News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland -- E-ZPass fee increase

Started by mefailenglish, January 30, 2009, 08:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mefailenglish

The Maryland Transportation Authority approved a "cost-recovery initiative" on January 29th.

If you have a Maryland-registered E-ZPass, efffective July 1, MTA will be implementing service charges to help recover E-ZPass processing costs, including a $1.50 monthly maintenance charge per account; charging for the cost of new and replacement transponders ($21 standard, $33 exterior, $40 fusion); instituting a $3 Notice of Toll Due charge; and increasing toll violation charges from $15 to $25.

Tolls will also increase for vehicles with 3 or more axles.

More information here:  http://www.mdta.state.md.us/mdta/Home/costrecovery.jsp

Alex

Ugh, my mom's and mine are registered through MDTA. I only use mine when up there and Mom uses her's maybe once a month. Paying $1.50 in tolls per month without going anywhere is not worth it, so I guess I'm gonna get rid of it *major grumble*.

mightyace

Quote from: aaroads on January 30, 2009, 01:24:32 PM
Ugh, my mom's and mine are registered through MDTA. I only use mine when up there and Mom uses her's maybe once a month. Paying $1.50 in tolls per month without going anywhere is not worth it, so I guess I'm gonna get rid of it *major grumble*.

Or, you could try getting your EZ-Pass from a nearby state like PA, DE, VA, etc. that doesn't charge the fees.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alex

I believe Delaware also has a monthly surcharge. I'm not sure what state does not charge it, but I have to go through the process of turning the MD ones in before I open a new account.  :ded:

treichard

A monthly charge is enough for me to scrap my transponder.  In a year, the monthly fees would add up to half of my total EZPass charges.

Of the other states using EZPass, which would be least likely  to start a monthly fee themselves?
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

Alex

Quote from: treichard on January 30, 2009, 02:59:47 PM
A monthly charge is enough for me to scrap my transponder.  In a year, the monthly fees would add up to half of my total EZPass charges.

The fees add up to $14.50 per year and I spend less than $10/yr in tolls with it on average.

Quote from: treichard on January 30, 2009, 02:59:47 PMOf the other states using EZPass, which would be least likely  to start a monthly fee themselves?

Thats the problem, I'm sure that eventually they all will. I believe that NYS was the first to implement this fee.

Fortunately Sunpass does not charge a monthly fee here in Florida, but of course, it does not work with any other state's system...

mightyace

Quote from: aaroads on January 30, 2009, 03:11:06 PM
Quote from: treichard on January 30, 2009, 02:59:47 PM

The fees add up to $14.50 per year and I spend less than $10/yr in tolls with it on average.

Quote from: treichard on January 30, 2009, 02:59:47 PMOf the other states using EZPass, which would be least likely  to start a monthly fee themselves?

Thats the problem, I'm sure that eventually they all will. I believe that NYS was the first to implement this fee.

Fortunately Sunpass does not charge a monthly fee here in Florida, but of course, it does not work with any other state's system...

And, if you don't have an EZ-Pass, you'll get charged more for tolling.  Illinois' cash tolls are TWICE the EZ-pass toll.

Still, if the cash surcharge is less than the EZ-Pass "rental" fee, it is still worth ditching.

This kind of thing makes me glad I'm in Tennessee where we don't have any tolls, for now.

Alex

Yes, you get a 50% discount on the Illinois Tollway system. EZPass also gives you the non-peak discount rates on MTA facilities (unless they revoked that). That discount saved us $1.50 per crossing in 2007.

I want to keep EZPass, I just don't want to be charged $1.50 in implied tolls per month regardless of whether I use the transponder or not.

vdeane

Now I understand why the turnpike authorities are pushing E-ZPass only interchanges: they're trying to get us to pay monthly fees! :angry:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mightyace

Quote from: deanej on February 01, 2009, 04:51:58 PM
Now I understand why the turnpike authorities are pushing E-ZPass only interchanges: they're trying to get us to pay monthly fees! :angry:

Down in Texas, the Westpark and Fort Bend Tollways around Houston are EZ-TAG only.  (EZ-Tag is the local electronic tolling device.)

I guess those highways are only for locals as how many people passing through Houston would have an EZ-Tag?

At least the EZ-Pass device will work anywhere from Illinois to Maine.

Scott5114

I think the EZ-TAG-only highways allow untagged drivers. They take a picture of your license plate and mail you the bill. Not sure though.

Oklahoma has a lot of toll roads but we still have an OTA-only system, Pikepass. Wonder when and if they'll ever get around to making Pikepass EZPass compatible.  :-/
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Some people (like my Dad) don't like that mode of billing and will avoid roads that use it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mightyace

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 05, 2009, 05:55:51 AM
I think the EZ-TAG-only highways allow untagged drivers. They take a picture of your license plate and mail you the bill. Not sure though.

Oklahoma has a lot of toll roads but we still have an OTA-only system, Pikepass. Wonder when and if they'll ever get around to making Pikepass EZPass compatible.  :-/

Thanks.

What I'd really like to see is a national electronic tolling pass that is good anywhere.  The E-ZPass is the closest thing that we have to it so far.   I'd like for the following reasons:
1) I live in an area of the country that has few toll roads.
2) I do like to travel.
3) I hate paying extra simply because I'm a visitor.  (Way to get tourists to come, charge them extra for tolls!)
4) There are simply too many pass type right now. (E-ZPass, E-ZTag, PikePass, SunPass, etc., etc.)

While I'm wishing, I'd also like this universal toll tag to beep and/or flash when it successfully tolls me and tell me how much it tolled me, and if possible, my remaining balance.  I'd like the confirmation because if, for whatever reason, my tag is not queried successfully, I want to take care of the missed payment as soon as possible. I'd like the remaining balance because I don't want to tie my toll-tag account to either my bank account or my credit card and if I see it's getting low, I can refill it.

Sykotyk

Don't forget K-Pass in Kansas. And I'm not sure what the E-470 in Colorado uses, but it's not EZ-Pass (had a friend find out the hard way paying the fine for running the toll booth).

Sykotyk

mightyace

Quote from: Sykotyk on February 06, 2009, 04:04:14 PM
Don't forget K-Pass in Kansas. And I'm not sure what the E-470 in Colorado uses, but it's not EZ-Pass (had a friend find out the hard way paying the fine for running the toll booth).

Sykotyk

That's one of my points.  Outside of the E-ZPass zone there are a plethora of incompatible toll tag systems.  What do I do if I'm a trucker, do I get 30 different transponders depending on where I might go?

vdeane

The Baltimore Sun just did a story on this.  Looks like a clueless reporter; their's no way it costs the state $26 per year to maintain the dormant accounts.  If it does, something's wrong with the way they administer the program; the database cost's the same to administer regardless of the dormant entries.  If it's such a big problem they could just sell the transponders instead of loaning them.

WillWeaverRVA

AFAIK, Virginia does not yet have these surcharges. I haven't seen any on my statements, though I do use mine quite often.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Sykotyk

Quote from: mightyace on February 06, 2009, 04:42:29 PM
That's one of my points.  Outside of the E-ZPass zone there are a plethora of incompatible toll tag systems.  What do I do if I'm a trucker, do I get 30 different transponders depending on where I might go?

Yes. Or, they just pay cash and avoid the ones that bill you.

Besides, if you think car tolls are obscene, check out the price for a 5-axle 80,000 pound truck (this is just the mainline turnpikes):

PA: $133.75 + $18.75 = $152.50 (357 miles)
NY: $84.12 (387 miles; I-90 stretch only)
ME: $20 (106 miles)
MA: $11.25 (131 miles)
NH: $3.00 (15 miles)
KS: $28.25 (236 miles)
NJ: $29.70 (113 miles)
OK: $28.50 (I-44 from Oklahoma City to Missouri, not counting OKC and Tulsa loops)
TX: $20.20 (TX-130 and TX-45 South, roughly 50+ miles)
CO: $44.00 (E-470, a 46-mile long road)
SC: $6.00 (I-185, 14 miles)
IL: $33.00 (I-90, not counting the Skyway)
IL: $38.50 (I-94/I-294, Tri-State)
IL: $31.00 (I-88)
WV: $12.75 (I-64/I-77)
IN: $37.50 (Indiana Toll Road)
OH: $33.50 (236 miles)
VA: $35.00 (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel)
DE: $10 (DE-1)
DE: $9 (Delaware Turnpike, I-95)

Throw in all bridges to New York City are $40, as well as the PA-NJ Delaware crossings. And the bridges/tunnels in Maryland.

Fact is, most tolls truckers pay come off their potential profit. If there is a free alternative, they will take it. No surprise the Texas toll roads have such low truck traffic when their is a free, albeit congested, alternate.

Especially for the cost involved.

Sykotyk

exit322

Yeah, the only truckers that are paying those fees are company drivers that don't have to worry about the cost.

mightyace

Quote from: exit322 on July 27, 2009, 10:17:05 AM
Yeah, the only truckers that are paying those fees are company drivers that don't have to worry about the cost.

And, that's only if the company will let them.  I worked for Roadway Express back in the late 1980's and company policy was to avoid tolls as much as possible (legally).  Of course, back then, as it is now, it is hard to completely avoid them in the Northeast.  Not surprisingly, most of our traffic between Ohio and New York/New England went via I-80!

hbelkins

Quote from: deanej on July 26, 2009, 03:12:24 PM
The Baltimore Sun just did a story on this.  Looks like a clueless reporter; their's no way it costs the state $26 per year to maintain the dormant accounts.  If it does, something's wrong with the way they administer the program; the database cost's the same to administer regardless of the dormant entries.  If it's such a big problem they could just sell the transponders instead of loaning them.

That's not a story, that's an opinion column.

Anyone who's on MTR or the Roadgeek group has seen my rant about the Peace Bridge. i want a fee-free E-ZPass for convenience, Kentucky doesn't have tolls but I'd like to have one for my occasional jaunts into Pennsylvania or any future trips I may take on toll roads in WV, OH, IN or other states. WV charges a $5 annual fee, but a couple of trips on the WV Turnpike will recoup that. The Peace Bridge doesn't charge an annual fee and I ordered tags from them, but they are turtle-slow in delivering and their customer service is God-awful.

My wife's currently on a trip that will take her through toll facilities in WV, MD, DE, NJ, NY and MA. Since the Peace Bridge tags didn't get here in time, I drove up to Charleston on Friday, visited the Turnpike Authority's office, and walked out with an E-ZPass transponder.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Thousands cancel E-ZPass as Md. starts monthly fee

Associated Press - August 21, 2009

ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Maryland Transportation Authority officials say thousands of E-ZPass users have moved to close their accounts as the state starts charging a monthly fee for the service.
Advertisement

Authority statistics show 19,000 users filed requests to close accounts in July, compared to the previous monthly average of 670 requests. The new $1.50-per-month fee went into effect on July 1.

But Authority spokeswoman Teri Moss says the number of dropped accounts is a small fraction of the nearly 560,000 accounts and has been offset somewhat by new accounts.

Moss says the state still has some 70,000 accounts that haven't been used in the past year.

Chris

Geez, only the price of half a BigMac wouldn't be a reason for me to quit something like that.

rawmustard

Quote from: Chris on August 21, 2009, 12:24:41 PM
Geez, only the price of half a BigMac wouldn't be a reason for me to quit something like that.

But you can get an E-ZPass from agencies that don't charge monthly or otherwise non-refundable fees. I'd love to find out the percentage of those dropping Maryland accounts who eventually sign up with an agency that doesn't charge those types of fees.

mightyace

QuoteI'd love to find out the percentage of those dropping Maryland accounts who eventually sign up with an agency that doesn't charge those types of fees.

I'd like to as well, but you'd either have to ask those people and/or query the databases of all agencies they might try to acquire a new EZPass.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.