News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanis

I wish 63 was rerouted to extend it.
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

Nanis

Quote from: Nanis on March 11, 2018, 09:53:23 PM
I wish 63 was rerouted to extend it.
Although now that I think about it, that might not be a good idea. Also on the list of shit ideas: bringing back the original alignment of PA 167 as a different state route
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: In Erie, One City Block Is a Trek of Disrespect - A decaying bridge has ignited a debate over how a struggling city treats some of its poorer residents.

QuoteWhen the viaduct opened in the late 1930s, the city was growing. The bridge, renovated in the 1970s, was an emblem of local pride and progress. It funneled traffic through what were at the time thriving neighborhoods.

QuoteThen the factories started disappearing. The viaduct's largely German, Polish and Irish district became home to increasing numbers of blacks, Latinos and refugees from Africa and the Middle East, whose arrivals have slowed the city's population decline.

QuoteOn one level, the story of the bridge is a microcosm of America's crumbling infrastructure. Questions about where to spend the city's limited resources touch on familiar themes about the failures of urban renewal and today's widening income gap.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 12, 2018, 02:43:45 PM
N.Y. Times: In Erie, One City Block Is a Trek of Disrespect - A decaying bridge has ignited a debate over how a struggling city treats some of its poorer residents.

QuoteWhen the viaduct opened in the late 1930s, the city was growing. The bridge, renovated in the 1970s, was an emblem of local pride and progress. It funneled traffic through what were at the time thriving neighborhoods.

QuoteThen the factories started disappearing. The viaduct's largely German, Polish and Irish district became home to increasing numbers of blacks, Latinos and refugees from Africa and the Middle East, whose arrivals have slowed the city's population decline.

QuoteOn one level, the story of the bridge is a microcosm of America's crumbling infrastructure. Questions about where to spend the city's limited resources touch on familiar themes about the failures of urban renewal and today's widening income gap.
Umm.. the Bayfront Connector was specifically designed to replace this viaduct. You have the same neighborhood access. even for bikes/peds, a block away. The solution here is to demolish the old bridge. It doesn't merit a story. Pure agenda.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on March 12, 2018, 06:07:59 PM
Umm.. the Bayfront Connector was specifically designed to replace this viaduct. You have the same neighborhood access. even for bikes/peds, a block away. The solution here is to demolish the old bridge. It doesn't merit a story. Pure agenda.

Are there any plans to widen the Bayfront Parkway to 4 lanes divided throughout?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

seicer

I'm not sure there is that much demand for four lanes divided. And with recent developments along the waterfront abutting the roadway, it's not likely that any widening can realistically occur.

And I do agree with Steve. This article is fluff. A replacement was built literally to the immediate west and it was just a matter of time before this bridge would cease to exist - like countless others across the nation. These types of hit pieces is why I have grown distrustful of media. It's not news reporting but opinion pieces.

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ixnay

These button copies were at the Blvd. of the Allies feeder into the Parkway East in July 2017.  Are they still there?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4365378,-79.9738156,3a,30y,83.4h,94.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDpadbUqr9iSsok3VP4N6_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

ixnay

Roadsguy

Spotted this old signage near the Lehigh Valley Airport, featuring button copy as well as an ancient, peeling PA 987 shield that likely originally sat next to an I-78 shield rather than the current, much newer "To US 22" assembly.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Nanis

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 19, 2018, 12:00:41 PM
Spotted this old signage near the Lehigh Valley Airport, featuring button copy as well as an ancient, peeling PA 987 shield that likely originally sat next to an I-78 shield rather than the current, much newer "To US 22" assembly.
reminds me of the old PA 132 Street road sign I always see near Roosevelt Boulevard and the turnpike.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1280828,-74.9693603,3a,75y,61.27h,112.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so3q5czo66H6SAstFmqMOlA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It still says racetrack.

BrianP

The state no longer owns Centralia's 'Graffiti Highway.' Who does?
QuoteThe pavement and graffiti are still there, but a section of what was state Route 61 in the Centralia area no longer belongs to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

The agency this week vacated what is known as the "Graffiti Highway," most of which is in Conyngham Twp., allowing ownership to revert to adjacent property owners.

When PennDOT vacates a right-of-way, ownership of a property goes to owners of adjoining properties. In this case, that is mostly the Pitreal Corp., a subsidiary of Pagnotti Enterprises of Wilkes-Barre, Wenner said.

MNHighwayMan

Hope that doesn't mean access to the old roadway will be closed off.

BrianP

Accessing the old road was considered tresspassing:
QuotePennDOT, concerned about safety because of large cracks in the surface caused by the fire, posted no trespass signs. When they were ignored, state police last year began issuing citations and warnings.
Now it is up to the owners of the land to decide. 
QuoteWith the change in ownership, state police will no longer issue citations and warnings for trespassing, unless that's sought by the new owners, PennDOT said.
With the danger of cracks and possible collapses it would be legally foolish to allow access to the old highway.  There would probably not need to be enforcement of the no trespassing since the owner would probably not be liable if someone was injured while trespassing on the land.

seicer

Eh, it's been an overblown tourist trap for years. The entire roadway isn't dangerous and is practically covered in graffiti, hence the nickname. The cracks in the roadway are decades old at this point and are no longer smoking. The underground fire has moved considerably far away and I'm not sure how much of it is burning anymore. The smoke that used to be so evident over the area is barely even noticeable anymore.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: seicer on March 26, 2018, 10:27:13 PM
Eh, it's been an overblown tourist trap for years. The entire roadway isn't dangerous and is practically covered in graffiti, hence the nickname. The cracks in the roadway are decades old at this point and are no longer smoking. The underground fire has moved considerably far away and I'm not sure how much of it is burning anymore. The smoke that used to be so evident over the area is barely even noticeable anymore.

Cheapest tourist trap ever. Where's the gift shop??

seicer

Look down in the crack hard enough and you'll find out :D

Alps

Quote from: seicer on March 26, 2018, 10:27:13 PM
There are wisps of smoke, but yeah, it's moved on. In 20 years Ashland may need to relocate back up to Centralia.

jeffandnicole

Last time I was in Centralia - 5 years ago or so - I was amazed at how much of a forest it had became.  Unlike my first trip many years prior, there were no noticeable scents and smells.  It was like driving thru an eerie landscape of a city-like street grid system with barely any houses, cars or anything else.  The streets were narrowed a bit by the new brush.  Some were completely undriveable. The few homeowners that remained had nice lush lawns.  The fire has clearly moved on, and left in its wake an abandoned land that nature quickly reclaimed.

Anytime someone sees a story about Centralia today is being told that via an author that is taking pictures and descriptions of Centralia from 20 or 25 years ago, and who hasn't set foot out of their bedroom, much less actually visit the place on their own. 

KEVIN_224

Nanis

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Nanis on April 14, 2018, 11:34:39 PM
oh no

Oh yes. Mother Nature has decided you're no longer deserving of US-30. Now go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

Gnutella

What a lot of people don't realize is that many of the "hills" in the Pittsburgh area aren't actually hills. They're escarpments, which are much steeper and more unstable geologically. Landslides are a major problem in the Pittsburgh area because of them.

ixnay

Quote from: Gnutella on April 15, 2018, 04:44:09 AM
What a lot of people don't realize is that many of the "hills" in the Pittsburgh area aren't actually hills. They're escarpments, which are much steeper and more unstable geologically. Landslides are a major problem in the Pittsburgh area because of them.

IOW the PGH area has the North and South Escarpments, not Hills. :) As for landslides, I remember hearing about them in the wake of winter snow and rain storms this past winter, via KDKA, which I can get in my car during the winter in the region where I live, due in part to my evening commuting schedule most nights.

How frequent are Pittsburgh area landslides?  And are they a common occurrence in, say, West Virginia or anyplace else east of the Great Plains?

ixnay

ixnay

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 14, 2018, 11:49:14 PM
Quote from: Nanis on April 14, 2018, 11:34:39 PM
oh no

Oh yes. Mother Nature has decided you're no longer deserving of US-30. Now go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

What's the over/under on days/weeks/months before http://www.pahighways.com/us/US30.html is updated to mention this near tragedy?  That page was last updated on 11.27.2015.

ixnay

Bitmapped

Quote from: ixnay on April 15, 2018, 08:07:05 AM
Quote from: Gnutella on April 15, 2018, 04:44:09 AM

IOW the PGH area has the North and South Escarpments, not Hills. :) As for landslides, I remember hearing about them in the wake of winter snow and rain storms this past winter, via KDKA, which I can get in my car during the winter in the region where I live, due in part to my evening commuting schedule most nights.

How frequent are Pittsburgh area landslides?  And are they a common occurrence in, say, West Virginia or anyplace else east of the Great Plains?

ixnay

The US 30 case is much larger than normal, but slips are very common in terrain like what is found in WV or most of PA. If you get soil on a steep enough grade wet enough, it's going to want to slide.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.