Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

California

<< < (275/280) > >>

Alps:

--- Quote from: kkt on September 23, 2021, 08:41:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: Buffaboy on September 23, 2021, 06:29:15 PM ---Why does California not have a statewide toll road like NYS, Indiana, New Jersey, Florida and others?

--- End quote ---

A better question is why so many eastern states have toll roads instead of paying for their freeways with gas taxes.  Most of the money the tolls collect goes to pay the toll takers, not to pay for road construction or maintenance.  Collecting gas taxes is very efficient.

--- End quote ---
False. Very false. By far most of the money collected pays for maintenance, construction, operations.

Rothman:

--- Quote from: Alps on September 23, 2021, 11:45:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: Buffaboy on September 23, 2021, 06:29:15 PM ---Why does California not have a statewide toll road like NYS, Indiana, New Jersey, Florida and others?

--- End quote ---

A better question is why so many eastern states have toll roads instead of paying for their freeways with gas taxes.  Most of the money the tolls collect goes to pay the toll takers, not to pay for road construction or maintenance.  Collecting gas taxes is very efficient.

--- End quote ---
False. Very false. By far most of the money collected pays for maintenance, construction, operations.

--- End quote ---
*citation needed*

Public authorities don't have a clean history in this regard.  Wonder how toll revenues are confirmed to prevent skimming off the top. :D

Do they release finance statements to the public?

skluth:

--- Quote from: Rothman on September 24, 2021, 09:00:17 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
*citation needed*

Public authorities don't have a clean history in this regard.  Wonder how toll revenues are confirmed to prevent skimming off the top. :D

--- End quote ---

I don't know about most toll roads. But when I lived in Tidewater, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (CBBT) would issue bonds to pay for improvements. Those bonds were paid off through tolls collected as is all the maintenance. It exists as a separate entity from the rest of the Virginia DOT. Information can be found on the website I've linked.

Otherwise I've only lived in Wisconsin and Missouri which don't have toll roads. I do know Illinois has a separate authority for their toll highways which pays for maintenance and improvements, which is why Illinois toll roads are better than their other interstates.

Max Rockatansky:
Interesting to note; I think you can trace the state’s hesitancy to use toll facilities back to the 19th Century.  Many early highways in California were toll road franchises in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Most franchise holders usually couldn’t pull a profit or phoned in maintenance towards the end of their agreement.  A large chunk the early State Highway System emphasized towards rebuilding former franchise toll road corridors.  In fact, the first State Highway was the Lake Tahoe Wagon Road which had constructed as a toll facility. 

Alps:

--- Quote from: Rothman on September 24, 2021, 09:00:17 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
*citation needed*

--- End quote ---
knowledge I have may or may not be publicly available, but I believe agencies do have publicly available financial statements you can peruse. Unfortunately because of my privy nature to these things I can't even cite the agencies in question where my knowledge stems from.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version