Regional Boards > Central States

Expanded Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas toll transponder interoperability now here!

<< < (3/15) > >>

wxfree:

--- Quote from: Baloo Uriza on May 19, 2017, 05:44:46 AM ---We've had PIKEPASS interoperability on KTA and NTTA roads for about a year now.  But, I don't have a reason to go that deep into Kansas, and Dallas is a hot mess of public and private toll roads and not obvious who operates what, plus all the toll roads in the DFW area have state highways immediately adjacent so I don't bother with 'em at all when I'm there.

--- End quote ---

All fully tolled roads in the DFW area are public NTTA roads.  All managed lanes currently open are run by private companies.  If I recall correctly, the I-30 managed lanes will be run by TxDOT when they open.  This doesn't make any difference regarding payment.  All of the tolled facilities accept all Texas tags, Pikepass, and now K-TAG, and all of them have a bill by mail option and are open to everyone, regardless of whether you have a tag account.  International Parkway in DFW airport is different.  It isn't really a toll road, but you pay a parking fee based on how long the vehicle is on airport grounds.  It can be used as a toll road, but the cost structure discourages through use by charging a dollar more if you get from one end to the other quickly.

Baloo Uriza:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 19, 2017, 01:20:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: J N Winkler ---I suspect it does expand interoperability for PikePass customers because, AIUI, the hub shares customer files out to all participating agencies.  Publicity is probably on its way to you; I first heard of this development (as, I suspect, did Richie) through the KTA's "Turnpike Times" email newsletter.
--- End quote ---

I've checked with OTA's PikePass web site. They have little if anything in terms of recent press releases. About the only thing noteworthy is the notice to PikePass customers that they must maintain a positive balance in their account when using KTA and NTTA toll roads. I assume this is for people who manually replentish the money in their accounts. Normally if my account drops below $10 it will automatically bill my credit card $40. Will it not do that if I'm driving on KTA or NTTA toll roads?

--- End quote ---

It will if you're set up to automatically replenish.  However, OTA had been extending courtesy credit on the assumption that you're good for it.  Problem is the out of state toll roads have relatively unpredictable toll schedules (particularly in DFW), so folks would travel NTTA roads on PIKEPASS with a negative balance, get a crazystupid bill from NTTA's high tolls, then leave the OTA holding their dong in one hand and an empty bag in the other.  So now OTA only allows you to go into the red on your PIKEPASS balance for OTA tolls.

I keep my account balance in the black, but I don't bother with automatic re-upping mostly because I consider OTA borderline incompetent to begin with and would rather just give them cash at the PIKEPASS Store to get account credit.  Nor do I use their roads very often since the whole scheme essentially amounts to a self-service taxicab, BYOC.

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 19, 2017, 01:20:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: Baloo Uriza ---We've had PIKEPASS interoperability on KTA and NTTA roads for about a year now.  But, I don't have a reason to go that deep into Kansas, and Dallas is a hot mess of public and private toll roads and not obvious who operates what, plus all the toll roads in the DFW area have state highways immediately adjacent so I don't bother with 'em at all when I'm there.
--- End quote ---

AFAIK PikePass works on every Dallas-Fort Worth toll road except for the toll road through the DFW airport. I have taken full advantage of the "Lexus Lanes" along LBJ Freeway in North Dallas and the Dallas North Tollway. It's not fun to pay the tolls, but I consider it far worse to be snarled in a traffic jam on the "free" lanes of the LBJ Freeway. I'll burn more gasoline and time than what the "Lexus Lane" toll costs. The same goes for taking surface streets to avoid the DNT. Traffic can be infuriating in Addison and other North Dallas cities. The red lights are excruciatingly long, green lights far too short and attention spans of other drivers even shorter. Too many drivers at the front of the line in an intersection have their faces buried in their phones, updating Facebook or what ever rather than noticing the light turned green several seconds ago. The damned thing is turning yellow (and even red) before you can finally crawl through it. If you end up stuck at the red, thanks to some phone-using jerk you're going to be sitting there a long damned time.

--- End quote ---

My trick with dealing with the LBJ Expressway is, if there's any sort of traffic, stay on the outermost roadways and deal with the traffic lights, but LBJ's kind of a last resort to start with.  In general, if it's not within a stone's throw of TX 121, Dallas Parkway, or US 75; or walking distance to Dallas Union Terminal, it might as well be on the ass end of West Pyongyang as far as I'm concerned or willing to deal with it at all.  If I'm at DFW Airport, it's literally only to change flights.

Fortunately, Texas Furry Fiesta outgrew it's hotel on Dallas Parkway after outgrowing it's original hotel in Farmer's Branch, so now it's going to be held at the Reunion Tower, which is, for all practical purposes, in Dallas Union Terminal.  So I'll just park in Norman or Ardmore and take the Heartland Flyer with friends literally directly into the convention.

J N Winkler:
Yesterday I used the Kansas and Cimarron Turnpikes as part of a day trip to Pawnee, Oklahoma, for the Pawnee Nation homecoming.

At the Southern Terminal on the Kansas Turnpike, the signs that referred both to K-Tag and PikePass (against a green background, if memory serves) have been removed in favor of a new sign that has just the K-Tag logo against a pink (not purple) background, above a yellow bottom panel with "ONLY" and two closely spaced black arrows, notwithstanding there being still just one electronic toll lane in each direction.  I believe these signs are new since my last Turnpike trip on June 10.

In Oklahoma, the electronic toll signing seemed to be unchanged on the Cimarron Turnpike at the US 177 exit with the possible exception of the PikePass logo appearing against the same pink background used with the K-Tag logo in Kansas.  This is certainly new since 2013, and probably also since the spring of 2016, but I can't be sure the current sign wasn't there on my last trip on April 8.  (OTA has never, to my knowledge, used the K-Tag logo on its signs.)

I do not understand why both KTA and OTA are using pink instead of purple background for their toll lane signing.  The current edition of the MUTCD is very clear ( 2F.03) that purple is to be used in connection with ETC accounts.  As regards KTA's new lane assignment signs at the Southern Terminal, the MUTCD also requires that the "ONLY" message for ETC-only toll lanes be used in black against white because it is a regulatory message, and of course the number of arrows should actually match the number of lanes present.

I have sent KTA an "email" (really a form submit) to point out these concerns, and also suggest that changes in toll plaza signing--which have become confusingly frequent in the last couple of years with PikePass interoperability, backup video tolling, and now interoperability with metropolitan Texas--merit press releases that include sign layouts and sign panel details.

route56:

--- Quote from: J N Winkler on July 02, 2017, 06:01:24 PM ---At the Southern Terminal on the Kansas Turnpike, the signs that referred both to K-Tag and PikePass (against a green background, if memory serves) have been removed in favor of a new sign that has just the K-Tag logo against a pink (not purple) background,

--- End quote ---

Maybe they didn't put enough cyan ink in the mixer?

kphoger:
I'll probably be going to Austin this summer, and my deep distaste for driving through Fort Worth is leading me to plan a route into town on US-183 from Lampasas.  I see on the Toll 183A website that I can pay tolls on that highway with Pikepass.

Can someone please confirm that Pikepass is accepted on 183A?
Are there any highways in Austin that don't accept Pikepass?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version