News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois-Iowa Memorial Bridge (I-74)

Started by edwaleni, June 13, 2019, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Does anyone have any recent photos of the new Memorial Bridge going up between Moline and Davenport?

Last I looked the piers were all in and they were erecting the large spans over the river channel.

I like that they are not using the generic "cubist" concrete based support pylons, but a take off on a corn sprout that looks like a "Y".

Perfect for two agricultural states like Iowa and Illinois and home to the largest makers of farm implements.

edwaleni

edwaleni

There have been some flood related delays.

pianocello

There's a YouTube channel that periodically posts drone footage, mostly based in the Quad Cities. Here's an video from yesterday:

Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Revive 755

That video gives a nice view of the current at grade with signals routing for WB I-74 on the Iowa side.

It's at grade on the Iowa bound Illinois side. Exit is at Avenue of Cities. The route is the now unsigned section of US 150 and 6 routing.

edwaleni

Quote from: pianocello on June 16, 2019, 12:00:08 PM
There's a YouTube channel that periodically posts drone footage, mostly based in the Quad Cities. Here's an video from yesterday:

Most excellent! Thanks for locating this.

They appear to have 2 active live webcams as well but I just get black screens.

edwaleni

Revive 755

If anyone is wondering about the accuracy for  Google maps and I-74 near the bridge on the Illinois side, I can confirm that WB is currently routed onto the new bridge until north of River Drive, where it has a well signed 10 mph U-turn (with a couple cherons outlined with flashing LEDs, plus a few grooved rumble strips in the new deck).  It then goes down the future EB exit to River Drive to a traffic signal, make a brief jog on River Drive to another signal, and then go up the current ramp to get on the old WB bridge.

The first signal at River Drive backs up traffic for maybe a good half mile, if not more in the off peak.

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 23, 2020, 10:55:14 PM
If anyone is wondering about the accuracy for  Google maps and I-74 near the bridge on the Illinois side, I can confirm that WB is currently routed onto the new bridge until north of River Drive, where it has a well signed 10 mph U-turn (with a couple cherons outlined with flashing LEDs, plus a few grooved rumble strips in the new deck).  It then goes down the future EB exit to River Drive to a traffic signal, make a brief jog on River Drive to another signal, and then go up the current ramp to get on the old WB bridge.

The first signal at River Drive backs up traffic for maybe a good half mile, if not more in the off peak.

Live webcam shows the east arch is still being constructed.  The superstructure for the west arch isnt up yet.

SSOWorld

Just drove it - It takes you in a complete 180 onto a SB ramp that takes it you to another ramp that leads the old bridge.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

edwaleni

Both arches complete as shown on the webcam.

We have driven it a couple of times. Illinois side is pretty much done. I never see a capacity problem ...there is a rather sharp turn you have to watch out for when you hit the Illinois side.

SSOWorld

Quote from: 3467 on September 11, 2021, 08:31:28 PM
We have driven it a couple of times. Illinois side is pretty much done. I never see a capacity problem ...there is a rather sharp turn you have to watch out for when you hit the Illinois side.
said sharp turn will be gone when the southbound span is done.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Yes it will. The problem now is its so much better than the old one people are driving like it's done. There are drainage issues too that will go away.

Lyon Wonder

Google has updated their street view that now crosses the river on the new I-74 bridge.

https://goo.gl/maps/cmcsiwXenCDxXhEu6

pianocello

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on September 13, 2021, 02:03:37 AM
Google has updated their street view that now crosses the river on the new I-74 bridge.

https://goo.gl/maps/cmcsiwXenCDxXhEu6

Whoa, how'd you manage that? I can't get to the new street view from the map, just through your link. Hopefully that will be updated soon.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Lyon Wonder

The new I-74 bridge fully opened to traffic last December and the walkway for pedestrians and bicyclists along the Illinois-bound span opened in the spring.

There's been issues with vehicles getting onto the new bridge's pedestrian walkway even though motorized vehicles are prohibited from using it.

Concrete barriers were recently installed at both ends since a drunk driver drove an SUV onto the walkway and ran over 3 pedestrians that resulted in 2 fatalities.

https://qctimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/another-vehicle-drives-across-bridge-pedestrian-path/article_5428eeee-4d8e-5ce2-bb96-fcbaacee8861.html

Crash_It

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on July 03, 2022, 09:53:59 PM
The new I-74 bridge fully opened to traffic last December and the walkway for pedestrians and bicyclists along the Illinois-bound span opened in the spring.

There's been issues with vehicles getting onto the new bridge's pedestrian walkway even though motorized vehicles are prohibited from using it.

Concrete barriers were recently installed at both ends since a drunk driver drove an SUV onto the walkway and ran over 3 pedestrians that resulted in 2 fatalities.

https://qctimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/another-vehicle-drives-across-bridge-pedestrian-path/article_5428eeee-4d8e-5ce2-bb96-fcbaacee8861.html

My gosh today's drivers are stupid

edwaleni

Quote from: Crash_It on July 04, 2022, 11:53:50 AM
Quote from: Lyon Wonder on July 03, 2022, 09:53:59 PM

My gosh today's drivers are stupid

The link to the story is about a motorcyclist using the pedway as a way to avoid the police. The barricade will inhibit an auto but not a motorcycle.

As for the drunk woman in the SUV, alcohol can't make up for stupid in this case. Uber/Lyft offer courtesy rides home if you have drank excessively. That is, if there is an Uber in the Quad Cities.

The Ghostbuster

Any chance they could do the same thing to the Interstate 80 Fred Schwengel Memorial Bridge, or the Interstate 280 Sergeant John F. Baker Jr. Bridge?

pianocello

Quote from: edwaleni on July 04, 2022, 12:30:17 PM
The link to the story is about a motorcyclist using the pedway as a way to avoid the police. The barricade will inhibit an auto but not a motorcycle.

As for the drunk woman in the SUV, alcohol can't make up for stupid in this case. Uber/Lyft offer courtesy rides home if you have drank excessively. That is, if there is an Uber in the Quad Cities.

There is Uber/Lyft in the Quad Cities, I know people who have at least considered becoming a driver. Of course, being a smaller market, I can't speak to how reliable or fast they are though.

As for the incidents, it astounds me that the DOTs didn't even consider adding bollards to prevent vehicles from entering the pathway. One of the crashes was absolutely preventable, and those two people would still be around today if they had bollards or something similar.

Crash_It

Quote from: pianocello on July 04, 2022, 08:41:26 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on July 04, 2022, 12:30:17 PM

There is Uber/Lyft in the Quad Cities, I know people who have at least considered becoming a driver. Of course, being a smaller market, I can't speak to how reliable or fast they are though.

As for the incidents, it astounds me that the DOTs didn't even consider adding bollards to prevent vehicles from entering the pathway. One of the crashes was absolutely preventable, and those two people would still be around today if they had bollards or something similar.

It's not the DOTs fault that people are STUPID, lack common sense and can't read.

pianocello

Quote from: Crash_It on July 04, 2022, 11:02:55 PM
It's not the DOTs fault that people are STUPID, lack common sense and can't read.

You're not wrong. But drunk, confused, or stupid drivers are hardly uncommon, and with the number of hands that touched the plans during design and construction, I would expect someone to have anticipated this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.