Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Random Thoughts

<< < (181/198) > >>

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: kkt on October 08, 2021, 08:40:56 PM ---It's good to know if you drive out to the middle of nowhere.

But I will note that althought I do know how to change a tire, it's only come up once in 41 years of driving.

--- End quote ---

It's come up a few times for me in the 16 years I've been driving, but that's mostly because I've done a good chunk of my driving late at night when tire shops aren't open. Once I get it home, may as well put the donut on before taking it to the tire place.

dlsterner:

--- Quote from: noelbotevera on October 04, 2021, 05:18:08 PM ---I find it weird that I've been driving a car for over a year, but I've never been taught how to change a tire.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: kkt on October 08, 2021, 08:40:56 PM ---It's good to know if you drive out to the middle of nowhere.

But I will note that althought I do know how to change a tire, it's only come up once in 41 years of driving.

--- End quote ---

Been driving for 48 years, think I've had to change a tire three times in that time span.  That said, I'm glad that I learned how to, as I preferred it to the alternative - waiting at the side of the road for help.

The first time, my car was old enough to still have a full size spare.  The other two times the car had a micro-spare that was just to get you to a repair shop.

IMHO this is something that should be taught in Driver's Ed class.  It was not part of my course in the mid-70s - my Dad taught me how to change a tire.  If I recall, my Mom said that her Driver's Ed class in the 1950's did include physically changing a tire.  Along with other skills lost to the times - like hand signals for turns.  Or driving without the aid of power steering, which was an option in those days.

formulanone:
There's a brand of electrical food service products called Zojirushi. It means "elephant" in Japanese, and the logo of an elephant appears on some of their products. I've seen it in various places over the past few decades.

But today I stopped for coffee at a hot pot station, and discovered there's another company out there which apparently sells some similar products, but named Shurizjo. That is a very close anagram of the beforementioned brand, and their logo...is a mouse. 

kurumi:

--- Quote from: formulanone on October 14, 2021, 06:35:19 PM ---There's a brand of electrical food service products called Zojirushi. It means "elephant" in Japanese, and the logo of an elephant appears on some of their products. I've seen it in various places over the past few decades.

But today I stopped for coffee at a hot pot station, and discovered there's another company out there which apparently sells some similar products, but named Shurizjo. That is a very close anagram of the beforementioned brand, and their logo...is a mouse. 

--- End quote ---

That is weird. Shurizjo is a product of Newco in Missouri. It definitely seems intended to resemble the Japanese company.

Another fun fact: Zoujirushi's full name is 象印マホービン株式会社, which means Zoujirushi Vacuum Flask (e.g. Thermos Bottle), Inc. The characters for マホービン (Vacuum Flask) are 魔法瓶, which means "magic bottle" (or even "witchcraft bottle"). Imagine bringing a Thermos into a church and it starts glowing red hot :-)

SSOWorld:

--- Quote from: Scott5114 on September 27, 2021, 10:04:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: SkyPesos on September 27, 2021, 09:37:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: renegade on September 27, 2021, 05:21:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: snowc on September 27, 2021, 04:31:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: 1 on September 27, 2021, 03:43:59 PM ---How did snowc become a moderator?

--- End quote ---
not a mod, just trying to keep it cool.

--- End quote ---
I once got thoroughly bitched-out by the mods for using purple font.  You might want to rethink what's cool.

--- End quote ---
How about every color except purple?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Alex on May 21, 2009, 10:34:10 PM ---By posting in our forum, you automatically agree to the following:

What's not allowed:
Excessive use of formatting. Use formatting sparingly. When formatting is used, it should be done for a reason, not simply to make your posts stand out. (As an example, posting a list of Interstates you traveled on with the ones you clinched marked in green is acceptable, but coloring your entire post teal just because you like the way it looks is not.)

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
valid here, random thought ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version