News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Strait of Messina (Sicily to Italy) bridge to begin construction… next year?!

Started by hurricanehink, July 25, 2023, 07:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurricanehink

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/travel/article/italy-messina-bridge-sicily-intl/index.html
https://www.ansa.it/english/news/2023/07/25/first-real-cash-for-messina-bridge-in-budget-says-salvini_ecce63fe-0e48-4b2e-a789-22124c507ff8.html

Italy's 2024 budget will include some funds towards the long discussed Strait of Messina bridge, connecting Sicily and mainland Italy. The oft-proposed bridge could have its groundbreaking in July 2024 if all goes well. Since this is a transport forum and not a political one, I'll just note that this could be huge for Sicily to be connected to the European mainland by rail or car without needing a ferry. Will it happen? Bump this thread in a year and we'll find out. 

Chris

Announcements like these have been made various times over the past few decades, and nothing came of it.

While I do believe there is a bona fide justification for a bridge like this, the engineering is incredibly complex. Not to mention the influence of organized crime in Southern Italy.

mgk920

Also, the Strait of Messina is an active seismic zone, greatly complicating the engineering involved.

Mike

Plutonic Panda

I really hope this happens. This will be awesome to watch be constructed and one day drive on.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: mgk920 on July 26, 2023, 11:10:41 AM
Also, the Strait of Messina is an active seismic zone, greatly complicating the engineering involved.

Mike

Didn't the Dardanelles Strait bridge in Turkey is also located in a active seismic zone as well?

Chris

Yes, and not to mention various large bridges in California, the Pacific Northwest, or Japan. So that part is manageable.

However the Strait of Messina is over 3 kilometers wide and very deep. So that rules out both a tunnel and bridges with spans that have been built so far. The Norwegians have the same challenge with some fjord crossings (albeit not seismically active).

Another issue is the high wind speeds in the Strait of Messina. It's a funnel, flanked by mountain ranges.

The problem with a tunnel is that the grade cannot be steep for the railroad, so it would require incredibly long approach tunnels to get to -150 meters.

Here's a bathymetric map:

kalvado

Quote from: Chris on July 29, 2023, 03:28:41 PM
Yes, and not to mention various large bridges in California, the Pacific Northwest, or Japan. So that part is manageable.

However the Strait of Messina is over 3 kilometers wide and very deep. So that rules out both a tunnel and bridges with spans that have been built so far. The Norwegians have the same challenge with some fjord crossings (albeit not seismically active).

Another issue is the high wind speeds in the Strait of Messina. It's a funnel, flanked by mountain ranges.

The problem with a tunnel is that the grade cannot be steep for the railroad, so it would require incredibly long approach tunnels to get to -150 meters.

Here's a bathymetric map:

Sounds like the case for floating tunnel which is often discussed technology

mgk920

A couple of decades ago I was seeing chatter about a potential conventional suspension bridge with a main span that ran between the towers, both of which were to be set on the shores.

Mike

Plutonic Panda

Chris

I found the video a bit disappointing to be honest. They could've explained the physical conditions and design challenges in more detail (depth, currents, winds, earthquakes, etc)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.