Regional Boards > Central States

Proposed US 412 Upgrade

<< < (53/77) > >>

Bobby5280:
Vance AFB isn't very big. Still, bypassing South of the AFB would put the alignment 5 miles South of current US-412. If tunnels weren't so freakish expensive to build it could be possible to build a freeway bypass along the North edge of Vance AFB near the main gates and tunnel under the runways nearby to come back above ground past Oakwood Road. Comparitively speaking it would probably be cheaper to buy ROW needed along or near Southgate Road in order to squeeze between the AFB and South side of Enid.

Some sort of Southern bypass of Enid would probably be preferable to going North around the town. The bulk of Enid is situated on North of US-412, which would make a bypass around the North side of Enid longer than a Southern bypass.

skluth:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2021, 09:26:40 PM ---Could the airport and the Air Force base be relocated to accommodate an Enid bypass? I think the future Interstate corridor should terminate at Interstate 35 and not go any further west.

--- End quote ---

The government will close a base using BRAC before moving it unless someone with a lot of political power can stop it. This is especially true of small bases that can have their mission easily moved to another base. Training bases tend to be closed in every BRAC rotation. Getting a freeway in exchange for losing a base is not a deal most cities would accept.

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 22, 2021, 10:57:43 AM ---Vance AFB isn't very big. Still, bypassing South of the AFB would put the alignment 5 miles South of current US-412. If tunnels weren't so freakish expensive to build it could be possible to build a freeway bypass along the North edge of Vance AFB near the main gates and tunnel under the runways nearby to come back above ground past Oakwood Road. Comparitively speaking it would probably be cheaper to buy ROW needed along or near Southgate Road in order to squeeze between the AFB and South side of Enid.

Some sort of Southern bypass of Enid would probably be preferable to going North around the town. The bulk of Enid is situated on North of US-412, which would make a bypass around the North side of Enid longer than a Southern bypass.

--- End quote ---

Honestly most of the traffic on US-412 is east of Enid.  There has been some traffic growth west of Enid due to the amount of fracking in the Cimarron River basin. But when he current US-412 was built in the 1970's (now Owen Garriott Drive) it wasn't to support a large urban bypass because the amount of traffic didn't warrant it. Enid was trying to get truck traffic out of downtown because the only way in was on Market Street with the curve up to Maine Street at NOU which was built in 1936.The "Shark Bridge" was a clearance problem. The city limits of Enid in the 70's didn't go past what was then Market Street until you got to S. 7th St, so the new road simply avoided downtown.

Enid has exploded on the west and northwest side of town (probably due to oil workers) but I dont think it justifies a bypass in and of itself.

MikieTimT:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 21, 2021, 10:46:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: MikieTimT ---And if Springdale/Lowell is where it ended, I'd agree, but was intended to go all the way to Nashville, which adds quite a bit of mileage.
--- End quote ---

I've seen "I-66" proposals that crossed Kentucky, Missouri and even parts of Kansas and New Mexico. I've seen propsals for upgrading US-412 across Arkansas in various manners, but usually no more than standard 4-lane divided rather than full Interstate quality. Such a corridor going clear to Nashville? I must have missed that HPC proposal.

--- Quote from: CoreySamson ---What if this potential I-50 extends towards Denver via Dodge City and Garden City like your Oklahoma City-Denver interstate idea you've floated around? I'd like to think that would be worthy of an x0.
--- End quote ---

The route would look a little weird overall, a bit of a V-shape, with it having to take a fairly sharp bend going up into Kansas. If such a route were to go up to Dodge City the bend in Oklahoma would have to happen near Enid rather than Woodward. That would ruin quite a bit of the appeal of such a route for drivers coming from/thru the OKC area heading to Colorado. A direct route from Woodward to Garden City works better in that regard.

I think chances are between very slim to absolutely none the US-412 corridor would ever be upgraded fully to Interstate quality between Springdale and Walnut Ridge. But if such a thing were to happen, and I-555 was extended up to Walnut Ridge, that could be added to that fictional diagonal corridor up to Limon. That ultimate combo, an I-70 to I-40 route, would be more worthy of an I-50 designation.

Still, I think a designation as big as I-50 needs to cross at least 3 time zones or be as close to a coast-to-coast route as possible. Not too long ago I described one fictional I-50 idea that would go from Jacksonville, FL to Provo, UT. But that idea would consume I-22 and I-555. I would use US-60 across Southern Missouri (since chances are far better for US-60 to get an Interstate upgrade than US-412 in Northern Arkansas). From Joplin the route would go to Wichita and overlap US-50 a good distance thru Pueblo to Grand Junction, co-sign with I-70 to the US-6 split then go up to Provo to end at I-15. Can't see any realistic scenario for pushing the fictional route across Nevada into California.

--- End quote ---

That's odd.  Almost every reference of ISTEA High Priority Corridor 8 I found online has it going into Tennessee, Nashville specifically. (Much to the chagrin of our resident US-412 Tennessee representative)

https://www.peaktraffic.org/corridors.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_priority_corridor
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/COMPS-1422/pdf/COMPS-1422.pdf (Pg. 68-71 of 158,
SEC.  1105.  HIGH  PRIORITY  CORRIDORS  ON  NATIONAL  HIGHWAY  SYSTEM,
  (c)  IDENTIFICATION OF HIGH PRIORITY CORRIDORS ON NATIONAL HIGHWAY SYSTEM.—The following are high priority corridors on the National Highway System:
      (8)  Highway  412  East-West  Corridor  from  Tulsa,  Oklahoma, through Arkansas along United States Route 62/63/65 to Nashville, Tennessee.)

And I-30 is only in 2 states, both within a single timezone, and is almost as much N-S as it is E-W.  It's one with a rather large amount of traffic, though.  Diagonals sure do mess with standards.

MikieTimT:
Now that I-49 is complete in NWA, the western leg of the US-412 bypass (Future I-50?) can start to get focus to pull the traffic off US-412/AR-112 for traffic coming and going to northbound I-49.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version