National Boards > Road Enthusiasts Meetings

Plattsburgh and Clinton County, NY Roadmeet - Spring 2022

<< < (3/9) > >>

Hot Rod Hootenanny:
FYI, May 8th I believe is part of Mother's Day weekend.

dgolub:
Interested!

That said, I'll also raise the topics of the Outer Banks and the coronavirus.  Personally, I don't plan on travelling anywhere that would require me to stay in a hotel until we're past the pandemic, so later is better as far as I'm concerned.

jpi:
I will keep this in mind, I could finish of New York in terms of counties and can get a free stop over in PA on the way there and back but depends on my toy show schedule which should pick back up by then too.

csw:
Interested in any and all dates.

cu2010:
Now that we're in 2021, I'm starting to look ahead towards this meet more. Sadly, my employment situation changed between when I originally announced this meet and now, and as such, I'm not entirely sure what the future holds for me right now, but I will be more than likely moving to the state of Vermont. However, since Vermont is just a ferry ride's away, this meet is still on... depending on pandemic conditions, of course.

Regarding the pandemic, it is looking more and more like this, along with many 2021 meets, might have to be an outdoor picnic/bring your own lunch affair like most of the 2020 meets were. While outdoor dining would be an option at restaurants, Plattsburgh doesn't have a lot of space for it... to say nothing short of the fact that the economic conditions caused by the pandemic (along with NY's generally unfavorable business policies) has wreaked havoc on the restaurant industry in the North Country. So I will have to scout out a location with enough picnic tables for a gathering.

I'm still working on a route. There's enough to look at in Clinton County to put together a tour, but some of it is quite spread out... and if we were to include everything, the tour could run 6-7 hours easily. Since I want to include the Rouses Point bridge and some of the roads around (and straddling) the Canadian border, some of the stuff in the southern part of the county might get left out. The plan right now is to start with a short walking tour of downtown Plattsburgh and three historic bridges (and a historic train station), driving a bit to the southwest to see a couple old bridges en route to Dannemora before turning north towards the border. After seeing a few more historic bridges just off of US11, a trip to the northern terminus of US9, and a clinch of NY276 straddling the border, we'd go across the bridge to Vermont, stop and get pictures and a possible pitstop, then cross back into New York and begin heading south back towards Plattsburgh, heading out towards the Chazy area for a couple more old bridges before ending the formal tour at the Cumberland Head ferry terminal.

As for a date, I am currently leaning towards May 15th. Yes, it is commencement weekend at SUNY Plattsburgh, but with the current pandemic conditions, it is unlikely that it will be that much of a problem for us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version