User Content > Road Trips

New England in August

<< < (3/8) > >>

Rothman:

--- Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2021, 09:02:04 AM ---^ Hence why I mentioned a day-trip may be possible, but overnight accommodations probably not.

That said, I've read reports recently where, once day parking lots fill up, NPS is indeed restricting access at other national parks.  Not sure if that's the case at Acadia.  It's certainly happening at the state level at places such as Franconia Notch.

--- End quote ---

Acadia was established with all sorts of weird conditions, which is why you have the free and too-popular section of the park and then the for-fee loop road.  Cadillac Mountain in particular is an absolute mess and overrun with crowds (signs say "Leave No Trace" -- Seeing the unmanageable crowd on the summit, my father quipped, "Yep, leave no trace of wildlife whatsoever.").  I am sure they may establish reservations for the Loop Road, but they'll probably keep doing what they've done for Jordan Pond/Cadillac Mountain -- when the lots fill up and the waiting line is jamming the driveways up, sorry, just drive around until something opens up.

hobsini2:

--- Quote from: cabiness42 on June 21, 2021, 04:19:29 PM ---We just came back from New England. Had to go via Indianapolis to drop off/pick up our dog at the in-laws, so the western segment of our routes won't match up. I-80 in Pennsylvania had some spots that were down to 1 land but on weekday mornings/afternoons, it didn't slow us down any. We were also on most of I-90 in New York with no problems.

Two of the most scenic places we went were:
Provincetown (end of Cape Cod)
Kennebunkpoint/Walker Point (summer home of Bush Family)

--- End quote ---
Good to know. Thanks.

hobsini2:

--- Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2021, 11:10:39 AM ---

--- Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2021, 09:02:04 AM ---^ Hence why I mentioned a day-trip may be possible, but overnight accommodations probably not.

That said, I've read reports recently where, once day parking lots fill up, NPS is indeed restricting access at other national parks.  Not sure if that's the case at Acadia.  It's certainly happening at the state level at places such as Franconia Notch.

--- End quote ---

Acadia was established with all sorts of weird conditions, which is why you have the free and too-popular section of the park and then the for-fee loop road.  Cadillac Mountain in particular is an absolute mess and overrun with crowds (signs say "Leave No Trace" -- Seeing the unmanageable crowd on the summit, my father quipped, "Yep, leave no trace of wildlife whatsoever.").  I am sure they may establish reservations for the Loop Road, but they'll probably keep doing what they've done for Jordan Pond/Cadillac Mountain -- when the lots fill up and the waiting line is jamming the driveways up, sorry, just drive around until something opens up.

--- End quote ---

Interesting note on Acadia that I was not aware of.

hobsini2:
So I have figured out the first leg (Chicago to Pittsburgh) so I can add 12 more counties to my list.
Roughly - Remington IN, Peru, Warren, Montpelier, Geneva, Bryant, Celina OH, St Marys, Wapakoneta, Kenton, Marion, Mt Gilead, Mt Vernon, Killbuck, Coshocton, Uhrichsville, Cadiz, Steubenville and Weirton WV.

https://goo.gl/maps/JKNKG3K8EbmkFDJb7

INDIANA
Wabash
Huntington
Wells
Blackford
Jay
Adams

OHIO
Mercer
Morrow
Knox
Coshocton
Tuscarawas
Harrison

So any POIs along that way would be cool.

I will post the legs as i map them out.

cabiness42:
Here's an alternative to the fist part of your trip if you're game:

I have family in Logansport so I go there regularly, and if I don't feel like fighting the trucks on 65, I get off at US 231 and take US 231->IN 8->IN 39->IN 10->US 35. It's only a few minutes slower and much more peaceful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version