Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Virginia

<< < (1208/1244) > >>

1995hoo:

--- Quote from: Mapmikey on November 30, 2021, 12:01:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: 1995hoo on November 30, 2021, 10:35:17 AM ---Plus it's illegal for a truck of that size to enter the express lanes, period—no vehicles with more than two axles are permitted.

--- End quote ---

I still see semis in the 95 express lanes almost every week.  Not as many on the 495 lanes as there used to be...

--- End quote ---

Doesn't really surprise me. They were allowed for many years, except for near the old southern end around Dumfries where they've always been banned due to the weigh station.

1995hoo:
Now he's starting to post crashes on the other side of I-395 when people decide to swerve wildly across multiple lanes in an attempt to access southbound Route 1 through Crystal City.

Watch this: Another driver fails in their mission to cross 3 lanes to get to an exit they're about to miss. Just before noon on I-395S at Exit 8C, Route 1 Crystal City. @WTOPtraffic @ARLnowDOTcom @VaDOTNOVA @luzcita #police #traffic #vatraffic #arlingtonva #crash #395cam #STATcam pic.twitter.com/FHJkPSAKA9— Dave Statter (@STATter911) December 1, 2021
--- End quote ---

plain:
For the SB crash, here's the dumbest part: they could've just stayed right and used the exit for the Pentagon and easily made their way back around to Pentagon City and US 1 SB.

I'm actually shocked that more vehicles weren't involved here.

plain:
I friend of mine in Newport News tipped me off to something he saw on the news today about I-64 in Norfolk. VDOT is having a virtual meeting tomorrow about converting the shoulders to Express Shoulder Lanes, but between I-564 and I-264 (eastern). My thing is the existing HOV Express Lanes in the median on this stretch is still very underutilized. I couldn't find the story on that news station's site (WAVY) but I found it from VDOT.

https://www.64expresslanes.org/under_design/norfolk.asp

What I did find in WAVY's site was this about a possible new Kings Highway Bridge in Suffolk, but still has no funding.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/suffolk/suffolk-city-staff-recommends-rebuilding-kings-highway-bridge-on-new-route/

sprjus4:

--- Quote from: plain on December 01, 2021, 08:56:05 PM ---I friend of mine in Newport News tipped me off to something he saw on the news today about I-64 in Norfolk. VDOT is having a virtual meeting tomorrow about converting the shoulders to Express Shoulder Lanes, but between I-564 and I-264 (eastern). My thing is the existing HOV Express Lanes in the median on this stretch is still very underutilized. I couldn't find the story on that news station's site (WAVY) but I found it from VDOT.

https://www.64expresslanes.org/under_design/norfolk.asp
--- End quote ---
I wouldn't say underutilized necessarily, it gets decent usage during peak hours, but this project is a waste, IMO. Not only in terms of usage in the off peak direction, but money too.

My biggest gripe of the project, however, isn't the HO/T concept. It's the design. Instead of properly reconstructing the entire highway to accommodate a full left paved shoulder that can be used as a part time HO/T lane, they are simply shifting the right shoulder to the shoulder. The typical section of the project calls for a two foot right shoulder along the entire project limits in the general purpose lanes, including the Chesapeake Blvd bridge replacement. Additionally, the project will retain the already dangerous left entrance ramp from Tidewater Drive heading westbound, that will now dump into the express lanes directly.

The idea that they want to eliminate the right paved shoulder entirely, full time, on a 7 mile segment of 6 lane urban interstate highway is extremely dangerous, IMO, and blatantly violates any sort of modern highway design along with interstate standards. And the retention of the left entrance is not helping things either. Both of these elements just makes it seem like it's being done on the cheap (still over $300 million however), and rushed, given they want this done before 2025.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version