Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Why not get rid of Lake Shore Drive's At-Grade Intersections

(1/18) > >>

kernals12:
As part of the ambitious plans for North Lake Shore Drive, the city is planning to remove the signalized intersection at East Chicago Avenue. So why not remove all of them? The resulting reduction in transit dependence could allow for the removal of some el train lines which blight enormous parts of the city  :bigass:

Is it a money issue?

silverback1065:
Probably.

Pixel 5

Max Rockatansky:
Funny, I used to use that intersection to get to my Dadís apartment back in the 1990s.  It was particularly infamous for long back ups which would clog the turn lane.  Really most of the intersections south of there werenít all that bad and didnít really seem back when I revisited a couple years ago. 

kernals12:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 25, 2021, 09:19:58 AM ---Funny, I used to use that intersection to get to my Dadís apartment back in the 1990s.  It was particularly infamous for long back ups which would clog the turn lane.  Really most of the intersections south of there werenít all that bad and didnít really seem back when I revisited a couple years ago.

--- End quote ---

But what about during rush hour?

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on March 25, 2021, 09:27:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 25, 2021, 09:19:58 AM ---Funny, I used to use that intersection to get to my Dadís apartment back in the 1990s.  It was particularly infamous for long back ups which would clog the turn lane.  Really most of the intersections south of there werenít all that bad and didnít really seem back when I revisited a couple years ago.

--- End quote ---

But what about during rush hour?

--- End quote ---

I never found Lake Shore any worse than the Kennedy or Dan Ryan through downtown.  South of Navy Pier Lake Shore is pretty well access controlled as is.  Getting rid of at-grade intersections anywhere along Grant Park would require some extensive pedestrian considerations be made.  I used to use the signal at Jackson to cross from the running path on Lake Michigan a lot, it did have a long pedestrian cycle. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version