News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

Quote from: jemacedo9 on September 29, 2016, 02:31:03 PM
The only small credence I'll give it is - this happened not too long after the gap in PA 581 was closed, which was when the entire road was designated PA 581.  Before then, the freeway ended at US 11/Carlisle Pike, and had no posted number. So...to encourage folks to use PA 581 instead of getting hung up on I-83 on the East Shore, this was a way to assert that the combination of I-81, I-83, and PA 581 could be considered a Beltway.  I'm OK with it.

I might have been on that "unnumbered" freeway one Easter Sunday in the early '80s when when I visted my stepsister and her husband.  They lived in Camp Hill at the time.  My mom, stepdad, and I drove out the turnpike from our Philly-area home to see them (my first time in the Harrisburg area on the ground, although I'd flown over the area [spotting the capitol dome and TMI] in passenger planes previously).  [EDIT:  I'd also been to Hersheypark and Chocolate World a few years earlier [before my mom met my stepdad], and I guess Hershey counts as "the Harrisburg area".]

I'm sure PennDOT had a number for that "unnumbered" freeway somewhere in their paper work (581, maybe)?

ixnay

roadman65

It was only unnumbered from US 15 to I-83.  It was US 11 where the US route is now cosigned with it.  Signs from I-83 read "TO US 11 & 15- Camp Hill- Gettysburg and from US 11 & 15 I think it was just signed TO I-83 with either Harrisburg alone or both Harrisburg and York,
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

epzik8

So are they re-doing the entire southbound carriageway of I-81 between MM 96 and 106? I went through there today and the northbound carriageway is two-way with southbound traffic using the normal northbound left lane currently.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

74/171FAN

Quote from: epzik8 on October 04, 2016, 03:11:39 PM
So are they re-doing the entire southbound carriageway of I-81 between MM 96 and 106? I went through there today and the northbound carriageway is two-way with southbound traffic using the normal northbound left lane currently.

Yes, ultimately they will have done both directions.  I-81 should be back to the normal four-lane configuration by May 2017.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cl94

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 04, 2016, 06:42:10 PM

Yes, ultimately they will have done both directions.  I-81 should be back to the normal four-lane configuration by May 2017.

Is traffic decent in that section? I'd rather not chance I-78 heading down to the Alabama meet on Friday, but I might cut down 209/33 if it has been bad lately.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

74/171FAN

Quote from: cl94 on October 04, 2016, 06:48:00 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 04, 2016, 06:42:10 PM

Is traffic decent in that section? I'd rather not chance I-78 heading down to the Alabama meet on Friday, but I might cut down 209/33 if it has been bad lately.

From having seen travel times from traveling I-81 and I-78 somewhat frequently this year, I would say you may be fine in the morning or overnight (I went through there around 10 PM on the way back from the Albany meet about a week ago with no issues).  However, the worst through there is usually Friday afternoons and evenings.  Also in the morning and afternoon rush hours, there can be back ups (sometimes even as far as the exit for PA 743 (Exit 80) on Fridays) on I-81 SB from north of the Linglestown/Paxtonia Interchange (Exit 72) to where it widens leading to the I-83 interchange.

When it comes to I-78, I have never had any problems west of the US 22 merge just west of Allentown.  I will mention that you should be cautious around the PA 737 (Exit 40) Exit near Krumsville due to I-78 having no shoulders as a result of the construction there.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cl94

Alright, thanks. I'd probably be passing through there around 9 AM, so sounds like I'd be fine on I-81. I have no desire to use I-287 during rush hour due to the uncertainty and 209 adds around 20 minutes in good conditions.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MASTERNC

This doesn't seem to be mentioned (also appears to have been little fanfare) but Pennsylvania's first DDI opened last month in Washington.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160914/officials_say_diverging_diamond_traffic_flowing_well_in_south_strabane

jemacedo9

Quote from: jemacedo9 on March 08, 2015, 06:47:41 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 08, 2015, 05:14:05 PM
Are there any plans to extend the US-202 freeway east of Doylestown? I was in the area today and there looked to be some road way at the eastern stub end of the bypass. That 2-lane section of US-202 is barely adequate for the traffic in the area. Tons of rim busting potholes too, typical PA.

No, and in fact, there is a project just starting to basically get rid of the stub ending there, make US 202 a straight-thru movement, have E State St end at US 202 as a T-intersection, and add left turn lanes at the PA 313/US 202 intersection.

The new alignment of the east end of the US202 Doylestown Bypass is open; it's a pretty seamless transition now.   Also, US 202 Business is now signed on the old US 202 alignments, including a multiplex with PA 309.  I didn't notice any references to US 202 Business on US 202 South at all, but the BGSs on PA 611 do reference US 202 Business.  I am not in this area often, so I don't know when any of this was actually completed.

74/171FAN

Quote from: CentralPAguy on July 15, 2016, 09:45:57 PM
Update: I-83 East Shore Section 1 is under way. As of yesterday, the Elmerton Ave Bridge, which closed last month, is currently being dismantled. The approaches to the bridge have been dug out, and the structure over the beam has been removed. I suspect that they will be removing the beams very soon. Additionally, at least one new ramp alignment (SW quadrant) has been graded at the US 22 interchange.

Edit: Rolling closures on I-83 tonight to Monday morning to remove old bridge beams. http://fox43.com/2016/07/16/overnight-traffic-stoppages-scheduled-for-i-83-in-colonial-park-area/

The Elmerton Ave Bridge over I-83 reopened last week on Election Day.  Somehow I did not realize it was open until today as I drove on it heading back to my apartment.

74/171FAN

From US 11/US 15 closure thread:
Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 24, 2016, 03:41:02 PM
On US22/US 322, there are new *temporary* 2/10 mile markers between Clarks Ferry and PA 39...in Clearview, with a not-so-normal green.  Temporary, as in, the signs are standing on the shoulder, held by sand bags like other Work Zone signage.  Seems to be, this would have been a good time to put in permanent mile markers, since there have been permanent ones east/south of PA 39 for years...

A local fire official wants permanent mile markers along this section of US 22/322.  Note that these were removed shortly after the US 11/15 closure ended and the article mentions other funding priorities.

noelbotevera

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 23, 2016, 05:11:21 PM
On US22/US 322, there are new *temporary* 2/10 mile markers between Clarks Ferry and PA 39...in Clearview, with a not-so-normal green.  Temporary, as in, the signs are standing on the shoulder, held by sand bags like other Work Zone signage.  Seems to be, this would have been a good time to put in permanent mile markers, since there have been permanent ones east/south of PA 39 for years...

A local fire official wants permanent mile markers along this section of US 22/322.  Note that these were removed shortly after the US 11/15 closure ended and the article mentions other funding priorities.
I feel like they also have to fix the milemarkers south of the Clarks Ferry Bridge to I-81. They're confusing because some of them list the route as US 22, but the mileage is US 322's. It hasn't been fixed for at least more than two years, as they've been the same since late 2014.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

74/171FAN

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 23, 2016, 08:22:59 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 23, 2016, 05:11:21 PM

I feel like they also have to fix the milemarkers south of the Clarks Ferry Bridge to I-81. They're confusing because some of them list the route as US 22, but the mileage is US 322's. It hasn't been fixed for at least more than two years, as they've been the same since late 2014.

Actually the permanent ones are only between PA 39 and I-81.  There are none west of PA 39 that I know of since the temporary ones were removed.  Also I believe that the mile markers should be for US 22 since it is SR 22 in RMS.

jemacedo9

PA Interstate News:
I-81 returned to 4 lanes in Schuylkill County reconstruction zone (Exits 100-104):
http://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffices/district-5/pages/details.aspx?newsid=653

I-95 widening to 8 lanes completed in Philadelphia on either side of Exit 30/PA 73/Cottman Ave
http://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffices/district-6/Pages/details.aspx?newsid=980

epzik8

Quote from: jemacedo9 on December 22, 2016, 07:53:48 PM
PA Interstate News:
I-81 returned to 4 lanes in Schuylkill County reconstruction zone (Exits 100-104):

I went through this portion of I-81 in early October returning from the Poconos and I uploaded footage of that mess to YouTube.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

74/171FAN

Quote from: epzik8 on December 25, 2016, 02:58:42 PM
PA Interstate News:
I went through this portion of I-81 in early October returning from the Poconos and I uploaded footage of that mess to YouTube.

This was briefly discussed here.

cpzilliacus

PA Interstate News:

I-95 widening to 8 lanes completed in Philadelphia on either side of Exit 30/PA 73/Cottman Ave
http://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffices/district-6/Pages/details.aspx?newsid=980

Good news on both, which had miserable no-shoulder work zones (the mostly cattle chute work zone on I-81 in Schuylkill County around Ravine was probably worse because of the  relatively steep grades).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

Why are the ramps linking PA 51/PA 837 to the West End Bridge in Pittsburgh closed?

ixnay

noelbotevera

In other news, some progress has been done to connect the US 322 freeway gap between State College and Potters Mills. They're a little behind on the project, as no construction has been done ever since August 2016. Project website here.

I'm not sure why this wasn't done when the freeway was extended west of Lewistown. The only places that could be affected are mostly businesses that could set up shop in State College instead of out in the boonies. There's quite a bit of land south of State College that could be developed, such as on PA 45 between Pine Grove Mills and Boalsburg.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

froggie

Funding, or lack thereof.  Plus, at the time, the focus was on doing something about the "Lewistown Narrows" section between Lewistown and Cuba Mills...that was finally rectified about a decade ago.

jpi

I am considering doing at least 2 central PA road meets in 2018 and 2019, 2018 may be focusing on this project and the Central Susquehanna Valley Expressway project near Selinsgrove, 2019 would be the diverging diamond interchange at Shrewsbury.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

Quote from: jpi on January 02, 2017, 07:09:12 PM
I am considering doing at least 2 central PA road meets in 2018 and 2019, 2018 may be focusing on this project and the Central Susquehanna Valley Expressway project near Selinsgrove, 2019 would be the diverging diamond interchange at Shrewsbury.

I guess the bigger question at this point would be which one includes I-83 in Harrisburg.  I would presume 2019 as the bridges for Phase 1 should be done by then.

jpi

Yes 2019 but I am thinking of some other options for this meet, they include checking out the re-aligned PA 214 in Loganville and possibly a rail trail that goes through one of the oldest still active railroad tunnels in the USA, stay tuned for more details but again, this all hinges on when the Shrewsbury diverging diamond interchange construction starts.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

briantroutman

Quote from: briantroutman on May 23, 2015, 05:04:17 PM
I had to look this one up–the PennDOT spec drawing for the assembly is below.

"New England"  makes a bit more sense considered in the context of the I-81 North - To I-84 shields and legend above, and previously, there had been supplemental signs "TRUCKS - USE I-81 and I-84 to New England" , but I still don't like its use as a control point.

I wonder if this signals a shift in thinking at PennDOT, and future I-80 signage will likewise include NYC as a control city.

Excuse me if this was already posted, but this sign has now been installed (in ugly Clearview, unfortunately):

Rothman

I can't remember if there are similar signs down in the Harrisburg area, directing New England-bound traffic to I-84.  If there are, it's probably ineffective since GoogleMaps has routed me across I-78 and "through" the City from that area to get to Hartford, Springfield or Boston for a few years now.  Makes sense from I-80; just not so sure about from I-81/PA Turnpike down south.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.