28874 Route 120
Lakemoor, IL 60051

Basically the only solution would be to build the 53 extension and a 120 bypass. That would reduce travel times and alleviate congestion on I94 and other state and county roads.

Agreed, that is the only real solution to the issues. Everything else is putting duct tape on a crumbling structure. Driving up into Lake County is a nightmare, and I was recently on route 120... what a mess! Build it, and build it sooner than later. Exhaust fumes are not good for anyone!

mgk920

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 28, 2018, 09:48:29 AM
PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE

Wednesday, July 25, 2018
Countryside Banquets
28874 Route 120
Lakemoor, IL 60051

Agreed, that is the only real solution to the issues. Everything else is putting duct tape on a crumbling structure. Driving up into Lake County is a nightmare, and I was recently on route 120... what a mess! Build it, and build it sooner than later. Exhaust fumes are not good for anyone!

And to full interstate standards, too!

:banghead:

Mike

ilpt4u

Quote from: mgk920 on July 28, 2018, 10:04:44 AM
PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE

Wednesday, July 25, 2018
Countryside Banquets
28874 Route 120
Lakemoor, IL 60051

And to full interstate standards, too!

:banghead:

Mike
While I agree full Interstate standard freeway would be ideal, the 45 MPH freeway access parkway would at least be helpful

Revive 755

While an interstate standard IL 53 extension and IL 120 bypass would be my preferred option, it is not the only one if only congestion relief is the main goal.  They could always supersize a bunch of other arterials - put eight lanes (four through lanes each way) on US 12, IL 83, and Lake Cook Road - plus look at higher capacity intersections (IL 22 at IL 83 might be a good spot for a full CFI).  I am guessing/hoping the arterial improvements needed and their impacts might make the IL 53 extension look much more favorable.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 28, 2018, 12:58:31 PM

While an interstate standard IL 53 extension and IL 120 bypass would be my preferred option, it is not the only one if only congestion relief is the main goal.  They could always supersize a bunch of other arterials - put eight lanes (four through lanes each way) on US 12, IL 83, and Lake Cook Road - plus look at higher capacity intersections (IL 22 at IL 83 might be a good spot for a full CFI).  I am guessing/hoping the arterial improvements needed and their impacts might make the IL 53 extension look much more favorable.

Well, good luck getting eight lanes on the arterials (although I would agree that US 12 and Lake Cook all should have a minimum of 6 total lanes (at least four on US 12 from the McHenry County Line up to Wisconsin). At the VERY least, they could start construction on the IL 120 Bypass and make that its own separate project. There is widespread support for that, and IL 53 could come later (maybe having it there already would further the support for it).

The Ghostbuster

I highly doubt IL-53 will ever be extended north of Lake Cook Road. I don't know much about the IL-120 bypass, but I don't think I would hold my breath on that one being constructed either.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 28, 2018, 03:55:50 PM
I highly doubt IL-53 will ever be extended north of Lake Cook Road. I don't know much about the IL-120 bypass, but I don't think I would hold my breath on that one being constructed either.
US 12 can get a big upgrade

abefroman329

Today I learned the hard way that, if you add your personal I-Pass to a rental car, and remove the device from the car, but don't delete the vehicle from your I-Pass account, they'll use video to bill your account. Oh, and they'll bill you at the cash rate if you do this too frequently. I don't think I'm out more than $10, but it's a good thing I was signed up for email alerts.

I don't know what would possess someone to do this, unless they planned to go online and pay the tolls later. I wonder if I'll get a refund from the Tollway Authority if they do.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: abefroman329 on July 31, 2018, 10:30:16 AM
Today I learned the hard way that, if you add your personal I-Pass to a rental car, and remove the device from the car, but don't delete the vehicle from your I-Pass account, they'll use video to bill your account. Oh, and they'll bill you at the cash rate if you do this too frequently. I don't think I'm out more than $10, but it's a good thing I was signed up for email alerts.

I don't know what would possess someone to do this, unless they planned to go online and pay the tolls later. I wonder if I'll get a refund from the Tollway Authority if they do.

So did you log your rental car into your account?  Or did they assign your rental car one you used your transponder?

Regarding the latter, when I travel for business I simply let the tolls be assigned to the car.  I never see the bill anyway and my employer doesn't really care. 

abefroman329

Logged my rental car into my account. If it were my personal car, I don't know that I would have, but I figured that if I didn't, and the Tollway billed the rental car agency, then they'd charge me some usurious "administrative fee"  on top of billing me for the tolls.

SEWIGuy

OK because when I have rented for personal reasons, I have just taken my ipass transponder along and it worked fine.

abefroman329

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 31, 2018, 01:02:50 PM
OK because when I have rented for personal reasons, I have just taken my ipass transponder along and it worked fine.
I wanted to use it immediately after I bought it and was told it would take some period of time to activate, otherwise I would not have linked it to my account. We have a NJ EZ-Pass we bought while living in DC and didn't update it after we moved to Chicago for years and had no issues.

Mrt90

I don't know if this is new, but on the I-pass site when you try to add a vehicle it asks if you are adding a rental or temporary vehicle.  If you check that box, it asks you to give the start and end dates. 

mvak36

Quote from: Mrt90 on July 31, 2018, 01:24:40 PM
I don't know if this is new, but on the I-pass site when you try to add a vehicle it asks if you are adding a rental or temporary vehicle.  If you check that box, it asks you to give the start and end dates.
Yes. I believe they added it sometime in 2016 or so. I've used it quite bit this last year with me having to travel to Ohio and Pennsylvania for work. It's a pretty nice feature.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Joe The Dragon

PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE

Wednesday, July 25, 2018
Countryside Banquets
28874 Route 120
Lakemoor, IL 60051

well just Il-120 without FAP 420 will help some but just push even more on to

IL-120 volo to mchenry
IL-31 mchenry to Richmond
US-12 foxlake to Richmond
Traffic in Richmond sucks

inkyatari

Someone here suggested detaching 53 and 120 from being the same project.  I agree.  Build IL120 first.  The rest should fall in line, methinks.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

Quote from: Mrt90 on July 31, 2018, 01:24:40 PM
I had that option. At the time, I didn't know how long I would have the rental car, so I didn't check it.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 31, 2018, 02:13:33 PM
PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE

Wednesday, July 25, 2018
Countryside Banquets
28874 Route 120
Lakemoor, IL 60051

well just Il-120 without FAP 420 will help some but just push even more on to

IL-120 volo to mchenry
IL-31 mchenry to Richmond
US-12 foxlake to Richmond
Traffic in Richmond sucks

Traffic sucks those ways already. Along with the IL 120 bypass, they need to at least have US 12 4 lanes to the state line, with at least some consideration given to IL 31 North from McHenry also. Fact is, they need to do something, and its been sitting too long. Again, having at least the IL 120 bypass will help speed up some trips through there. At this point, there isn't so much growth as there is need to catch up to what is already built there, and the road network can't handle it, so anything is welcome in my opinion.

Great Lakes Roads

Here we go!! First of two over the road oasis structures on I-294 to be closed permanently on September 5 (two days after Labor Day)...

Article:
https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180824/ohare-oasis-pavilion-to-close-for-good-sept-5

thenetwork

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 28, 2018, 11:26:17 PM
Here we go!! First of two over the road oasis structures on I-294 to be closed permanently on September 5 (two days after Labor Day)...

Article:
https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180824/ohare-oasis-pavilion-to-close-for-good-sept-5

Good to know they are keeping most, if not all of, the services nearest the parking lots on either side of the Tollway.  I was under the assumption that the entire Oasis (Including the gas, food and restroom facilities) was to be taken down.  Here it's just the crossover bridge.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: thenetwork on August 29, 2018, 09:52:50 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 28, 2018, 11:26:17 PM

Article:

Good to know they are keeping most, if not all of, the services nearest the parking lots on either side of the Tollway.  I was under the assumption that the entire Oasis (Including the gas, food and restroom facilities) was to be taken down.  Here it's just the crossover bridge.

The des plaines one is the one that will fully removed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.