News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

QuoteMaybe New Jersey should be replaced with New York City--although, here in the Cincinnati area, Kentucky is used as a control point for I-275 east and west of the city.

The PA 33 SB ramp to I-78 EB is the only knowledge I know of when it comes to a reference to New York City.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

PHLBOS

It's worth noting that the New Jersey listing for I-78 eastbound in this area has existed for a while and long before FHWA/MUTCD got anal (IMHO) regarding using state names as control destinations.  The newer BGS' (w/the Clearview font) appear to be a match-in-kind in terms of destination listings.

For the eastbound I-78/US 22 split; the use of either Easton, Phillipsburg (NJ) or Newark (NJ) would meet the newer criteria at this location.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

sbeaver44

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 02, 2017, 09:21:50 AM
It's worth noting that the New Jersey listing for I-78 eastbound in this area has existed for a while and long before FHWA/MUTCD got anal (IMHO) regarding using state names as control destinations.  The newer BGS' (w/the Clearview font) appear to be a match-in-kind in terms of destination listings.

For the eastbound I-78/US 22 split; the use of either Easton, Phillipsburg (NJ) or Newark (NJ) would meet the newer criteria at this location.
I wonder if the New Jersey thing relates to the fact that US 22 stops being freeway just into NJ and when 78 was built as the "new" bypass it was a hint that anyone going anywhere in NJ on 78 should use 78 now instead of 22.

Personally I usually take 22 going to NYC because I like the drop into Easton and always stop at Wawa in Phillipsburg for gas and food, as it is approximately halfway for me.

And I noticed the Green TPK 476 last week at Exit 51.  Interesting for sure.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Gnutella on February 28, 2017, 06:28:08 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on February 28, 2017, 03:27:27 PM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on February 28, 2017, 02:59:29 PM
I'm quite curious to see what the plans are for the new Eisenhower Interchange, and  the new I-283/PA-283/PA Turnpike interchange...

It looks like movements from 322 to 83, Hershey to downtown are only one lane, is this problematic

This is what was included in the I-83 Master Plan PennDOT released in 2003.

That 2003 plan didn't mention the 283/283 interchange, but based on the tepid language in the Patriot-News article ("... shifting the ramp from Route 283 to the Turnpike interchange to remove the traffic "˜weave'..." ), my expectations are low, unfortunately. It might be as simple as removing the loop ramp from PA 283 westbound to the Turnpike and replacing it with a left turn instead.

That's one thing PennDOT has begun to do that I wish other transportation agencies would adopt: keeping the main right-of-way intact and high-speed through an interchange even as the highway changes direction. They've done it with I-81 at its junction with I-84 in Scranton, I-78 at its junction with U.S. 22 in Allentown, I-99 at its junction with U.S. 322 in State College, and I-279 at its junction with I-579 in Pittsburgh. They're also doing it with I-95 at its junction with the Pennsylvania Turnpike. In a lot of other states, there are still lots of junctions where highways exit themselves and/or drop to one lane as they change direction.

PHLBOS

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 04, 2017, 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on March 02, 2017, 09:21:50 AM

I wonder if the New Jersey thing relates to the fact that US 22 stops being freeway just into NJ and when 78 was built as the "new" bypass it was a hint that anyone going anywhere in NJ on 78 should use 78 now instead of 22.
No doubt, that was the reasoning.  And, again, the original legends were approved well before FHWA/MUTCD changed their criteria regarding what can be used as control cities.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: briantroutman on March 01, 2017, 11:56:05 AM
I looked but couldn’t find where this had been mentioned:

The signage at the I-78/US 22 split west of Allentown was replaced in the past year, and the new signs replace 476’s Interstate shield with one of the PTC’s green PA Turnpike keystones.

https://goo.gl/maps/W7Z43KGMDpN2

and exploring up to US-22 and PA-309, I see all of the original non-reflective button copy has finally been replaced with crap.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

sbeaver44

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 06, 2017, 04:15:50 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on March 01, 2017, 11:56:05 AM
I looked but couldn’t find where this had been mentioned:

The signage at the I-78/US 22 split west of Allentown was replaced in the past year, and the new signs replace 476’s Interstate shield with one of the PTC’s green PA Turnpike keystones.

https://goo.gl/maps/W7Z43KGMDpN2

and exploring up to US-22 and PA-309, I see all of the original non-reflective button copy has finally been replaced with crap.

Speaking of Cedar Crest Blvd, did PA 29 ever terminate at US 22?  It stops at 78/309 now, but that section of highway is less than 30 yrs old.  I read the wiki page for PA 29, has an interesting history, but didn't pick up on that answer.

Also, it's funny that US 222 continues as a SR 222 at either end of itself.

jemacedo9

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 20, 2017, 08:24:40 PM

Speaking of Cedar Crest Blvd, did PA 29 ever terminate at US 22?  It stops at 78/309 now, but that section of highway is less than 30 yrs old.  I read the wiki page for PA 29, has an interesting history, but didn't pick up on that answer.

Also, it's funny that US 222 continues as a SR 222 at either end of itself.

That section of highway was PA 309 well before I-78 was there...it was reconstructed and widened ~30 years ago to be part of I-78.  The section of I-78 east of PA 309/PA 145 was new construction, as well as the small part west of US 222.

I believe the two PA 29s were once connected roughly along PA 309...back when the two routes went through Slatington along PA 873, Palmerton along PA 248, multiplexed along US 209 to Jim Thorpe, and then along PA 93 to Hazleton.  This explains the existence of PA 329.

I personally would renumber the northern PA 29 to be PA 67.

ARMOURERERIC

How is PA's Decade of Investment going?  I really do not hear to much about it.

jemacedo9

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 21, 2017, 09:18:23 AM
How is PA's Decade of Investment going?  I really do not hear to much about it.

The Road Maintenance and Preservation Program was just announced a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.penndot.gov/about-us/Pages/Act-89-Funding-Plan.aspx

ixnay

Quote from: jemacedo9 on March 21, 2017, 07:50:05 AM
I believe the two PA 29s were once connected roughly along PA 309...back when the two routes went through Slatington along PA 873, Palmerton along PA 248, multiplexed along US 209 to Jim Thorpe, and then along PA 93 to Hazleton.  This explains the existence of PA 329.

Thank you.

QuoteI personally would renumber the northern PA 29 to be PA 67.

Per pahighways.com there were 2 PA 67's, in Crawford County (decommissioned 1928) and in Bradford and Susquehanna Counties (decommissioned 1930).

But what do you do with the two PA *9*7's (in Erie and Adams Counties)?

As for connecting, decommissioning, or downgrading the two U.S. 422's (relevant to this thread since both are wholly or substantially in PA)...

ixnay

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on March 21, 2017, 07:31:02 PM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on March 21, 2017, 07:50:05 AM

Thank you.

Per pahighways.com there were 2 PA 67's, in Crawford County (decommissioned 1928) and in Bradford and Susquehanna Counties (decommissioned 1930).

But what do you do with the two PA *9*7's (in Erie and Adams Counties)?

As for connecting, decommissioning, or downgrading the two U.S. 422's (relevant to this thread since both are wholly or substantially in PA)...

ixnay

Since the western one is 197 internally, sign it as that. I would say the same for any road with a different internal designation (283/300).

PHLBOS

If the info. contained in the below-article is correct & true; it looks like some of PA's gas tax is being (illegally) diverted to bolster State Police budgets.

How Harrisburg (probably illegally) mishandles road and bridge funds

Quote from: Philadelphia Inquirer Article ExcerptsThe legislature and governors, Republican and Democrat, Tom Ridge to Tom Wolf, annually siphon off funds allocated to fix roads and bridges, and use the money for something else -- to bolster budgets of the Pennsylvania State Police.

But the way they do it looks illegal. Here's why.

The state Motor License Fund is fed by your gas taxes and license and vehicle fees. The state Constitution (Art. VIII, Sec. 11) says it shall be used "solely for construction, reconstruction, maintenance and repair of and safety on public highways and bridges."

But big chunks of the fund are not used for roads, bridges, or their safety.

How big? In just one year (fiscal 2015-16), $222 million-plus.

The legislative analysis shows that of the total fund money PSP got for the year examined ($755 million), $222.2 million wasn't for highway safety. It was mixed in with other money to run the PSP.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

Evidently US 15 isn't fully interstate-ready from Williamsport north, as there's a single at-grade intersection with some gravel road on the northbound lanes just north of Trout Run. I suppose when/if they ever get around to completing the upgrades for I-99 on US 220, they'll also need to turn this little intersection into a proper RIRO or just block it off.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ixnay

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 15, 2017, 01:41:22 PM
Evidently US 15 isn't fully interstate-ready from Williamsport north, as there's a single at-grade intersection with some gravel road on the northbound lanes just north of Trout Run. I suppose when/if they ever get around to completing the upgrades for I-99 on US 220, they'll also need to turn this little intersection into a proper RIRO or just block it off.

File with this gem on WB U.S. 50/SB U.S. 301 approaching MD 2 (Ritchie Highway)...

http://tinyurl.com/leqz4az

ixnay

Roadsguy

Quote from: ixnay on April 15, 2017, 07:28:41 PM

File with this gem on WB U.S. 50/SB U.S. 301 approaching MD 2 (Ritchie Highway)...

ixnay

Wow, and only one tiny little one-way sign to stop people from going down the wrong direction...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

ixnay
I've driven that, in the SB direction. It's an interesting right turn at the end. Can't see why they couldn't dead end the SB direction before that point.

As for Trout Run, if Google Maps is correct then that can and should be closed off completely because there are other ways in. If Google Maps is not correct (like the sun rises in the morning) and there's no other way in, then it needs to be a simple RIRO. Meanwhile, there are some interesting solutions in that area, like an overpass at Confair Ln. to the single house in the median. With all the expense PA went through for single properties and other random small roads, they couldn't find a solution for 4 Mile Road?

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ixnay

Quote from: Alps on April 15, 2017, 11:50:42 PM

ixnay
I've driven that, in the SB direction. It's an interesting right turn at the end. Can't see why they couldn't dead end the SB direction before that point.

Like they did with this on the other side of 50/301.

http://tinyurl.com/kgzstlb

This is apparently the continuation of MD 648 (the next driveable segment begins here at http://tinyurl.com/lt7dsa3), which finally terminates for good at MD 450 at the Naval Academy bridge.

ixnay

jp the roadgeek

Why not number it PA 7 to continue the number from NY?  It's available.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadsguy

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 16, 2017, 02:55:41 PM

I always thought PA 7 would be better for the mile-long unnumbered road connecting DE 7 at the state line to PA 41 in Delaware County, but this makes more sense.

ekt8750

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 16, 2017, 03:26:26 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 16, 2017, 02:55:41 PM

I always thought PA 7 would be better for the mile-long unnumbered road connecting DE 7 at the state line to PA 41 in Delaware County, but this makes more sense.

They probably don't want to do it because it would violate the route numbering system. PA for some reason goes against what most of the country has adopted of north-south routes being odd numbered and east-west being even for its state routes. Here it's the other way around. So a north-south Route 7 would be a non-starter.

Alps

I'm sorry, you think PA actually cares about their numbering system? Ha.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on April 16, 2017, 10:14:46 PM

Your response makes much more sense to me.   :-D

ekt8750

Quote from: Alps on April 16, 2017, 10:14:46 PM

Silly me  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.