News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 30 Expressway, Canton to Ohio River

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, December 17, 2019, 01:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

triplemultiplex

Seems to be of dubious merit to me.
Far easier to finish the once-planned US 62 corridor to connect Canton with the Turnpike.  It's more direct and the towns it goes by are way bigger.
It's not as direct of a connection toward Pittsburgh, but given the lack of anything of significance in between (and the lack of any ambition on the part of PA to do anything with US 30 over there) it's a minor "detour" to revive US 62 instead of this 'cow path' proposal.
And there's already a little chunk done in Salem. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Buck87

I do like the idea of completing the rest of US 30 someday (especially since I have a family member that is moving to East Liverpool soon)

Though I can see the argument of those who think this would be a waste of money, and that other projects around the state are more deserving

Compared to other Midwestern States like Illinois Iowa and Missouri it looks like Ohio accomplished most of its post Interstate plans were accomplished. Most of the limited access corridors are 4 lane freeways and expressways. I don't know what they had planned for major arterial but a lot of those are 4 lane.

Bitmapped

There's not really a lot of through traffic east of Canton. Pittsburgh-bound traffic tends to either go up to the Turnpike or down to US 250/US 22. Even if you upgrade US 30 over to SR 11, the PA part of US 30 is still a slog.

Extending the US 30 freeway to SR 44 east of East Canton is probably the most logical project to do with the corridor. Two-lane bypasses of Lisbon and Minerva would also help to remove the major slow spots.

Some rerouting might also be in order. SR 154 to SR 11 is generally preferred heading east of Lisbon, and SR 172 between East Canton and Lisbon is actually a shorter and faster route than the existing US 30 corridor.

coldshoulder

It's been over a year since the last post in this thread, but I came across a notice from ODOT about a proposed extension of the US-30 expressway from its current end-point at Trump Ave., to about 5 miles further east to now end at OH-44 (with a short northerly extension).  Public input meeting via phone or internet is tonight, 2/25/21, at 5:30 pm.

Here is the project page with the proposed routing:

https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odot/projects/projects/20344

You're just like crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

Great Lakes Roads

Looking at the sign plans on the new section east of Trump Avenue, the exit numbers aren't correct (especially since the practice of doing the mileage within the county is no longer allowed). PDF of the sign plans on pages 49-64.

https://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D04/Planning/planning/Environmental/20344%20Interchange%20Modification%20Study.pdf

hotdogPi

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 25, 2021, 04:07:58 PM
Looking at the sign plans on the new section east of Trump Avenue, the exit numbers aren't correct (especially since the practice of doing the mileage within the county is no longer allowed). PDF of the sign plans on pages 49-64.

https://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D04/Planning/planning/Environmental/20344%20Interchange%20Modification%20Study.pdf

Fitting that northeast (and southeast, and south central) Ohio went toward him in 2020 compared to 2016, while most places in the US trended away. The precinct in particular that contains this road went from 38-58 to 56-42 (a 34 point difference, and a flip), which is the precinct with the greatest percentage change in either direction in the Canton metro area, in just 4 years. Of course, the street name predates all this.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

edwaleni

Quote from: coldshoulder on February 25, 2021, 03:22:34 PM
It's been over a year since the last post in this thread, but I came across a notice from ODOT about a proposed extension of the US-30 expressway from its current end-point at Trump Ave., to about 5 miles further east to now end at OH-44 (with a short northerly extension).  Public input meeting via phone or internet is tonight, 2/25/21, at 5:30 pm.

Looking at the proposal, it makes total sense. All of that traffic being diverted through East Canton has got to be a traffic and accident problem.

By pushing the reduction of the route east of East Canton, will definitely make it safer.

edwaleni

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 19, 2019, 10:19:03 PM
There's not really a lot of through traffic east of Canton. Pittsburgh-bound traffic tends to either go up to the Turnpike or down to US 250/US 22. Even if you upgrade US 30 over to SR 11, the PA part of US 30 is still a slog.

Extending the US 30 freeway to SR 44 east of East Canton is probably the most logical project to do with the corridor. Two-lane bypasses of Lisbon and Minerva would also help to remove the major slow spots.

Some rerouting might also be in order. SR 154 to SR 11 is generally preferred heading east of Lisbon, and SR 172 between East Canton and Lisbon is actually a shorter and faster route than the existing US 30 corridor.

Perhaps a bypass north of Minerva and one south of Lisbon that connects to SR-11. Then call it a day.

Bitmapped

I'm not a fan of building a new stub end at SR 44, especially since it's not clear that the road would ever be extended past there. Do a T-intersection, with the existing US 30 to the freeway being the through movement. If the freeway is ever extended, then you can upgrade things with an interchange.

coldshoulder

Quote from: Bitmapped on February 26, 2021, 12:53:45 PM

I'm not a fan of building a new stub end at SR 44, especially since it's not clear that the road would ever be extended past there. Do a T-intersection, with the existing US 30 to the freeway being the through movement. If the freeway is ever extended, then you can upgrade things with an interchange.

You're probably right, as it will likely be a long time coming (if ever), before the US-30 expressway gets extended even further eastward beyond this current proposed construction.

It occurs to me that this new northerly extension of OH-44 to intersect with the new stub end of US-30 could be part of a longer-term plan to have OH-44 bypass East Canton on its east side, even as a 2-lane at-grade roadway.  There appears to be a fair bit of vacant land that could accommodate such a bypass, starting at the new US-30/OH-44 interchange, continuing north and then curving back in a westerly direction to connect with existing OH-44 north of East Canton.

Otherwise, like you say the more practical alternative would be to have the new stub end at the existing US-30 roadway, without spending additional money on the OH-44 extension and half-interchange.  The fact that ODOT is doing the latter appears to indicate they've got some other idea(s) for the future.
You're just like crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

The Ghostbuster

US 30 between Canton (Trump Ave. SE) and the OH 11 freeway should have been built as a expressway/freeway long ago. It has terminated at Trump Ave. since the mid 80's, with no progress since then. The short freeway extension to OH 44 is a start (and hopefully not a finish). Given that the Canton-OH 11 corridor has been studied numerous times over the last 30+ years, was it funding that prevented construction, or has there been widespread public opposition to completing the US 30 Expressway along this corridor?

Bitmapped

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 27, 2021, 08:03:53 PM
US 30 between Canton (Trump Ave. SE) and the OH 11 freeway should have been built as a expressway/freeway long ago. It has terminated at Trump Ave. since the mid 80's, with no progress since then. The short freeway extension to OH 44 is a start (and hopefully not a finish). Given that the Canton-OH 11 corridor has been studied numerous times over the last 30+ years, was it funding that prevented construction, or has there been widespread public opposition to completing the US 30 Expressway along this corridor?

The extension to Trump Avenue opened in the mid-1990s.

US 30 hasn't been upgraded east of East Canton because there's not much traffic. East of Minerva, counts are around 3000 VPD. Through traffic largely uses I-76 to the north or US 22 to the south. Not that many people are interested in going between Canton and East Liverpool, and US 30 is very slow with no likelihood of upgrades once you cross into Pennsylvania for traffic continuing towards Pittsburgh.

edwaleni

Quote from: Bitmapped on March 02, 2021, 03:06:16 PM

US 30 hasn't been upgraded east of East Canton because there's not much traffic. East of Minerva, counts are around 3000 VPD. Through traffic largely uses I-76 to the north or US 22 to the south. Not that many people are interested in going between Canton and East Liverpool, and US 30 is very slow with no likelihood of upgrades once you cross into Pennsylvania for traffic continuing towards Pittsburgh.

This is why I was surprised US-30 is this way. I assumed there would be a larger degree of Canton-Pittsburgh traffic.

Unless one thinks that it is a "build it and it come" approach, meaning the VPD is low becuase its such an old & slow routing.

Bitmapped

Quote from: edwaleni on March 02, 2021, 03:31:10 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on March 02, 2021, 03:06:16 PM

This is why I was surprised US-30 is this way. I assumed there would be a larger degree of Canton-Pittsburgh traffic.

Unless one thinks that it is a "build it and it come" approach, meaning the VPD is low becuase its such an old & slow routing.

Through traffic between East Canton and Lisbon right now pretty much splits between US 30 and SR 172. US 30 has somewhat better road geometrics, but SR 172 doesn't go through any towns of any significance to slow you down. A new US 30 would theoretically pull some traffic from both.

Even if you upgrade US 30 over to SR 11, you still have the part in Pennsylvania to deal with. It's up, down and around with a lot of 35mph and other reduced speed zones. You basically average 40mph for about 30 miles. You can shave off a couple minutes if you leave US 30 and take Moon-Clinton Road over to I-376, but it's still a slog and Pennsylvania isn't going to do any upgrades.

If Ohio is going to upgrade a route over to SR 11, I would suggest focusing on US 62. Completing the Alliance and Salem bypasses and building a new interchange at SR 11 and SR 14 would IMHO have more utility than an upgraded US 30.

vtk

And I thought the stub at Trump Ave was going to persist for decades more...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.