Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Virginia

<< < (1210/1244) > >>

froggie:
^ Presuming you're referring to the US 50 portion.  I thought the VA 236 portion was already Little River Turnpike.

WillWeaverRVA:

--- Quote from: roadman65 on December 08, 2021, 10:26:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 08, 2021, 03:07:26 PM ---John Mosby and William Byrd highways are no more. Their new names are the Little River Turnpike and the Leesburg Pike respectively, which are really just their original names before segregationists changed them.

--- End quote ---

What about Jefferson Davis Highway in Arlington?  What about it statewide on US 1 along with Lee Highway on US 11, 211, and 29?

--- End quote ---

All of what used to be Jeff Davis Highway (US 1 and US 301) will be known as Emancipation Highway by state law effective on January 1st wherever a locality hasn't given it some other name.

US 1 is now Richmond Highway in Arlington, Alexandria (where it isn't Patrick St and Henry St), Fairfax, and Prince William (soon), as well as in the City of Richmond (where it isn't Brook Rd, Azalea Av, Chamberlayne Av, Belvidere St, or Cowardin Av).

Fredericksburg is letting the name become Emancipation Highway.

Caroline and Chesterfield are simply naming the road "Route 1", even though Jeff Davis Hwy in Chesterfield is also US 301.

US 1 has always had local names (or no name) everywhere else it runs - Washington Hwy in Hanover, Brook Rd in Henrico, Boulevard in Colonial Heights, several streets in Petersburg, and Boydton Plank Rd in Dinwiddie and Brunswick.

1995hoo:

--- Quote from: froggie on December 09, 2021, 10:11:08 AM ---^ Presuming you're referring to the US 50 portion.  I thought the VA 236 portion was already Little River Turnpike.

--- End quote ---

No part of Lee–Jackson Memorial Highway is part of VA-236. You're correct that VA-236 in Fairfax County is Little River Turnpike (I know that quite well—I grew up in a neighborhood accessible only via Route 236; my mom still lives there). In Fairfax City, of course, it becomes Main Street (and North Street for a short stretch), but Route 236 ends at the crossroads in Fairfax City where it meets US-29 and US-50, the intersection where Best Products used to be and just east of the row of car dealers. If you continue straight from westbound 236 at that intersection, you're on US-50; US-50 then remains Main Street according to some business addresses, or Fairfax Boulevard according to newer street signs and some other business addresses, until you hit the county line. At that point it becomes Lee–Jackson Memorial Highway. It's that section, from Fairfax City west to the Loudoun County line, that is likely to be renamed Little River Turnpike.

Edited to add something I forgot to say earlier: While I'm not big on the whole renaming fad in general, I have to think there's some sense in restoring the name Little River Turnpike at least as far west as Aldie. Little River is the name of an actual river and it passes under the road in question in Aldie at that spiffy-looking bridge with the stone walls on either side. You can trace the river's 23.4-mile route on Google Maps if you're so inclined; it rises just east of Marshall, flows up to Aldie, and flows into Goose Creek near Oatlands. The road is named for that river, so it makes some level of sense to restore the name so as to serve the area where the river is actually located.

AlexandriaVA:
I was driving down in the Tidewater area last week, and it got me thinking about the Norfolk-area interstate numbering plan.

Is there are rationale for having I-64 end where it does? I'm going to guess that maybe I-64 was the original interstate in the area, and made a fishhook shape, and that the rest of I-664 and the others came in later.

That said, you don't have to change illogical numbering plans (e.g. DC with 395 et. al.)

I would argue:

I-64 ends in Hampton VA at the Coliseum.
I-664 constitutes the Hampton Roads Beltway, a perfect loop of I-664 only.
I-564, I-264, and I-494 remain as-is.

And then you still have several options for 3DI spurs/bypasses for future growth, if needed.

1995hoo:

--- Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 10, 2021, 08:47:25 AM ---I was driving down in the Tidewater area last week, and it got me thinking about the Norfolk-area interstate numbering plan.

Is there are rationale for having I-64 end where it does? I'm going to guess that maybe I-64 was the original interstate in the area, and made a fishhook shape, and that the rest of I-664 and the others came in later.

That said, you don't have to change illogical numbering plans (e.g. DC with 395 et. al.)

I would argue:

I-64 ends in Hampton VA at the Coliseum.
I-664 constitutes the Hampton Roads Beltway, a perfect loop of I-664 only.
I-564, I-264, and I-494 remain as-is.

And then you still have several options for 3DI spurs/bypasses for future growth, if needed.

--- End quote ---

I-664 came substantially later. The bridge-tunnel opened in 1992; the segment from what's now Exit 10 down to the interchange with I-64 and I-264 opened in 1993.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version