News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 25, 2017, 09:24:36 PM
When exactly did PennDOT and the PTC stop using button copy, and were they at the same time or separate dates?

Also, PennDOT seems to have decisively switched back to FHWA series from Clearview, but has the PTC shown any sign (no pun intended) of doing so?

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 24, 2017, 11:34:19 PM
PENN DOT
*PennDOT

All around the 95/Tpk connection project.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 25, 2017, 08:44:58 AM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 24, 2017, 11:34:19 PM
What's the link for the PennDOT project list where you can see upcoming plans?  I saw the "public" page where the average joe can look.

You can look on bidx where they may have posted some plans, usually in supplemental addenda postings, but the full plans aren't usually found online anywhere. Even contractors have to actually purchase them.

Nope.  Not true for PennDOT.

http://www.dot14.state.pa.us/ECMS/

If a project has been advertised, you can view and download the construction plans through ECMS even with the guest login.  After you log in, the bread crumb trail is Solicitation (top menu) --> Contractors --> Bid Packages.  "Advanced Search" does what it says, or alternatively you can just go directly to "New Postings."  In addition to the plans, the documentation associated with a bid package that is available for viewing or download includes special provisions, attachments, reports, etc.

PennDOT also posts "Unofficial Plans and Specifications" and you can click through to see what is available, but the guest login does not have viewing or downloading rights.  These are basically advance plans for projects intended to be advertised in the near future.  When a given project is advertised, the finished plans become part of a bid package and thus can be accessed through the guest login, so basically all guests lose is the sneak preview.

What Jeffandnicole is saying is basically true for NJDOT and the NJTA.  Both agencies are backward and rely on BidX as their advertising and plan distribution vehicle.  As a result, you get addenda and supplemental documentation (including as-builts and plans for concurrent work on the same facility, which with NJDOT are typically not complete, but have been for the Pulaski Skyway and Wittpenn Bridge) for free, but have to pay $135/month for the combination of subscriptions that allows you to download as-advertised plans.

Returning to Pennsylvania, the PTC also has its own contractor portal, but plans and specifications are not on guest access and require business partner registration.  This is a complex process that includes both online signup and mailing of a hardcopy form (with attestation) that lays out the particulars of your firm.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

J N Winkler

In regard to PennDOT and Clearview, the last few signing plans I have extracted date back to September 2016, and show that PennDOT was starting to go back to the FHWA alphabet series.

There was a large package in connection with the I-95/Turnpike project that went to bid around June 2015 and had the PennDOT ECMS number 95444.  It had 106 pattern-accurate sign panel detail and sign elevation sheets, all of which used Clearview for primary destination legend only.  If these signs are now being erected with Series E Modified for primary destination legend, then a change order (or functional equivalent) must have been issued sometime after award.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

BigRedDog

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 23, 2017, 11:08:04 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on July 10, 2017, 05:02:20 PM
I noticed a mystery ramp from I-79 north of Mt. Morris. It appears to have been a temporary connection to Davistown Rd, with all movements except a southbound exit from 79. It even featured an at-grade left turn onto 79 south. From Historic Aerials, it appears to have been upgraded from some local driveway between 2004 and 2006. It sat there for years, blocked off at both ends from traffic, until the part directly connecting to 79 was removed in 2010 or 2011. The bulk of it still remains. What was this for?

Coming back to this, apparently the abandoned northern counterparts to these ramps are still in PennDOT's records as SR 9400, which can be seen on their Type 10 map for Greene County. However, while these ramps are still mostly present and striped, any of those tiny LRS markers are long gone judging by the Street View.

The link given in the reply is not Davidstown Rd, as mentioned in the first post. I say this because there are ghost ramp(s) at Davidstown Rd. (see here), as well as at Rolling Meadows Rd. (see link in reply), which is farther north, closer to Waynesburg.

mrsman

Quote from: empirestate on July 13, 2017, 12:28:14 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on July 13, 2017, 11:55:09 AM
Quote from: empirestate on July 13, 2017, 09:59:47 AM*Case in point: I had a discussion with someone about a roundabout in my area. She despised roundabouts altogether, and when she explained why, I immediately saw the problem. She was frustrated because, when the circle is empty, and there's a line of traffic approaching the circle just to her left as she's entering from another approach, that line of traffic would just stream into the circle without stopping, leaving her no opening to get in. She was unhappy because they weren't "taking their yield" and making space for her and other downstream traffic to enter. She seemed to think that a "yield" is a slowing or stopping movement, and didn't seem to realize that it only applies when there's traffic to yield to–which, when the circle is empty, of course there isn't.

So, no wonder she's always frustrated at that circle: she has an expectation of the other drivers that isn't met by their behavior; and in this case, the rules are on their side. (And she's probably doubly frustrated by all the vehicles behind her honking and gesticulating, whenever she approaches an empty circle and decides to stop anyhow!)

The other side of this story is that it is a well-known empirical finding that roundabouts are highly likely to fail when traffic on one approach is well out of balance with traffic on the others.  However, when the state in question has a policy that roundabouts will be installed unless an alternative--such as a traffic signal--can meet stringent criteria, then roundabouts will be built that are especially likely not to operate satisfactorily under high-demand conditions.  I'm presuming the roundabout in question is in New York, which does have such a roundabouts-first policy.

That's precisely what I explained to her. In this case, I've never observed the lopsided traffic flow she describes, so it must be a very limited occurrence, possibly restricted to certain short periods of the day. Overall, the roundabout seems to work perfectly well.

iPhone

With regard to roundabouts, I had always thought that metering lights, similar to what you sometimes see at busy freeway entrances, would be really helpful at making sure that there is always a steady stream of traffic entering the roundabout at heavy traffic periods.  Unfortunately, there are very few applications of this that I have seen.

Here's an example in MD that uses red lights and flashing yellow, but I think red-green lights like at most metered onramp would be superior.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2122182,-76.795529,3a,75y,44.99h,94.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQeHysOzBFfKzkjiBcB5d_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on November 26, 2017, 02:48:45 PM
With regard to roundabouts, I had always thought that metering lights, similar to what you sometimes see at busy freeway entrances, would be really helpful at making sure that there is always a steady stream of traffic entering the roundabout at heavy traffic periods.  Unfortunately, there are very few applications of this that I have seen.

Here's an example in MD that uses red lights and flashing yellow, but I think red-green lights like at most metered onramp would be superior.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2122182,-76.795529,3a,75y,44.99h,94.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQeHysOzBFfKzkjiBcB5d_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

NJ has used regular traffic lights as meters for traffic approaching their busier traffic circles in the past. This allows a group of traffic to enter the circle at one time, or it can be left on steady green for hours at a time during lighter traffic periods.

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 26, 2017, 03:25:29 PM
Quote from: mrsman on November 26, 2017, 02:48:45 PM

NJ has used regular traffic lights as meters for traffic approaching their busier traffic circles in the past. This allows a group of traffic to enter the circle at one time, or it can be left on steady green for hours at a time during lighter traffic periods.

Or they do what they did with the Somerville Circle, and make changes that only leave lights on 3 of the 5 arms of the circle itself so traffic is no better controlled than without the lights.

briantroutman

I noticed this old (but at the time, new) button copy guide sign on a 1965 PennDOT PSA about littering. My best guess is that this footage was taken here, on modern-day PA 581, one mile west of the I-83 interchange.

If my guess about the location is correct, "York"  would be both more correct and more informative here than "Junction" .

cpzilliacus

Quote from: briantroutman on December 02, 2017, 02:00:05 PM
I noticed this old (but at the time, new) button copy guide sign on a 1965 PennDOT PSA about littering. My best guess is that this footage was taken here, on modern-day PA 581, one mile west of the I-83 interchange.

If my guess about the location is correct, "York"  would be both more correct and more informative here than "Junction" .

JUNCTION signs like this were quite common on Interstates in the 1960's, and not just in Pennsylvania either.

Maryland and other states used them too.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 02, 2017, 11:07:00 PM

JUNCTION signs like this were quite common on Interstates in the 1960's, and not just in Pennsylvania either.

Massachusetts typically had signs that read:
JUNCTION
    XXX
  1 MILE

Such was phased out in the Bay State by the 1980s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

I like how the PDH put "Junction" in a control city size font.  Note the buttons too.  I imagine the first buttons (in any state) were used in the '50s.

I wonder when that sign was replaced.

ixnay

jpi

I wanna say this was replaced in the early 80's and yes this is on present day PA 581, back then it was a "connecter" expressway from 83 to 11/15 I vaugly remember this sign when I was a little kid and yes this was common practice for interstate junctions in Pennsylvania, the Turnpike interchange 4 miles south of this pic was another example, it did not get an exit # until the big change over to mile marker based exit #'s in the early 2000's
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Rothman

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 03, 2017, 05:04:13 PM

JUNCTION
    XXX
  1 MILE

Ayup.  I remember them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadsguy

Does this sign actually date back to when current US 22 in Harrisburg was US 22 Bypass? It doesn't look old, so it might have been replaced in kind by a lazy contractor or something.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

qguy

Don't know about the sign, but just ahead on the left is a truly great diner. Originally called the By-Pass Diner, it's now the American Dream Diner. Original details, typical diner culture. They have a unique sandwich called The Rope, basically a length of sausage coiled in a long roll with onions, etc.

Actually, there are quite a few classic diners in the Harrisburg area: http://www.pennlive.com/food/index.ssf/2017/02/diners_harrisburg.html

Alps

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 07, 2017, 10:14:50 PM
Does this sign actually date back to when current US 22 in Harrisburg was US 22 Bypass? It doesn't look old, so it might have been replaced in kind by a lazy contractor or something.
It doesn't look that new either. City job.

sbeaver44

What is going on with construction on PA 283 in Dauphin County?  Looks like they're putting random left shoulders and crossovers in, and also redoing some of the loop ramps to be wider radii?

Nexus 6P

jpi

I think it is part of a rebuild of 283 from I-283 to near Tollhouse Rd exit, they have been doing "prep" work ever since the fall, this may co-inside with some work getting done at the 283/ I-283 cloverleaf to make that interchange safer, what they need is a 2 lane fly-over from south I-283 to east PA 283 but doubt that will ever happen. (roll eyes)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Roadsguy

Is the Lafayette Street extension open to Conshohocken Road near Norristown? It looks like it was finished (albeit barricaded off) in August, but I can't find any news articles of it opening. Are they waiting for Phase 3 to finish before opening the new segment?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Beltway

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 28, 2017, 09:16:27 PM
Is the Lafayette Street extension open to Conshohocken Road near Norristown? It looks like it was finished (albeit barricaded off) in August, but I can't find any news articles of it opening. Are they waiting for Phase 3 to finish before opening the new segment?

What is the latest schedule for building the extension and interchange with the Turnpike?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Flyer78

I thought it was mentioned somewhere in this thread, but PA has replaced the "State of Independence" tourism brand with "Pursue your happiness" -- Welcomes signs are being updated to match the branding. They were installed on I-81 sometime after Thanksgiving, per the linked article below goal is to have 37 installed by spring. It's a little more eye catching than the previous edition; I always liked the old banner sign -- will check soon to see if this one on US202 N is still standing.

Via WNEP-TV, here is an image of the new sign:

Related article: http://wnep.com/2017/11/03/new-welcome-to-pa-signs-in-the-poconos/

Now if we could see a new license plate design (beyond the state outline where the outmoded registration stickers went)...

MASTERNC

Quote from: Flyer78 on January 03, 2018, 03:41:32 PM
I thought it was mentioned somewhere in this thread, but PA has replaced the "State of Independence" tourism brand with "Pursue your happiness" -- Welcomes signs are being updated to match the branding. They were installed on I-81 sometime after Thanksgiving, per the linked article below goal is to have 37 installed by spring. It's a little more eye catching than the previous edition; I always liked the old banner sign -- will check soon to see if this one on US202 N is still standing.

The one on 202 is still standing.  The signs on US 1 (and supposedly I-95) have been replaced.

Related article: http://wnep.com/2017/11/03/new-welcome-to-pa-signs-in-the-poconos/

Now if we could see a new license plate design (beyond the state outline where the outmoded registration stickers went)...

Alps

Southbound I-95 is the brand new sign.

ekt8750

Quote from: Flyer78 on January 03, 2018, 03:41:32 PM

I saw that coming back from Delaware the other day. Whoever came up with that crap needs to be fired imo.

roadman

Quote from: Rothman on December 03, 2017, 09:52:40 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on December 03, 2017, 05:04:13 PM

If my guess about the location is correct, “York” would be both more correct and more informative here than “Junction”.

JUNCTION
    XXX
  1 MILE

Ayup.  I remember them.
To clarify, most of the 'junction' BGS signs on MA freeways were replaced with standard advance signs in the early to mid-1990s during sign replacement projects.  IIRC, the last holdout was the 'JUNCTION 93 2 miles" sign on I-95/128 NB in Woburn, which was actually installed as part of the 1990 Lexington to Reading sign project, and was just replaced with a conventional advance sign as part of the 2012 Lexington to Reading sign project.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.