Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

US 58 -- Past, Present, and Future

(1/10) > >>

sparker:
Since a substantial portion of the arguments regarding the bi-state I-87 corridor concern the fact that US 58 does in fact provide a shorter route from Newport News points to both I-95 and I-85, ostensibly the destination or at least the next leg of commercial (and other) traffic movements in the south/west direction from that port area,  I deemed it appropriate to actually initiate a thread concerning US 58 itself.  Went back through Mid-Atlantic threads; the only one specifically citing that route concerned some sinkholes about 3 years ago.  Now -- whether the dueling VA posters elect to use this thread to outline the pros and cons of this corridor's status or potential remains to be seen (the argument might well remain in the I-87 thread in Southeast, where the majority of that corridor resides) -- but it does provide a place for Mr. Kozel and others to elucidate what they can glean about the position of VDOT and its political handlers regarding this corridor -- and possibly whether any significant official attention has been paid to possible upgrades. 

And if anyone wants to talk about historical aspects of the corridor as well, please, have at it!  But a number of us are a bit weary of the endless and often pointless back-and-forth about these regional issues (I once likened it to Monty Python's classic "Argument Clinic" sketch), so this additional topic is intended to be a place for an informed discourse about the US 58 corridor as a stand-alone concept.   I can only hope that this thread will proceed with a bit more decorum and discussion of actual facts and policies instead of a locale for more two-way sniping.

Posters -- the ball's in your court; try to keep it civil! 

sprjus4:
There had been a thread in the Fictional Highways section that discussed various US-58 concepts, including a conceptual alignment I had done of a US-58 freeway between Suffolk and I-85, though never finished the area near Emporia. Some other posters including froggie and Beltway also presented concepts for relocations / upgrades near Suffolk and Emporia.

If you’re interested to read through it - https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20535.0

By all means, I’m glad to have a dedicated thread to the US-58 corridor that often mixes in with the I-87 thread, and hopefully clean up any future / potential mess in that thread.

hbelkins:
US 58, to me, is a fun drive across southern Virginia. Unfortunately, there is always going to be a "dead spot" that's never improved, and that's the portion between Independence and Damascus. Even though the road is four lanes from Hillsville through Galax to Independence, the preferred through route is obviously I-77 to I-81. I also don't think anything will ever be done to improve the route from Bristol to Jonesville. Alternate US 58 is already four lanes most of the way from Abingdon to Jonesville, and the portion of US 58 between Duffield (where US 58 and 421 split from 23) and Jonesville is an improved two-lane with passing lanes on the biggest hills.

I've driven the whole route from Cumberland Gap to Virginia Beach, but never all at once. My most recent journey across it involved going from Hillsville to South Boston, so I could access US 360 to begin my clinch of it.

When the missing portions (roughly east of Hillsville to Meadows of Dan, and then the segment from the end of the Meadows of Dan bypass to Stuart) are done, it will be an even better route.

I've driven the portion from Damascus to the VA 16 intersection near Volney just once, and don't care to repeat the drive. I've done Gate City to Bristol a couple of times, but if I'm going to Bristol I will either take Alt. 58 from Norton to Abingdon and then south, or will stay on 23 (or use VA 224/TN 93) and dip into Tennessee and then take 11W north).

If I ever have need to go to the Hampton Roads area again, I'd much rather take US 58 or US 460 than I-64. Too much north (from home to hit 64)/south (WV Turnpike)/north again (I-81 concurrency) out-of-the-wayness involved.

sprjus4:
US 58 ‘Suicide Strip’ is replaced with a new divided highway | 1991

--- Quote ---

After a brief roadside ceremony, a new four-lane divided highway with a grassy median opens on U.S. 58 replacing the dangerous “Suicide Strip,” a 22-mile undivided highway from Courtland to Emporia. The undivided highway averaged one accident every six days between 1970 and 1990 with 107 deaths and more than 1,000 injuries. The $42.9 million road widening project follows years of pressure from local residents. The stretch of roadway is a vital east-west trade route that carries an estimated 7,355 vehicles a day, many of them heavy trucks. Before the median was built, trucks and cars routinely collided head on.
--- End quote ---

plain:

--- Quote from: sprjus4 on April 07, 2020, 02:01:44 AM ---US 58 ‘Suicide Strip’ is replaced with a new divided highway | 1991

--- Quote ---

After a brief roadside ceremony, a new four-lane divided highway with a grassy median opens on U.S. 58 replacing the dangerous “Suicide Strip,” a 22-mile undivided highway from Courtland to Emporia. The undivided highway averaged one accident every six days between 1970 and 1990 with 107 deaths and more than 1,000 injuries. The $42.9 million road widening project follows years of pressure from local residents. The stretch of roadway is a vital east-west trade route that carries an estimated 7,355 vehicles a day, many of them heavy trucks. Before the median was built, trucks and cars routinely collided head on.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I have many memories of this stretch from when I was a kid. It was indeed very dangerous, my pops had a few close calls driving us through here. A lot of people used to pass others over the solid yellow lines (the no passing zones) and it made our travels pretty scary.

It's actually pretty funny to me how the stretch between Emporia and South Hill was 4 lanes before the stretch between Emporia and Courtland was.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version