News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Nothing at all inside Lebanon city limits is maintained by PennDOT. It's all city-maintained, including numbered roads.

Also, as bad a rep as PennDOT gets for road maintenance, Lebanon is even worse.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ixnay

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 08, 2017, 11:38:05 PMNothing at all inside Lebanon city limits is maintained by PennDOT. It's all city-maintained, including numbered roads.

Sounds similar to Baltimore city in MD, where all numbered routes are maintained by the city (including IIRC I-83 but not including I-95 and I-895, which are maintained by the MdTA).

Are there any other cities or boroughs in PA where the municipality maintains the numbered roads?  How about Bloomsburg, which is PA's only town?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

briantroutman

Quote from: ixnay on May 09, 2017, 01:43:35 PM
Are there any other cities or boroughs in PA where the municipality maintains the numbered roads?

PennDOT's type 10 county maps use a red line to mark state-maintained routes...and they also a red line to mark PA traffic routes–regardless of ownership. So unfortunately, you can't tell from the map whether a numbered PA route is state owned or not.

You can, however, see on the Lebanon County type 10 map that all of state-maintained quadrant routes stop dead at the Lebanon city boundary.

Quote from: ixnay on May 09, 2017, 01:43:35 PM
How about Bloomsburg, which is PA's only town?

Again, the map doesn't show whether the numbered traffic routes are state maintained or not, but unlike Lebanon, Bloomsburg has at least two state-maintained quadrant routes, state-maintained ramps at the US 11/PA 42 interchange, and a section of I-80 within its boundaries.

Roadsguy

The 2013 traffic count maps would show important non-PennDOT roads with a dotted line, including the numbered routes in Lebanon. All the years since then don't make this distinction, though. Numbered roads are solid no matter what, and non-PennDOT roads are given no special indication at all.

Interestingly, the little bit of 422 eastbound (Walnut St.) outside city limits is also locally-owned (township I guess).
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Bitmapped

According to the Type 5 map for Lebanon city, there is a small section of state-maintained US 422 (SR 0422) on the eastern edge of the city. See http://www.dot7.state.pa.us/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/Type5/38301.pdf

Roadsguy

Quote from: Bitmapped on May 09, 2017, 05:09:34 PM
According to the Type 5 map for Lebanon city, there is a small section of state-maintained US 422 (SR 0422) on the eastern edge of the city. See http://www.dot7.state.pa.us/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/Type5/38301.pdf

The city line actually runs along 422 WB and 897 here, so the SE quadrant of the Cumberland-897 intersection isn't part of the city. Also, iTMS and the little LRS paddle signs indicate SR 0422 as stopping at 897 and not poking into the city.

sbeaver44

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 09, 2017, 05:27:21 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on May 09, 2017, 05:09:34 PM

The city line actually runs along 422 WB and 897 here, so the SE quadrant of the Cumberland-897 intersection isn't part of the city. Also, iTMS and the little LRS paddle signs indicate SR 0422 as stopping at 897 and not poking into the city.
That 422/897 intersection always looks weird to me, since 422 W is otherwise a one way street through Lebanon.

470 E Cumberland St

https://goo.gl/maps/VPWygXcrvsG2

Nexus 6P

74/171FAN

FOX43:  Mount Rose Avenue roadway project behind schedule, according to PennDOT

I had heard about this some while working with District 8, but the additional excavation mentioned in the article is just part of the problem.

WFMZ:  Work to fix falling rock problem closes Route 724 in Cumru
QuoteCUMRU TWP., Pa. - The threat of falling rocks has prompted PennDOT to close a stretch of Route 724 in Berks County for the next 10 days.

The stretch of Route 724 between Interstate 176 and Route 10 in Cumru Township was closed Monday so that crews can address an ongoing problem with rocks sliding off the adjacent hillside and onto the road.

"It's a little bit scary going through there," Joe Pichler told 69 News last week.

PennDOT will clean up rocks that have fallen onto the road and replace the fence that runs between the road and the hillside.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jemacedo9

New website for the US 30 Coatesville-Downingtown Bypass reconstruction (AND WIDENING) to occur next decade (Chester County/SE PA)...

http://www.us30-chesco.com/

PHLBOS

Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 17, 2017, 02:52:49 PM
New website for the US 30 Coatesville-Downingtown Bypass reconstruction (AND WIDENING) to occur next decade (Chester County/SE PA)...
So US 30 between PA 82 & Business US 30, east of Downingtown is being widened from 4 to 6 lanes.  Isn't such going to create a bottleneck along the newer 4-lane Exton stretch between Business US 30 & US 202?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 17, 2017, 02:52:49 PM

The eastern half will be widened to 6 lanes with 12-foot right and left shoulders.  Very good!

Are there any plans to widen the US-30 Exton Bypass?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

briantroutman

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 17, 2017, 05:06:52 PM
Isn't such going to create a bottleneck along the newer 4-lane Exton stretch between Business US 30 & US 202?

Quote from: Beltway on May 17, 2017, 05:16:49 PM
Are there any plans to widen the US-30 Exton Bypass?

I don't know if there are any widening plans farther east, but according to PennDOT's Chester County traffic volume map, US 30 AADT peaks at 75,000 at Downingtown before declining to 61,000 west of PA 100 and then dropping to just 38,000 between PA 100 and US 202.

In other words, close to half–if not more than half–of US 30 traffic turns over at the PA 100 interchange. And as demonstrated the by long lines of vehicles stopped in the right lane or on the shoulder of eastbound US 30 approaching that interchange at peak times, the interchange itself is woefully under-designed. So arguably, widening the freeway farther west in Downingtown isn't creating a new bottleneck so much as it is moving an existing bottleneck further westward–choking traffic heading into a chokepoint.

The additional lane capacity needed between the eastern end of Downingtown and PA 100 would be in the form of dedicated lanes to and from PA 100. But more pressing is a complete reconfiguration of the interchange itself–probably to include streamlined access to an expanded park-and-ride facility at the Exton train station.

Widening the eastern half of the Exton Bypass is probably unnecessary.

qguy

Until sometime in the 1970s, PennDOH/PennDOT envisioned PA 100 being upgraded to a freeway from its split with US 202 just north of West Chester to I-78/US 22. Certain features in places along this length, like interchanges and surface expressway design standards, are a legacy of that.

ixnay

Quote from: briantroutman on May 17, 2017, 06:44:05 PMI don't know if there are any widening plans farther east, but according to PennDOT's Chester County traffic volume map, US 30 AADT peaks at 75,000 at Downingtown before declining to 61,000 west of PA 100 and then dropping to just 38,000 between PA 100 and US 202.

In other words, close to half–if not more than half–of US 30 traffic turns over at the PA 100 interchange.

What's in Exton and/or West Chester that causes the dropoff on 30 east of 100?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

jemacedo9

Quote from: ixnay on May 18, 2017, 08:03:21 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on May 17, 2017, 06:44:05 PMI don’t know if there are any widening plans farther east, but according to PennDOT’s Chester County traffic volume map, US 30 AADT peaks at 75,000 at Downingtown before declining to 61,000 west of PA 100 and then dropping to just 38,000 between PA 100 and US 202.

In other words, close to half—if not more than half—of US 30 traffic turns over at the PA 100 interchange.

What's in Exton and/or West Chester that causes the dropoff on 30 east of 100?

ixnay

Commuters.  There are a lot of corporate centers and retail centers in the Exton area, along Business 30 and along 100.  With the backups at the 100 exit, I'm sure many people exit at Business 30 to get to Exton.  As far as 100 south, West Chester is the county seat, so the courthouse and county gov't are there.  Plus, many people work in the Wilmington area with those Corp HQ and commute down 202 south, or in the Newtown SQ area that take 202 South to PA 3 East.

Chris19001

Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 19, 2017, 08:00:13 AM
Commuters.  There are a lot of corporate centers and retail centers in the Exton area, along Business 30 and along 100.  With the backups at the 100 exit, I'm sure many people exit at Business 30 to get to Exton.  As far as 100 south, West Chester is the county seat, so the courthouse and county gov't are there.  Plus, many people work in the Wilmington area with those Corp HQ and commute down 202 south, or in the Newtown SQ area that take 202 South to PA 3 East.
And the regional rail station is just across the street at the interchange.  It is one of the few convenient "park and ride" stations on the SEPTA network.

briantroutman

^ Agreed on the suburb-to-suburb commuting patterns, and while I initially thought commuters parking at Exton might be a significant factor, SEPTA's website indicates that the parking lot has less than 650 spaces. That might make a dent in traffic volumes, but it's just a little over 1% of the AADT of US 30 west of PA 100.

In addition to the areas served directly by PA 100 (Eagle, Lionville, Exton, West Chester) and by US 202 south of West Chester (Concordville, Wilmington), this is a popular "jumping off point"  to avoid the nearly constant traffic pinch on I-76 east of King of Prussia and on I-476. Traffic makes the connection to PA 113, PA 100, and onto the Turnpike for destinations north and east–or heads south on PA 100 and disperses across PA 3, PA 352, US 1, and a number of other routes and back roads into western and southern Delaware County and South Philadelphia.

74/171FAN

Construction starts June 11th to put auxiliary lanes (or more or less extend the existing ones from the US 22 split) on I-78/US 22 from PA 100 to the US 22 split.(The Morning Call)

I remember the merge of US 22 WB onto I-78 WB there was a bottleneck (especially on Fridays) when I went to Allentown a lot last year for work.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mergingtraffic

There's an EB stub on I-176, what was that for?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1664994,-75.886184,749m/data=!3m1!1e3

Any update on the US-219 stub around Somerset?

Any other stubs with a future to them?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

briantroutman

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 12, 2017, 07:07:30 PM
There's an EB stub on I-176, what was that for?

The Runaway Truck Expressway–which was built in its entirety: https://goo.gl/maps/Az6hLBo5SUP2

rickmastfan67

Pete from Boston

Quote from: sparker on February 11, 2017, 02:59:58 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on February 10, 2017, 07:51:09 PM
People should appreciate the novelty that is Breezewood.  Yes, there is stop-and-go traffic at times but where else on our Interstate system is something quite like this?  I never did mind driving through Breezewood--in fact, I would purposely stop there just to eat or fuel up.  Building a new interchange bypassing Breezewood would financially put a big dent in the area.  If Breezewood is such a pain to people then they should find a way not to drive through Breezewood.  There are ways to avoid it--if it is such a hassle.  I, myself, find Breezewood to be unique and a throwback to our early days of the Interstate system--and if I need to drive through there to go to a certain destination, then I will.

WTF?  Yeah, it's unique -- but a throwback?  First time I've heard anyone nostalgic for the times when the Interstate network was still in bits & pieces.  Sort of reminds me of that old Dana Carvey SNL sketch where the elderly gentleman waxes on about unpleasant or even cruel practices of his youth, concluding with the phrase "And we LIKED it!" :-D  Oh well, to each their own, I suppose.

I also like Breezewood.  And I am nostalgic for those days as well.  You don't have to want something back to be nostalgic about it.  I appreciate the fascinating transition into the era of Interstates and the collision of old and new worlds.  What historically-interested person wouldn't find such a period of change remarkable?

Roadsguy

What's the current status of the US 6/11 reconstruction from Factoryville to Clarks Summit?

empirestate

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 13, 2017, 07:00:18 AM
Quote from: sparker on February 11, 2017, 02:59:58 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on February 10, 2017, 07:51:09 PM
People should appreciate the novelty that is Breezewood.  Yes, there is stop-and-go traffic at times but where else on our Interstate system is something quite like this?  I never did mind driving through Breezewood--in fact, I would purposely stop there just to eat or fuel up.  Building a new interchange bypassing Breezewood would financially put a big dent in the area.  If Breezewood is such a pain to people then they should find a way not to drive through Breezewood.  There are ways to avoid it--if it is such a hassle.  I, myself, find Breezewood to be unique and a throwback to our early days of the Interstate system--and if I need to drive through there to go to a certain destination, then I will.

WTF?  Yeah, it's unique -- but a throwback?  First time I've heard anyone nostalgic for the times when the Interstate network was still in bits & pieces.  Sort of reminds me of that old Dana Carvey SNL sketch where the elderly gentleman waxes on about unpleasant or even cruel practices of his youth, concluding with the phrase "And we LIKED it!" :-D  Oh well, to each their own, I suppose.

I also like Breezewood.  And I am nostalgic for those days as well.  You don't have to want something back to be nostalgic about it.  I appreciate the fascinating transition into the era of Interstates and the collision of old and new worlds.  What historically-interested person wouldn't find such a period of change remarkable?

I also appreciate it for what it is, and one thing I've noticed about this forum as compared to m.t.r. is that I'm even more in the minority with that opinion here than I was there!

mariethefoxy

is there any plans to connect the lancaster and downington area sections of the US 30 freeway?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.