News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Kentucky to study new interstate beltway around Louisville

Started by tidecat, June 02, 2018, 11:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: vdeane on January 25, 2020, 11:14:02 PM
I don't get it either.  They don't have the money to do Ohio River bridges without tolls but they have the money for this?  :eyebrow:
The bypass would likely be constructed as a toll road.

tidecat

Quote from: ibthebigd on January 25, 2020, 08:27:20 AM
I know this is kind of off topic.

Are people still trying to take the riverfront back and move I-64 to I-265?

SM-G950U
The formal "8664" effort is long dead, but the idea still gets tossed around in public discourse from time to time.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

bandit957

This bypass isn't needed.

But I think it would be keen to have an I-771.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

I'm not sure exactly what the goal of this bypass would be. If it's to move traffic around Louisville, the question of where that traffic is going would be relevant. If there's a need to bypass Louisville on the way to Cincinnati, then the BG Parkway, US 127, I-64, and US 62 make a great route to I-75 north. If it's to alleviate local concerns, then solutions such as adding a TWLTL on KY 44 would be a lot cheaper and solve a lot of problems. I have two first cousins who live on 44 just west of the Floyds Fork bridge, and the whole corridor between Shepherdsville and Mt. Washington has built up since the 1970s. Just adding a center turn lane would take a lot of expensive right of way; buying out hundreds of residences to build a full freeway would be prohibitively expensive.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Ghostbuster

Does Louisville really need a third "beltway"? If the area was a rapidly growing one, and existing Interstates 264 and 265 were tremendously overburdened, I'd say go for it. However, I suspect that is not the case.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 27, 2020, 03:55:39 PM
Does Louisville really need a third "beltway"? If the area was a rapidly growing one, and existing Interstates 264 and 265 were tremendously overburdened, I'd say go for it. However, I suspect that is not the case.
@Houston

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 27, 2020, 04:39:09 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 27, 2020, 03:55:39 PM
@Houston

7.1 million metro population vs. 1.2 million.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

thefro

Seems as dumb to me as the "Indiana Commerce Corridor" proposal in Indiana (and probably dumber since Louisville has two beltways that aren't overloaded whatsoever outside of the peak of rush hour).

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on January 27, 2020, 10:07:08 PM
Exactly my point. There's the need for a 3rd outer beltway in Houston, with a talked about 4th one also on the books, there's not in Louisville.

The only project that needs to happen is an extension of the Bluegrass Pkwy to I-64 / I-75 which would provide a bypass for I-65 to I-71 thru traffic via the Parkway and I-75 only adding an additional 20 miles. This will never happen though thanks to NIMBY in the Lexington area.

rte66man

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 28, 2020, 05:35:07 PM
Exactly my point. There's the need for a 3rd outer beltway in Houston....

I-610, Beltway8/SHT, and Grand Parkway are already completed or in process. Are you saying there should be a 4th or are you not counting 610?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

hotdogPi

Quote from: rte66man on January 31, 2020, 12:30:06 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 28, 2020, 05:35:07 PM
Exactly my point. There's the need for a 3rd outer beltway in Houston....

I-610, Beltway8/SHT, and Grand Parkway are already completed or in process. Are you saying there should be a 4th or are you not counting 610?

He's saying that the existing third beltway is justified.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

sprjus4

Quote from: rte66man on January 31, 2020, 12:30:06 PM
I'm counting I-610 and Beltway 8 as the existing beltways, and that a third one - Grand Parkway, currently under construction - is justified. If anything, you could say there's 4 beltways if you count the Downtown Loop consisting of I-10, I-45, and I-69.

GoDeacs

Does anyone have any idea how long it will likely be before construction on this could start?  Even though additional studies have to be done it seems they are usually just formalities as I believe some big contractors are pushing to make sure this happens with the assistance of those they support in government.  I live approximately 2000 ft from the most likely route and it will be devastating to see the environmental destruction of these rural areas surrounding Louisville for little reason.

SkyPesos

Quote from: GoDeacs on April 27, 2021, 07:00:55 PM
Does anyone have any idea how long it will likely be before construction on this could start?  Even though additional studies have to be done it seems they are usually just formalities as I believe some big contractors are pushing to make sure this happens with the assistance of those they support in government.  I live approximately 2000 ft from the most likely route and it will be devastating to see the environmental destruction of these rural areas surrounding Louisville for little reason.
I doubt Louisville would get a third beltway. The second (I-265) is 4 lanes in most areas, which may be saying that it's not heavily used.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 27, 2021, 10:04:57 PM
Is Lousiville big enough for a third beltway?
With a metro population of 1.3mil, I'm going with a hard no. There's tons of metro areas with double that population that doesn't even have a second beltway.

I-55

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 27, 2021, 08:15:03 PM
Quote from: GoDeacs on April 27, 2021, 07:00:55 PM
I doubt Louisville would get a third beltway. The second (I-265) is 4 lanes in most areas, which may be saying that it's not heavily used.
And if the need for more beltway arises they can easily widen 265
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 27, 2021, 10:13:25 PM
With a metro population of 1.3mil, I'm going with a hard no. There's tons of metro areas with double that population that doesn't even have a second beltway.

I agree. Definitely not.

It would make a lot more sense to finish the southwestern quadrant of the beltway they already have and provide another Ohio River crossing. It's crazy that there are no Ohio River crossings between I-64 and Brandenburg.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on April 27, 2021, 10:29:22 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on April 27, 2021, 10:13:25 PM

I agree. Definitely not.

It would make a lot more sense to finish the southwestern quadrant of the beltway they already have and provide another Ohio River crossing. It's crazy that there are no Ohio River crossings between I-64 and Brandenburg.

The terrain southwest of the I-64 crossing does not lend itself to another crossing, and with the sparse population of that area on the IN side, there isn't huge demand either. Upgrades to Cane Run/Greenbelt would be less expensive and just as effective.

Having lived in both the Louisville area and now Northwest Indiana, I can say that the Illiana is a much more necessary highway than another Louisville beltway. I get that it's different states proposing them, but that's the comparison.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 28, 2021, 07:24:10 AM

The terrain southwest of the I-64 crossing does not lend itself to another crossing, and with the sparse population of that area on the IN side, there isn't huge demand either. Upgrades to Cane Run/Greenbelt would be less expensive and just as effective.

I think there would be plenty of demand if there was another river crossing.

GoDeacs

Why would KY have spent so much time and money on creating several rounds of detailed proposals if it will likely not be built?  It seems someone at some level must be pushing it?  There are so many highways such as KY44 in the region that need to be expanded yet this project appears to be being pushed to the front of the line.

SkyPesos

Quote from: GoDeacs on April 28, 2021, 11:53:26 AM
Why would KY have spent so much time and money on creating several rounds of detailed proposals if it will likely not be built?
That happens with tons of road projects around the nation. One regional example is I-73 in Ohio and Michigan. Both states dropped out that idea after studying it extensively in the 90s.

Rothman

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 28, 2021, 11:55:29 AM
Quote from: GoDeacs on April 28, 2021, 11:53:26 AM
Why would KY have spent so much time and money on creating several rounds of detailed proposals if it will likely not be built?
That happens with tons of road projects around the nation. One regional example is I-73 in Ohio and Michigan. Both states dropped out that idea after studying it extensively in the 90s.
See also the millions spent by NY on the Rooftop and Long Island Sound crossing...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on April 28, 2021, 11:45:53 AM

Where does the crossing go and then where does the road go once it crosses? A crossing at the end of the Snyder freeway dumps you out on IN 111 south of IN 211, which is a very desolate area. If you try to go inland from the river at all you hit some very steep terrain. There's really no use for a crossing there. There's no crossing between New Albany and Mauckport because there's nothing there to justify having one.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 28, 2021, 12:52:50 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 28, 2021, 11:45:53 AM

Where does the crossing go and then where does the road go once it crosses? A crossing at the end of the Snyder freeway dumps you out on IN 111 south of IN 211, which is a very desolate area. If you try to go inland from the river at all you hit some very steep terrain. There's really no use for a crossing there. There's no crossing between New Albany and Mauckport because there's nothing there to justify having one.

The end of the Snyder freeway seems like the logical place for a crossing if it was going to eventually be part of a complete I-265. It would probably have to be a CSVT-style crossing where the roadway remains elevated for ~1000 ft on the Indiana side.

It may seem like there's not much demand because it's all getting pushed to Louisville, but I imagine I-64 and the western side of I-264 are no picnic during peak times. If there was another crossing with a connection to I-64, it would get plenty of use by traffic connecting between I-64 WB and I-65 SB and vice versa. That would also reduce the burden on the I-64 crossing. I'm not saying this is a high priority, but it is certainly a much higher priority than a third beltway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.