Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Virginia

<< < (1182/1193) > >>

sprjus4:
^ It’s going to cut off access from Downtown Hampton and severely overwhelm the LaSalle interchange.

plain:
Agreed. LaSalle (and Armstead Ave in the area) is already fucked during the rush. I can almost understand closing the Mallory St entrance but the Settlers Landing one too??

LM117:

--- Quote from: LM117 on September 09, 2019, 08:18:15 AM ---A little heads up for those going through Eastville...

https://shoredailynews.com/headlines/eastville-tops-in-state-in-percentage-of-law-enforcement-revenues/

--- End quote ---

This post came to mind when I saw an interesting piece in a recent article.

https://www.easternshorepost.com/2021/09/16/eastville-to-purchase-bingo-hall-to-help-with-fire-company-finances/

--- Quote ---Eastville’s water system must be self-sustaining – that is, the revenue the town receives from customers paying their water bills must be enough to cover the cost of operating the system – but it isn’t, he said.

The police fine revenue received by Eastville enables the town to keep the water running and stash away more savings for a rainy day, and without it, Eastville’s finances would be in “dire straits,” Caison said.
--- End quote ---

cpzilliacus:

--- Quote from: LM117 on October 02, 2021, 09:34:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: LM117 on September 09, 2019, 08:18:15 AM ---A little heads up for those going through Eastville...

https://shoredailynews.com/headlines/eastville-tops-in-state-in-percentage-of-law-enforcement-revenues/

--- End quote ---

This post came to mind when I saw an interesting piece in a recent article.

https://www.easternshorepost.com/2021/09/16/eastville-to-purchase-bingo-hall-to-help-with-fire-company-finances/

--- Quote ---Eastville’s water system must be self-sustaining – that is, the revenue the town receives from customers paying their water bills must be enough to cover the cost of operating the system – but it isn’t, he said.

The police fine revenue received by Eastville enables the town to keep the water running and stash away more savings for a rainy day, and without it, Eastville’s finances would be in “dire straits,” Caison said.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I have observed the Eastville speed trap in operation on U.S. 13 northbound.  Clearly seems to be about raising revenue.

They have unmarked SUVs observing traffic well before the corporate limits (here) on the northbound side and violators are pulled into the PNC Bank (at least when the bank is not open) prior to the signal at  VA-631 (Willow Oak Road). This might be legal because Virginia law usually grants municipal law enforcement some police powers outside of the city or town where they work. I do not know if they run a speed trap on other roads  such as Business U.S. 13 (Courthouse Road). 

Because Eastville is the county seat of Northampton County  the courts and a jail are located east of Business U.S. 13.

All of this are good reasons why county and municipal governments in Virginia should not be allowed to enact traffic laws that shadow those of Virginia and all revenue from traffic law enforcement should go to the Commonwealth - only.

LM117:
^ Eastville seems to be taking a page out of Hopewell and Emporia's playbook. 

I agree on your last paragraph. I might've mentioned this before a while back either here or on another thread, but back in 2012, the General Assembly tried to reduce the amount of ticket revenue local governments could keep, but that didn't last long thanks to the former delegate from Hopewell, Riley Ingram. He got that budget amendment repealed after Hopewell started feeling the pain. I had hoped that once the General Assembly changed hands, that the issue would be revisited, but it doesn't look like it. At least the Reckless Driving threshold was raised to 85mph, if nothing else. I thought Hell would freeze over before that ever happened.

I'll give these speed trap towns credit for being upfront and honest about why they're doing it instead of giving the typical "safety" argument. I guess they finally realize they're not kidding anyone anymore, so why bother? :-D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version