Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

Southwest Illinois Connector

(1/6) > >>

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: Revive 755 on January 12, 2020, 11:48:19 AM ---The report has been released for the 'Southwest Illinois Connector'.  https://www.siconnector.com/  The report has a map for previous studies, including one prior to the Supplemental Freeway corridor which would have used IL 13 and IL 15.

Kind of disappointing there's no mention in the report of getting a better bypasses for Waterloo or Columbia.

--- End quote ---

Reviewing this updated map for the first time I would have a few questions:

Why route through Pickneyville? Population, politics, the huge prison next door?
IL-127 for the N/S route instead of US-51 which is strategic (supposedly) for Illinois?
What happened the the IL-4 route to reach IL-13 and Murphysboro?

3467:
I could only conclude this is a local consensus for the route and the Environmental Assessment and prior work has been done from Pickneyville south. They are smart for that . They could actually get some construction done on that segment they may get that even if the other 49 miles never happen.

ilpt4u:
It does appear they want to get thru traffic away from the downtown Pickneyville square, which is helpful

That said, even if this route were to fully develop from Columbia to Murphysboro, I would probably still use IL 127 to I-64 to get to Downtown STL or to Lambert Field
--- Quote from: edwaleni on January 13, 2020, 04:18:54 PM ---Reviewing this updated map for the first time I would have a few questions:

Why route through Pickneyville? Population, politics, the huge prison next door?
IL-127 for the N/S route instead of US-51 which is strategic (supposedly) for Illinois?
What happened the the IL-4 route to reach IL-13 and Murphysboro?

--- End quote ---

US 51 south of Salem is too close to I-57 to develop as a separate corridor. IL 127 is far enough away from I-57 that it is attractive for those west of I-57 to use that to go North to I-64 and the St Louis area instead of heading out of the way to I-57

The best/quickest (current) route up to Waterloo and Columbia involves using a bunch of County Rds to bypass Red Bud, Sparta, Steeleville, etc. That said, probably not that great on Safety, when using the County backroads to bypass towns...

Konza:
Is there a reason this proposed highway does not connect to an Interstate highway at either end?

kphoger:

--- Quote from: ilpt4u on January 14, 2020, 07:55:11 AM ---It does appear they want to get thru traffic away from the downtown Pickneyville square, which is helpful

--- End quote ---

While I understand Pinkneyville residents' opposition to a bypass, it astounds me that they have apparently considered the constant traffic headache at the square to be acceptable.  If I lived there, I'd absolutely hate having to drive through the square on a regular basis, especially with all the truck traffic that navigates it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version