Regional Boards > Central States

Expanded Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas toll transponder interoperability now here!

<< < (14/15) > >>

kphoger:

--- Quote from: J N Winkler on June 03, 2021, 04:54:17 PM ---As this is sounding like a Wichita-to-Wichita-Falls itinerary, I had a look at what Google Maps suggests in terms of briefest journey.  The toll route is 4 hours 21 minutes (299 miles) via I-35/I-44 while the non-toll route is 5 hours 16 minutes (313 miles) via I-35/US 62/US 81/SH 79/various connecting routes.  I'd say about 40 minutes of the added travel time comes from dealing with reduced rural speed limits, and the rest from chewing through built-up areas like Haysville, Wellington, Chickasha, and Comanche.  It's possible to do a lot worse in terms of rural congestion and stoplight infestation.

--- End quote ---

For shunpiking, I'd take US-81 and US-177 south to the Oklahoma state line.  Then I-35 south from Braman to Ardmore.  Then US-70 and OK/TX-79 west to Wichita Falls.  A lot less through-town driving that way, and a lot more four-lane highway.  Approximately an hour longer than the tolled route, though.

route56:
From a simple google search "Towing a trailer K-TAG", I found this

--- Quote ---HOW DOES THE K-TAG KNOW HOW MANY AXLES I HAVE WHEN IíM PULLING A TRAILER OR A BOAT?

As you drive through the toll lane, there is equipment that counts the axles of your vehicle. This equipment tells us how to bill your account for that trip.

--- End quote ---

plain:

--- Quote from: route56 on June 03, 2021, 10:54:05 PM ---From a simple google search "Towing a trailer K-TAG", I found this

--- Quote ---HOW DOES THE K-TAG KNOW HOW MANY AXLES I HAVE WHEN IíM PULLING A TRAILER OR A BOAT?

As you drive through the toll lane, there is equipment that counts the axles of your vehicle. This equipment tells us how to bill your account for that trip.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Which makes sense... I mean, the sensors knows the difference between a full blown tractor trailer and a standard 2-axle vehicle right? So the sensors can tell whether or not someone is towing something.

deathtopumpkins:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 03, 2021, 12:49:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger ---HE Bailey Turnpike toll plaza south of Chickasha ó recently built, and I don't recall the setup.  ???
--- End quote ---

The new I-44 toll plaza at mile marker 66 is basic looking but still nice. There are two cash lanes for each direction situated outboard from the thru lanes that run through the middle of the plaza. There is a spot update of overhead imagery showing the new plaza in Google Earth/Maps.

--- End quote ---

Note that there do appear to be PikePass readers above the cash lanes here: https://goo.gl/maps/wwh1z9qwmQEGeFSy6 so I wouldn't assume you could pay cash at this plaza without the K-TAG being read.

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 08, 2021, 09:08:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 03, 2021, 12:49:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger ---HE Bailey Turnpike toll plaza south of Chickasha ó recently built, and I don't recall the setup.  ???
--- End quote ---

The new I-44 toll plaza at mile marker 66 is basic looking but still nice. There are two cash lanes for each direction situated outboard from the thru lanes that run through the middle of the plaza. There is a spot update of overhead imagery showing the new plaza in Google Earth/Maps.

--- End quote ---

Note that there do appear to be PikePass readers above the cash lanes here: https://goo.gl/maps/wwh1z9qwmQEGeFSy6 so I wouldn't assume you could pay cash at this plaza without the K-TAG being read.

--- End quote ---

Given that particular plaza is staffed with a human toll collector, one could possibly explain the situation to the toll collector and have them delete the K-TAG charge, since toll collectors at other plazas are known to be able to adjust tolls on the fly. However, this may not be an ability that's available at all plazas. The toll collector would hopefully at least be able to indicate who you would need to talk to in order to get the toll adjusted, however.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version