Regional Boards > Mid-South

I-57 Approved

<< < (4/158) > >>

sparker:

--- Quote from: Revive 755 on October 17, 2017, 08:01:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 17, 2017, 05:10:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: Henry on October 17, 2017, 09:16:53 AM ---Now the guessing game can begin as to which one will be completed first: I-57 in MO or I-87 in VA.

--- End quote ---
What about the map that shows Missouri's I-57 (currently ending) at whatever road that is. (The map I am speaking of is in some thread in Mid-South) In that case, does that mean that I57 is (or has) making/made progress in Missouri and we are just waiting for Arkansas to get going?
--- End quote ---

There has not been much if any progress for upgrading US 60 between I-55 and US 67, or US 67 from US 60 to the Arkansas border to a freeway.  AFAIK there's been more progress bringing US 61 up to a freeway north of I-70 to Troy.

Unless there is a big political push to finish the corridor or the locals decided to significantly chip in, the most I see is Missouri doing is four-laning the rest of US 67 down to the border and calling it good.  Even if Missouri does get more funding overall, a good amount of that is likely to go towards rebuilding I-70 and I-44 across the state IMHO.

--- End quote ---

Unless MO folks, including politicos from the SE portion of the state as well as MODOT, are completely oblivious to what's going on regarding this corridor and the developmental activities in AR, the requisite pressure to upgrade US 60 to Interstate standards and construct a freeway paralleling US 67 will likely be forthcoming in the near future.  AFAIK, tentative plans from several years back to 5-lane US 67 south of Poplar Bluff have been put on hold.  Whether this was done for simply fiscal reasons or as an acknowledgement of the potential I-57 corridor supplanting/bypassing the present facility and prompting a rethinking of that route's status isn't presently clear.  It's probable that any plans for these two connecting MO facilities are dependent upon whether or not AR follows through and sets forth concrete plans for their own freeway from Walnut Ridge to the state line.

Scott5114:
Problem is that MoDOT can barely scrape together the cash for the Bella Vista bypass, much less another new interstate project. SE MO might be able to put more pressure on Jeff City than SW MO could, but I wouldn't bet on it—SW MO has a much more concrete need and direct benefit for I-49 (direct freeway connection between Joplin and NW AR) than SE MO can illustrate with I-57 (connecting...Sikeston to Little Rock, I guess?)

--- Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 17, 2017, 02:42:28 PM ---(AR-MO?  Nah, I like "MO-AR" better; much funnier.)

--- End quote ---

It's AR-MO...come on, we're roadgeeks, we always go south to north 'cause the milemarkers do. :P

mvak36:

--- Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 07:38:20 AM ---Problem is that MoDOT can barely scrape together the cash for the Bella Vista bypass, much less another new interstate project. SE MO might be able to put more pressure on Jeff City than SW MO could, but I wouldn't bet on it—SW MO has a much more concrete need and direct benefit for I-49 (direct freeway connection between Joplin and NW AR) than SE MO can illustrate with I-57 (connecting...Sikeston to Little Rock, I guess?)

--- End quote ---

I agree. There are so many projects around the state that need to be done first like the BVB, the three-laning and reconstruction of I-70, etc., that I'm not sure this will happen anytime soon unless they're influenced by political pressure like you said.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 07:38:20 AM ---
--- Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 17, 2017, 02:42:28 PM ---(AR-MO?  Nah, I like "MO-AR" better; much funnier.)

--- End quote ---

It's AR-MO...come on, we're roadgeeks, we always go south to north 'cause the milemarkers do. :P

--- End quote ---

You might be laughing at yourself, but I almost posted the same thing yesterday...

sparker:

--- Quote from: mvak36 on October 19, 2017, 08:44:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 07:38:20 AM ---Problem is that MoDOT can barely scrape together the cash for the Bella Vista bypass, much less another new interstate project. SE MO might be able to put more pressure on Jeff City than SW MO could, but I wouldn't bet on it—SW MO has a much more concrete need and direct benefit for I-49 (direct freeway connection between Joplin and NW AR) than SE MO can illustrate with I-57 (connecting...Sikeston to Little Rock, I guess?)

--- End quote ---

I agree. There are so many projects around the state that need to be done first like the BVB, the three-laning and reconstruction of I-70, etc., that I'm not sure this will happen anytime soon unless they're influenced by political pressure like you said.

--- End quote ---

Basically agree with the above statements -- but once Bella Vista is underway, some level of local activity toward the I-57 project might be in the hopper.  The US 60 portion of the project could be done piecemeal -- one grade separation or shoulder widening project at a time -- but the bigger project along US 67, most likely on new terrain -- will probably be the last piece to be dealt with -- probably on a longer (10+ yrs) timetable.  And, again, it'll be up to AR to finalize the plans for their northernmost portion before MO even looks seriously at doing anything on their side of the line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version