Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Virginia

<< < (1183/1209) > >>

Rothman:
Don't forget Waverly.

froggie:
These must be more recent endeavors.  Both of my times stationed in Norfolk (where I was a frequent user of 13 along the Eastern Shore), I almost never saw a cop in either Eastville or Waverly.

Though in fairness, we're talking 7 years now since I lived in the region.

sprjus4:
It doesnít help that in a lot of areas these speed traps exist (usually on the outskirts where itís still rural, rather in the town / slower areas), the speed limits are artificially low to begin with. That first link where itís 55 mph could easily handle 70 mph. But do that, and youíre almost getting a reckless ticket.

At minimum, Virginia should revise the existing law to add US-13 to the list of non-limited-access routes that can be posted at 60 mph, and increase those rural areas between towns. This applies to the entire corridor between the CBBT and the Maryland state line. The CBBT could reasonably be bumped to 60 mph as well, it's quite easy to hit 70+ mph without realizing it.

However, that will likely come with resistance from localities and most definitely the CBBT, so it's unrealistic for even a 5 mph increase. Then again, there was resistance when they did that to VA-207 and US-301 a few years back, but it still happened.

cpzilliacus:

--- Quote from: froggie on October 04, 2021, 08:32:21 PM ---These must be more recent endeavors.  Both of my times stationed in Norfolk (where I was a frequent user of 13 along the Eastern Shore), I almost never saw a cop in either Eastville or Waverly.

Though in fairness, we're talking 7 years now since I lived in the region.

--- End quote ---

I had not seen a speed trap in Eastville before my last visit through there about 2 or 3 months prior to the outbreak of COVID19.  So it may be a fairly recent innovation.  But you rolled through there more than I.

Over the years, I have frequently seen VSP working radar between the Maryland border and the CBBT north toll barrier, but that is part of their job.  Sometimes the Accomack County and Northampton County SO's would also be out fishing for speeders on U.S. 13, but I wonder if they might not have more interest in illegal drugs, illegal firearms, untaxed liquor and large amounts of cash.

plain:

--- Quote from: sprjus4 on October 04, 2021, 08:55:26 PM ---At minimum, Virginia should revise the existing law to add US-13 to the list of non-limited-access routes that can be posted at 60 mph, and increase those rural areas between towns. This applies to the entire corridor between the CBBT and the Maryland state line. The CBBT could reasonably be bumped to 60 mph as well, it's quite easy to hit 70+ mph without realizing it.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure about raising the speed limit there. Yeah there's some straight alignments between some towns, but some of those have a pretty narrow median (with a ditch in it no less). It's just not the same higher speed quality roadway that it is in DE & MD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version