News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on February 14, 2016, 07:48:39 AM
The fact that I-78 is virtually a tangent from the I-81 junction to the U.S. 22 split near Allentown doesn't help either IMO (causes highway hypnosis).  I'm lucky to have never been in a I-78 mishap or inconvenienced by one.

ixnay
See, I don't feel that way. It does have some minor horizontal bends, but vertically it keeps changing, and you're in a narrow trench (on and off) for several miles. With the constant jockeying among trucks and slow PA drivers, I've never had a dull moment on 78.

74/171FAN

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 13, 2016, 11:41:31 PM
Though IMO there are Interstates in Pennsylvania that are much more of a challenge to drive when compared to I-78 - most of "free" I-70 and nearly all of I-83 in Pennsylvania are in that category.

Maybe it was just me, but now that I got a chance to drive the Schuylkill Expressway portion of I-76 when it was not congested, I feel that it is safer to drive on there when it is congested due to how substandard it is.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 15, 2016, 06:50:36 AM
Though IMO there are Interstates in Pennsylvania that are much more of a challenge to drive when compared to I-78 - most of "free" I-70 and nearly all of I-83 in Pennsylvania are in that category.

Maybe it was just me, but now that I got a chance to drive the Schuylkill Expressway portion of I-76 when it was not congested, I feel that it is safer to drive on there when it is congested due to how substandard it is.

LOL

From 676 on North it's not too bad. Its a little hairy South of 676 in the tunnel and approaching Passyunk Ave. But considering I've been on it several times when it's entirely possible to go well above the speed limit, I guess I'm just used to it!

Gnutella

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 13, 2016, 05:38:23 PM
I am linking the PennLive update on this.  This incident and the fatal crash on PA 641 at Locust Point Road west of Mechanicsburg on Tuesday involving a school bus and knocking down power lines has made it a long, sad week up here.

Agreed. That school bus crash was bad enough.

I-78 seems to have earned a lot of notoriety of late for bad crashes, and the high percentage of truck traffic (at least some of the trucks presumably shunpiking the Pennsylvania Turnpike and its high tolls) does not make matters better.

But I-70 and I-83 seem to have far fewer major accidents than I-78 does. And the crazy thing about this pileup is that it occurred on a reconstructed segment that actually exceeds Interstate standards with 12' interior and exterior shoulders despite having only four lanes. I'm beginning to think that people so lack any sense of self-preservation that they don't even think to slow down in the snow. Seriously, if I was able to drive for 53 miles in a rear-wheel-drive pickup truck during a major ice storm without even coming close to crashing, then I really don't see how these pileups can happen. You treat a snow squall the same way you treat a sudden burst of heavy rain: You can see it in advance, so slow down before you enter it. It's common sense.

Anyway, based on what I saw on Google Maps, I-78 appears to be substandard from 10 miles east of the I-81 split to one mile west of the U.S. 22 split. That's about 40 miles of highway that needs to be reconstructed.

briantroutman

Quote from: Gnutella on February 25, 2016, 11:10:26 PM
Anyway, based on what I saw on Google Maps, I-78 appears to be substandard from 10 miles east of the I-81 split to one mile west of the U.S. 22 split. That's about 40 miles of highway that needs to be reconstructed.

Or in other words, the section that was built in the '50s as the US 22 freeway prior to its inclusion into Pennsylvania's Interstate network. It's basically the same scenario with I-83 (originally an upgraded US 111) and substandard section of I-70 (originally billed "new PA 71" ).

I wouldn't describe I-78 as being as deficient as either I-83 or I-70 between Washington (Pa) and New Stanton, however. With a few exceptions, the highway at least offers ten-foot interior shoulders and twelve feet on the exterior. There's a lot of substandard ramp geometry, but there have been some improvements (such as at Hamburg), and many of the exits are low-volume interchanges where few people get off or on (Frystown, Grimes, New Smithville, etc.)

froggie

Quote from: Gnutellaon a reconstructed segment that actually exceeds meets Interstate standards with 12' interior and exterior shoulders on a heavy truck route despite having only four lanes.

FTFY, since Interstate design standards say a 12ft shoulder should be considered where truck traffic is heavy.

Mergingtraffic

Isn't there a huge stub here? Does this mean it will finally be used?

Bids Announced for the Route 219 Paving Contract from Somerset to Meyersdale

02/25/2016

​Hollidaysburg, PA — PennDOT today announced the bid results for the paving phase of the Route 219 Somerset to Meyersdale project that will build approximately 11 miles of new, four-lane limited-access highway from Somerset to Meyersdale in Summit, Black, Brothersvalley and Somerset townships, Somerset County.

The paving phase is the third and final phase of the project and includes final grading, paving, guiderail, drainage, and interchange work, including lighting.

The first two phases of the project were the earthwork phase and the structures phase. These phases are currently under construction.

The apparent low bidder was New Enterprise Stone & Lime Co., Inc., of New Enterprise with a bid amount of $52,124,021. They were the lowest of four bidders. PennDOT will now review the bid materials from New Enterprise Stone & Lime Co., Inc. If the information is complete and in order, the construction contract should be awarded to the company within the next month.

"We're very excited to be moving forward with the final phase of the project and expect the highway to be open to traffic by 2018. This project has been a long time coming and once complete will provide improved safety and mobility for the traveling public as well as economic growth potential for the region,"  said Thomas Prestash, PennDOT District 9-0 Executive.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cl94

That stretch has been under construction for a couple of years and yes, it does involve the stub. Once it is open, US 219 will be a continuous freeway from a few miles north of the Maryland line to Ebensburg, about 1/3 of its length in the state.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 27, 2016, 01:33:41 PM
Isn't there a huge stub here? Does this mean it will finally be used?

Bids Announced for the Route 219 Paving Contract from Somerset to Meyersdale

02/25/2016

​Hollidaysburg, PA — PennDOT today announced the bid results for the paving phase of the Route 219 Somerset to Meyersdale project that will build approximately 11 miles of new, four-lane limited-access highway from Somerset to Meyersdale in Summit, Black, Brothersvalley and Somerset townships, Somerset County.

The paving phase is the third and final phase of the project and includes final grading, paving, guiderail, drainage, and interchange work, including lighting.

The first two phases of the project were the earthwork phase and the structures phase. These phases are currently under construction.

The apparent low bidder was New Enterprise Stone & Lime Co., Inc., of New Enterprise with a bid amount of $52,124,021. They were the lowest of four bidders. PennDOT will now review the bid materials from New Enterprise Stone & Lime Co., Inc. If the information is complete and in order, the construction contract should be awarded to the company within the next month.

"We're very excited to be moving forward with the final phase of the project and expect the highway to be open to traffic by 2018. This project has been a long time coming and once complete will provide improved safety and mobility for the traveling public as well as economic growth potential for the region,"  said Thomas Prestash, PennDOT District 9-0 Executive.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2269.0 ;)

jemacedo9

From PennDOT:  Pennsylvania Turnpike and PennDOT Announce Next Step for Planned I-81-Turnpike Beltway for Scranton Region

http://www.penndot.gov/Pages/all-news-details.aspx?newsid=218#.VyJoB3fD_IU

QuoteThe plan calls for highway-speed connections that will enable motorists to seamlessly drive from interstate to interstate in northbound and southbound directions. It includes two separate links: one connection south of Scranton in the Borough of Dupont and Pittston Township, Luzerne County, and a second connection north of Scranton in South Abington Township, Lackawanna County.

QuoteEnvironmental studies and preliminary design for the Scranton Beltway are expected to last three to four years with a cost of up to $10 million. Final design would start at the completion of preliminary design. Following design, construction could start as soon as 2021. The construction cost is estimated at around $160 million; PennDOT will contribute $40 million, with the remaining portion funded by the Turnpike.

vdeane

Given how the I-95/I-276 interchange is being handled, construction starting in 2021 is overly optimistic.  2071 seems more likely.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

WNEP Channel 16 (ABC in Scranton, Pennsylvania): Wrong-Way Drivers: The PennDOT Interview

QuoteThe problem of wrong-way driving in our area lately has received so much attention, and so much reaction from our viewers, that Newswatch 16 traveled to Harrisburg to talk with the head of PennDOT.

QuoteIt appears as though Pennsylvania is in the middle of elaborate research studies on an issue Newswatch 16 has been reporting on this month: wrong-way driving on interstate highways.

QuotePennsylvania is among nearly a half dozen states in the northeast taking part in research focused on wrong-way driving on highways.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Question for those of you who live near or travel I-80 in the Poconos.  Are the Pocono Exits signs still there along the interstate from the Delaware River to Hazelton listing the next three exits by exit number?

I cannot remember for sure, but the last time I was there in 01, along that road, I could have thought I saw those particular signs amended to list the exits by mileage rather than be exit number.  I was wondering if that recollection was correct?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

briantroutman

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I drove from New York to central PA about a month ago and can verify that this sign is still in place: https://goo.gl/maps/9sXrmDUA37R2

I recall an earlier, button copy version of the sign that was basically the same except in button copy and with the earlier sequential exit numbers rather than the current mileage-based ones.

roadman65

Nice find, but there were others like west of Stroudsburg with:

Pocono Exits
46N Bartonsville
45  Tannersvile
44  Scotrun

Then I believe there was one west of Dreher Avenue:
46S Snydersville
46N Bartonsville
45   Tannersville

They used to be button copy, but I swore that one reflective sign had it the same way with the next 3 exits but instead of using the exit number before the town it services, it was followed after the community with a mileage number.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.986063,-75.2324126,3a,75y,173.84h,69.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1serE6NM6gxY8YEncW5UVZlQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Above is the exit list sign for EB I-80 for its two Stroudsburg Exits.  Notice how it list the distance to both Main Street and Park Avenue.  I believe before it listed the former exit numbers 48- Main St. and 50- Park Ave with no mileage to either exits.  The same goes for the Pocono list exits sign.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flyer78

Here is one off I-81 in Scranton, https://goo.gl/maps/MZJ3rxvU9zo

In the time after conversion, the sequential exit numbers were covered up, leaving just the exit destination and distance. (Both the current (2014) image and the oldest in GSV show the mile-based exists in place)

I tried to find a similar sign on I-80, I remember it, but not coming up with it.

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman65 on June 09, 2016, 08:07:29 PM
Nice find, but there were others like west of Stroudsburg with:

Pocono Exits
46N Bartonsville
45  Tannersvile
44  Scotrun

My guess is that the Pocono-area signs were gone by the early 2000s, because that's when I began driving, and I don't recall having seen them. Of course I might have just overlooked them.

There are still signs around Hazleton like the ones you described (https://goo.gl/maps/4ByBsWA99mN2), although they do include mileage to the interchange, and the exit numbers (I believe two-digit sequential numbers) have since been greened out.

CentralPAGal

The first step of I-83 East Shore Section 1 starts next week:

http://abc27.com/2016/06/09/major-closure-and-detour-in-dauphin-county-starts-on-june-15/

'Bout damn time...
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

noelbotevera

Quote from: CentralPAguy on June 10, 2016, 06:12:26 PM

http://abc27.com/2016/06/09/major-closure-and-detour-in-dauphin-county-starts-on-june-15/

'Bout damn time...
FINALLY. That section is so narrow and substandard, I have no idea why it didn't stay as US 230. Now we wait for them to fix the I-83/Turnpike interchange, 83/581, and the Eisenhower.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

ARMOURERERIC

But will they be smart enough to bridge spans to accomodate 8 lanes if it ever becomes needed.

billpa

'Bout damn time...
This is my home area and I travel it daily. It'll be a mess for years but I welcome it.

SM-T230NU

74/171FAN

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 11, 2016, 07:05:27 AM
But will they be smart enough to bridge spans to accomodate 8 lanes if it ever becomes needed.
See here for the Preliminary Design.  Practically there will be 6 lanes plus 2 auxiliary lanes between each interchange when the project is finally complete.  Ultimately the north end will tie into the current ramp configuration at the I-81/I-83 interchange. 

Also the I-81 widening to three lanes from I-83 to Linglestown/Paxtonia (Exit 72)(the next exit northbound) is supposed to start later this year as well.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CentralPAGal

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 11, 2016, 10:04:30 AM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 11, 2016, 07:05:27 AM
See here for the Preliminary Design.  Practically there will be 6 lanes plus 2 auxiliary lanes between each interchange when the project is finally complete.  Ultimately the north end will tie into the current ramp configuration at the I-81/I-83 interchange. 

Also the I-81 widening to three lanes from I-83 to Linglestown/Paxtonia (Exit 72)(the next exit northbound) is supposed to start later this year as well.
That, and the section from PA 114 to PA 581 as well, if I am not mistaken. Been keeping an ear out for those projects, but haven't heard anything about them lately.

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 11, 2016, 04:21:11 AM

'Bout damn time...
FINALLY. That section is so narrow and substandard, I have no idea why it didn't stay as US 230. Now we wait for them to fix the I-83/Turnpike interchange, 83/581, and the Eisenhower.

The Eisenhower is a realistic expectation. The other two, not so sure. Given that they just modified it, and the fact that further upgrades aren't in Penndot's 12 year plan, I wouldn't expect to even hear about a full reconstruction of 83/581 for another decade, at minimum. That said, looks like the Lowther st. bridge that was redone in 2012, was designed with expansion in mind. I-83/Turnpike interchange reconfiguration? That's simply not going to happen unless the PTC plans to widen the turnpike under I-83 and has to do work around there
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

Roadsguy

Quote from: CentralPAguy on June 12, 2016, 07:15:07 PM
Given that they just modified it, and the fact that further upgrades aren't in Penndot's 12 year plan, I wouldn't expect to even hear about a full reconstruction of 83/581 for another decade, at minimum. That said, looks like the Lowther st. bridge that was redone in 2012, was designed with expansion in mind.

PennDOT at least had a much better redesign as part of the "Master Plan" for I-83. Not sure if that's been pushed to the far back burner, with the new design being mostly a quick fix, or cancelled outright in favor of the new design.

The Lowther St. bridge really does have plenty of room, and the new I-83 mainline and SB on-ramp from 581 in the original design appear to fit right into the new bridge.

Quote from: CentralPAguy on June 12, 2016, 07:15:07 PM
I-83/Turnpike interchange reconfiguration? That's simply not going to happen unless the PTC plans to widen the turnpike under I-83 and has to do work around there

The PTC has ultimate plans to widen the entire Turnpike to six lanes, except in the tunnels, so a widening under I-83 would happen eventually. As for an actual interchange redesign, though, there isn't much room to redesign it and tie in the interchange immediately north on 83, so a beefed-up double-trumpet and maybe an extra slip ramp or two are probably all that would ever happen.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

cl94

I was on US 15 yesterday between the New York border and Mansfield and the speed limit is indeed 70. PennDOT must have bumped up the limit pretty quickly after it was announced. Heading north, the limit drops to 65 immediately north of the last exit in PA, but raises to 70 immediately after crossing the state line SB.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.