Regional Boards > International Highways

Asian Highway Network

<< < (3/3)

andrepoiy:
Thailand does sign Asian highways for some reason, but yeah, this kind of is like the Trans-Canada Highway. Some countries taking the network more seriously than others, just like how some provinces take the TCH more seriously than others.

Bickendan:
AH 1 is well signed between Kolkata and Bardhaman (the segment I've been on); makes me think India takes the AH at least somewhat serious.
However, they renumbered their entire National Highway system back in 2010... and all signage in West Bengal still reflected the old numbering in 2020.

SkyPesos:

--- Quote from: Bickendan on April 27, 2021, 03:15:51 AM ---AH 1 is well signed between Kolkata and Bardhaman (the segment I've been on); makes me think India takes the AH at least somewhat serious.
However, they renumbered their entire National Highway system back in 2010... and all signage in West Bengal still reflected the old numbering in 2020.

--- End quote ---
From looking at the map, it looks like India takes the AH routes seriously with their AH routes subnetwork (2 digit routes) in the country, and the major cities connected. Especially when compared to China's AH routes.

jaehak:
Definitely seen AH1 signed in Vietnam. Saw it here and there in Korea too, even on overhead signs.

english si:

--- Quote from: SkyPesos on April 26, 2021, 12:00:09 PM ---Either that whoever created the system thought that China is 'good enough' for Taiwan, or that Taiwan sees no value in the Asian Highways. I'm leaning towards the latter for this one. Though (big if) Taiwan gets an AH route, I think it will be an isolated route like A26 in the Philippines, and the Freeway 1 route in Taiwan may get used for it, as it's a major route between Taiwan's major cities
--- End quote ---
Taiwan doesn't exist as it's a UN project and the UN recognises the other China, but actively ignores the Republic of China.

--- Quote from: Chris on April 25, 2021, 10:06:04 AM ---China has a huge network of expressways and only a few routes, while there is a big density of routes in Iran and surrounding areas.  Japan is served by only one route, Borneo Island has none.
--- End quote ---
China only last year formalised most of its routes (those sections still dashed in the geographic map below). Its not that fussed about such things for domestic usage but has its network linking most of its bordering countries (and most of them more than once) and some of the big ports on the east coast.

Compare China to Spain and their sparse E road network, and West/Central Asia to Scandinavia or Hungary and its love of E Roads.

Japan doesn't have much call for international routes. Tokyo to the main port in the west of the country is quite sufficient for primary Asian Highways. The 1950 E road Network (which is similar to Asian Highways - the post-85 network is rather different) had 3 London - Ports (Dover, Southampton and Harwich) routes as Major Route, and an Intermediate Route spine north branching to serve Holyhead and Liverpool (ports for Ireland) and Glasgow and Edinburgh. Japan could have a 2-digit route north out of Tokyo, another along the north coast, and some 3 digit routes across the spine, but it doesn't really need them.

Borneo has the AH150, created by ASEAN rather than UNESCAP (along with many other routes as a supplemental system), as a loop around it. (defined here, using different numbers).

Better maps than the OP's seen here:
https://www.unescap.org/sites/default/d8files/knowledge-products/AH-map_0.pdf
https://www.unescap.org/sites/default/d8files/2021-01/Map_AH_24Dec_Digital_Full.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version