Regional Boards > International Highways

Tunnel to be built under Stonehenge

<< < (5/7) > >>

Plutonic Panda:
Thankfully this project has been approved and construction will proceed in a few years:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/in.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN27S1Z0

kurumi:

--- Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 22, 2019, 12:07:03 AM ---Will it be built to the right scale?

--- End quote ---

Yes, the tunnel bores will be 18 inches high :-)

Plutonic Panda:
Opponents of this project are claiming Stonehenge would lose its status of being a world heritage site if this project moved forward as planned. Im skeptical of that but what the hell do I know. If that is true, why would a tunnel underground affect that?

--- Quote --- The Stonehenge Bypass Tunnel project in the UK continues to be a source of controversy. The latest development comes in the shape of a warning from Unesco, which has told the UK government that the famous Stonehenge monument may lose its status as a world heritage site unless the proposed tunnel route is changed.

Unesco is calling for the design of the 1.7 billion tunnel, currently planned to be 3.2km long, to be lengthened. This would ensure that the portals do not cause damage to archeological sites of importance in the area. As a result, Unesco has asked the UK Government to provide updated plans by February 2022. The project has been an important one for Highways England and is needed to improve transport in the area. Whether the UK Government will be able to tolerate yet another cost increase remains to be seen.
--- End quote ---

- https://www.worldhighways.com/wh10/news/stonehenge-tunnel-controversy-continues

vdeane:
The part of the article you quoted explains it: there are archaeological sites in the area, and they don't want the construction of the tunnel portals to disturb them.

Plutonic Panda:

--- Quote from: vdeane on July 04, 2021, 10:39:01 PM ---The part of the article you quoted explains it: there are archaeological sites in the area, and they don't want the construction of the tunnel portals to disturb them.

--- End quote ---
For whatever reason I missed the part that said the tunnel would be lengthened. I thought that was the original plan. I stand corrected. This is a reasonable proposition more than what wed see in the US with many just wanting it outright canceled.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version