Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Maryland

<< < (432/435) > >>

cpzilliacus:
Official BWI Airport press release:

Sheetz to Develop First Anne Arundel County Store Location at BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport

--- Quote ---Sheetz, a major Mid-Atlantic restaurant and convenience chain, will build a
new store location at the intersection of Aviation Boulevard and Amtrak Way, on
the northwest side of the airport. The new location will sit at the approximately
4-acre site near the BWI Rail Station and the airport’s consolidated rental car
facility. Sheetz was voted Best Regional Fast Food Chain by USA Today in 2020.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---“We are excited to welcome Sheetz to the airport and the local community,”
said Ricky Smith, Executive Director of BWI Marshall Airport. “The new store
location will offer excellent service for our passengers, rental car customers,
employees, and local residents. The popular, high quality Sheetz brand will reinforce
our commitment to offer a convenient, modern airport with outstanding amenities.”
--- End quote ---

TheOneKEA:
They chose that location very deliberately. Not only will it be very well patronized by people returning their rental cars to the facility off of New Ridge Road, but it will also grab a significant share of the commuter traffic to the Northrop Grumman facility, anyone headed to the Amtrak station, and all of the BWI Trail users.

I will be very interested to see if this Sheetz location will encourage or discourage use of their parking for anyone seeking entry to the BWI Trail. The only free parking in the area is the eastbound shoulder of Elkridge Landing Road near the intersection with Terminal Road and it regularly fills up with trail users. The parking at the Thomas Dixon Observation Area is regularly full, and the only other area where trail users could park to access the trail is Andover Park. If Sheetz doesn’t drive away trail users they could realize a LOT of business from individuals using the trail for exercise, families, and people who commute along the trail.

On a road-related topic, I wonder if Amtrak Way (unsigned MD 995) will be significantly altered as a result of developing the ingress/egress from Sheetz. The stub of Stoney Run Road that once led to the PRR level crossing will probably have its intersection replaced with a RIRO to allow southbound MD 170 traffic to get into and out of the Sheetz parking lot. When could we expect to see a project entry on the Maryland Roads Portal?

cpzilliacus:

--- Quote from: TheOneKEA on September 25, 2021, 04:56:53 PM ---They chose that location very deliberately. Not only will it be very well patronized by people returning their rental cars to the facility off of New Ridge Road, but it will also grab a significant share of the commuter traffic to the Northrop Grumman facility, anyone headed to the Amtrak station, and all of the BWI Trail users.
--- End quote ---

From the perspective of a location for a gas station, it is perfect - and
there is resident population  and plenty of off-airport and on-airport
employment close by who may come by for MTO or similar.  MARC and
Amtrak patrons may stop by to get food or drink, much like departing
airline passengers.

There is a RoFo south of there on MD-170, but I suspect that the
demand for Sheetz (at least initially) might be similar to a new
Sonic - as in overwhelming (is that "induced" demand?).

--- Quote ---I will be very interested to see if this Sheetz location will
encourage or discourage use of their parking for anyone seeking
entry to the BWI Trail. The only free parking in the area is the
eastbound shoulder of Elkridge Landing Road near the intersection
with Terminal Road and it regularly fills up with trail users. The
parking at the Thomas Dixon Observation Area is regularly full,
and the only other area where trail users could park to access
the trail is Andover Park. If Sheetz doesn’t drive away trail users
they could realize a LOT of business from individuals using the
trail for exercise, families, and people who commute along the
trail.
--- End quote ---

I do not know.  I do know that the BWI trail was originally built
for airport-area employees so maybe they did not give much
consideration to parking.

--- Quote ---On a road-related topic, I wonder if Amtrak Way (unsigned
MD 995) will be significantly altered as a result of developing the
ingress/egress from Sheetz. The stub of Stoney Run Road that
once led to the PRR level crossing will probably have its intersection
replaced with a RIRO to allow southbound MD 170 traffic to get into
and out of the Sheetz parking lot. When could we expect to see a
project entry on the Maryland Roads Portal?
--- End quote ---

I suppose it could be an MAA project.  Or maybe SHA will do the
work and solicit construction bids for the project and get reimbursed?

That was one of the relatively few grade crossings in Anne Arundel
County of (what is now) the Northeast Corridor.  Maybe the only
one I can remember.

Stephane Dumas:
The construction of the MD-210 interchange at Kerby Hill road is almost complete from what I saw on this recent Google streetview taken last August May.
https://goo.gl/maps/WNmVUNjMQZNhx7B78

cb98:

--- Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 31, 2021, 08:56:34 AM ---Finally, on a nitpicking note: the blue "TOLL" banner on this shield assembly past exit 89 was replaced with a proper yellow one  :D

--- End quote ---
It was sometime around late July/August when that was changed. I drove through that area on July 11 and snagged a pic of it :)

--- Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 02, 2021, 09:24:08 PM ---The construction of the MD-210 interchange at Kerby Hill road is almost complete from what I saw on this recent Google streetview taken last August May.
https://goo.gl/maps/WNmVUNjMQZNhx7B78

--- End quote ---
Drove by here last week, I remember seeing signs for Kerby Hill Rd but didn't see if it was open in full. I was too frustrated with the bad drivers lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version