News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What was/is your college major? And what college did you attend?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 04, 2021, 07:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

University of Wisconsin-Superior, 2009-2013 with a BS in journalism.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

amroad17

I majored in Management Information Systems at Old Dominion University, however, I only completed the equivalent of 3 years of college as I went part-time after my freshman year.  I ended up working in the restaurant industry as a manager for 30 years (along with working in the trucking industry as a driver for 8 years).
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

GaryV

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 29, 2021, 02:31:33 PM
... with a BS in journalism.

Journalism is a science?  I'd have thought that would be a BA degree.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: GaryV on August 30, 2021, 08:55:55 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 29, 2021, 02:31:33 PM
... with a BS in journalism.

Journalism is a science?  I'd have thought that would be a BA degree.

There are a lot of disciplines where one can get a BA or BS degree. Believe it or not, there is such a thing as a BA in mathematics.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

WillWeaverRVA

I have a BS in biology from VCU. Wish I'd majored in chemistry instead, but the math would have kicked my ass.

Math kicking my ass is also why I haven't gone back to school for meteorology, even though I'm a hardcore weather enthusiast.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

7/8

I got my BASc in Civil Engineering at the University of Waterloo, class of 2018. It was a 5-year program with eight 4-month school terms and six 4-month co-op work terms.

MikieTimT

B.S.C.S.E. (Computer Systems Engineering) at the University of Arkansas.

Took a while to get through what with working while taking 15-16 hours, other than during the last semester's capstone course and taking Cal II twice due to being taught by a grad student the first time with as thick of a Chinese accent as you could possibly imagine.  Amazes me how little calculus I've had to use since graduating.  Like, none.

1995hoo

I have a BA in history, with a minor in religious studies, from the University of Virginia and a JD from Duke University.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

7/8

bandit957

I wasn't able to finish college, but I majored in radio/TV at Northern Kentucky University. I wanted to get into radio, but this of course was right when the 1996 Telecommunications Act murdered the radio industry.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: bandit957 on August 30, 2021, 09:50:00 PM
I wasn't able to finish college, but I majored in radio/TV at Northern Kentucky University. I wanted to get into radio, but this of course was right when the 1996 Telecommunications Act murdered the radio industry.

Would have thought you attended Bubblebama Pooniversity.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Big John

US 89

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 30, 2021, 09:10:04 AM
Math kicking my ass is also why I haven't gone back to school for meteorology, even though I'm a hardcore weather enthusiast.

As a current meteorology student at Georgia Tech, I can confirm the math is brutal. And it's not like some fields where you just have to take the math classes as a prerequisite for something else and then never use any of it again. In meteorology you actually use multivariable calc.

gonealookin

Quote from: Big John on August 30, 2021, 11:42:27 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on August 30, 2021, 07:02:55 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on August 30, 2021, 06:45:00 PM
Amazes me how little calculus I've had to use since graduating.  Like, none.
Same here :)
No differential equations?

Heh.  I'm UC Berkeley, BA in Economics, Class of 1984.  I had a high school teacher telling me how important calculus was.  When I got to the third quarter of freshman calculus at Berkeley I looked around the lecture room and realized there was nobody but engineering students in there.  The calculus did help me in an advanced Econ/Statistics class later on, but I was on the liberal arts side of the Econ major so there was really no point in my taking that class and I instantly forgot everything I learned in it.  Yeah, for most people calculus beyond what you suffer through in high school is pretty pointless.  I do think the principles you learn in high school algebra (constructing a problem when there's an unknown and finding a solution) and geometry are useful in the real world.

NWI_Irish96

As someone who went through both a bachelor's and a master's program in math, I can tell you that anything in the continuous mathematics series beyond freshman calculus is really only useful if you're going into engineering or to get a PhD in math or physics.

Discrete math courses like Probability, Statistics, Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Set Theory are more useful, and to most people also more interesting.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

This reminds me of my first semester at KU.  I had taken the AP Calc test in high school and gotten a 5, but I still thought I needed more math for my major (which was originally Engineering Physics).  So I signed up for Honors Calc II.  Turns out I didn't even need the credit, but enjoyed it a lot and got an A, so it was basically the worst/best GPA booster of all time.

Chris

02 Park Ave

Bachelor's degree from Manhattan College --- Electrical Engineering
Master's degree from Penn State --- Engineering Science

P.E. in PA
C-o-H

jdb1234

BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration) in Finance with a minor in Accounting from the University of Montevallo (graduated December, 2020)

I was an engineering major once upon a time, but never finished.

Rothman

A.A. General Studies

B.A. International Studies, Far East and Russian Concentration

M.P.P.A Master's in Public Policy and Administration

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

catch22

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.