Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Virginia

<< < (1222/1244) > >>

hbelkins:
So there will be a two-lane gap in what otherwise would be a four-lane between Pikeville and Roanoke?

And wasn't the coal company-state partnership the same type of deal that was struck down in West Virginia for the US 52 King Coal Highway project?

Dirt Roads:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2022, 04:45:57 PM ---And wasn't the coal company-state partnership the same type of deal that was struck down in West Virginia for the US 52 King Coal Highway project?

--- End quote ---

But the King Coal public-private partnership turned out to be deemed illegally sole sourced.  If that wasn't bad enough, another case determined that wages on that project were subject to the Davis-Bacon Act (prevailing wages are to be paid on Federally-funded projects).  That coal contractor was Nicewonder Contracting, who just recently completed a similar public-private partnership project to construct the new [Mingo Regional] Airport (a.k.a. Appalachian Regional Airport), as well as donating the previously reclaimed mine for the Mingo Central High School (completed 2011).  Nicewonder has been part of Alpha Metallurgical since 2005, but Don Nicewonder still has a strong hand in the business.  None of this rings as a scandal, but who knows?

tolbs17:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2022, 04:45:57 PM ---So there will be a two-lane gap in what otherwise would be a four-lane between Pikeville and Roanoke?

And wasn't the coal company-state partnership the same type of deal that was struck down in West Virginia for the US 52 King Coal Highway project?

--- End quote ---
I really think it should be upgraded to interstate standards to reflect I-73 and I-74 going on it to bypass the Charleston traffic and provide better access to the Midwest...

That being said, I wish VDOT just signs I-74 now to Wytheville.

sprjus4:

--- Quote from: tolbs17 on January 23, 2022, 08:20:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2022, 04:45:57 PM ---So there will be a two-lane gap in what otherwise would be a four-lane between Pikeville and Roanoke?

--- End quote ---
I really think it should be upgraded to interstate standards to reflect I-73 and I-74 going on it to bypass the Charleston traffic and provide better access to the Midwest...

--- End quote ---
I-73 and I-74 are likely never going to leave North Carolina to begin with, let alone get north of I-81.

plain:

--- Quote from: sprjus4 on January 23, 2022, 08:22:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: tolbs17 on January 23, 2022, 08:20:39 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I-73 and I-74 are likely never going to leave North Carolina to begin with, let alone get north of I-81.

--- End quote ---

I-73 still has a shot, but just to Roanoke.

I-74, not so much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version