News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New England in August

Started by hobsini2, June 16, 2021, 08:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

So I am going to finally be able to take a 2 week vacation in August. The plan is to go to New England to meet up with my brother who is currently hiking the Appalachian Trail with his wife (probably somewhere in New Hampshire) and my uncle and cousin in New London. While I have been to a number of places in Southern New England, I am going to go at some point in the trip to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.

First, any traffic help on current construction is greatly appreciated.
Second, aside from driving on top of Mt Washington, any scenic places suggested is also appreciate.
Third, logistically, where are some "cheap" gas options that are llocal gas price wars?

Thanks in advance.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

webny99

There is a lot of great scenery in Vermont. It's best in the fall, but still amazing even in the summer. I'd recommend the gondolas at Stratton Mountain and Mount Equinox Skyline Drive (which is tolled) if you want great views.

Can't help much with #1 or #3, but there are plenty of members here from New England that probably can.  :biggrin:

froggie

For #1, I would recommend hitting each respective state's DOT or 511 page.

#2 has more than one can shake a stick at.  I'd need a more detailed itinerary to focus on what would be nearby or along the route.

#3 doesn't really exist in northern New England...certainly not to the extent one would get used to in Chicagoland...

hobsini2

Quote from: froggie on June 17, 2021, 09:53:09 PM
For #1, I would recommend hitting each respective state's DOT or 511 page.

#2 has more than one can shake a stick at.  I'd need a more detailed itinerary to focus on what would be nearby or along the route.

#3 doesn't really exist in northern New England...certainly not to the extent one would get used to in Chicagoland...

Other than being in New England and going to Mt Washington and New London for sure, pretty wide open for 2 weeks. I would like to go to Cape Cod, Acadia and Lake Champlain as well.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

froggie

Thanks to post-COVID, Acadia will be difficult to get to without well-in-advance reservations, probably impossible at this point if you're going in August.  You could probably sneak a day-trip into Bar Harbor, but probably not much beyond that.

If you're going to do Cape Cod, do it mid-week.  Don't even think of trying between Thursday and Monday.

Lake Champlain is pretty doable.  Drive across part of the lake on US 2 (and see most of Vermont's rare jughandles on the way from I-89).  Two ferries that are fairly useful if you don't want to swing long to cross the bridges.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on June 21, 2021, 10:20:37 AM
Thanks to post-COVID, Acadia will be difficult to get to without well-in-advance reservations, probably impossible at this point if you're going in August.  You could probably sneak a day-trip into Bar Harbor, but probably not much beyond that.

Are you referring to overnight reservations, or just to enter the park?

I only ask because I also have tentative plans to visit Acadia in July. We aren't planning on overnighting in the park, but if you can't even get in without a reservation, that changes things.

froggie

Definitely the former.  I have heard rumors to the latter but have not verified yet.

NWI_Irish96

We just came back from New England. Had to go via Indianapolis to drop off/pick up our dog at the in-laws, so the western segment of our routes won't match up. I-80 in Pennsylvania had some spots that were down to 1 land but on weekday mornings/afternoons, it didn't slow us down any. We were also on most of I-90 in New York with no problems.

Two of the most scenic places we went were:
Provincetown (end of Cape Cod)
Kennebunkpoint/Walker Point (summer home of Bush Family)
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on June 21, 2021, 10:20:37 AM

If you're going to do Cape Cod, do it mid-week.  Don't even think of trying between Thursday and Monday.

Lake Champlain is pretty doable.  Drive across part of the lake on US 2 (and see most of Vermont's rare jughandles on the way from I-89).  Two ferries that are fairly useful if you don't want to swing long to cross the bridges.
I don't see how they can restrict access to the free sections of the park -- Jordan Pond or Cadillac Mountain like that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

^ Hence why I mentioned a day-trip may be possible, but overnight accommodations probably not.

That said, I've read reports recently where, once day parking lots fill up, NPS is indeed restricting access at other national parks.  Not sure if that's the case at Acadia.  It's certainly happening at the state level at places such as Franconia Notch.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2021, 09:02:04 AM
^ Hence why I mentioned a day-trip may be possible, but overnight accommodations probably not.

That said, I've read reports recently where, once day parking lots fill up, NPS is indeed restricting access at other national parks.  Not sure if that's the case at Acadia.  It's certainly happening at the state level at places such as Franconia Notch.

Acadia was established with all sorts of weird conditions, which is why you have the free and too-popular section of the park and then the for-fee loop road.  Cadillac Mountain in particular is an absolute mess and overrun with crowds (signs say "Leave No Trace" -- Seeing the unmanageable crowd on the summit, my father quipped, "Yep, leave no trace of wildlife whatsoever.").  I am sure they may establish reservations for the Loop Road, but they'll probably keep doing what they've done for Jordan Pond/Cadillac Mountain -- when the lots fill up and the waiting line is jamming the driveways up, sorry, just drive around until something opens up.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hobsini2

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 21, 2021, 04:19:29 PM
We just came back from New England. Had to go via Indianapolis to drop off/pick up our dog at the in-laws, so the western segment of our routes won't match up. I-80 in Pennsylvania had some spots that were down to 1 land but on weekday mornings/afternoons, it didn't slow us down any. We were also on most of I-90 in New York with no problems.

Two of the most scenic places we went were:
Provincetown (end of Cape Cod)
Kennebunkpoint/Walker Point (summer home of Bush Family)
Good to know. Thanks.

hobsini2

Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2021, 11:10:39 AM

Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2021, 09:02:04 AM

Acadia was established with all sorts of weird conditions, which is why you have the free and too-popular section of the park and then the for-fee loop road.  Cadillac Mountain in particular is an absolute mess and overrun with crowds (signs say "Leave No Trace" -- Seeing the unmanageable crowd on the summit, my father quipped, "Yep, leave no trace of wildlife whatsoever.").  I am sure they may establish reservations for the Loop Road, but they'll probably keep doing what they've done for Jordan Pond/Cadillac Mountain -- when the lots fill up and the waiting line is jamming the driveways up, sorry, just drive around until something opens up.

Interesting note on Acadia that I was not aware of.

hobsini2

So I have figured out the first leg (Chicago to Pittsburgh) so I can add 12 more counties to my list.
Roughly - Remington IN, Peru, Warren, Montpelier, Geneva, Bryant, Celina OH, St Marys, Wapakoneta, Kenton, Marion, Mt Gilead, Mt Vernon, Killbuck, Coshocton, Uhrichsville, Cadiz, Steubenville and Weirton WV.

https://goo.gl/maps/JKNKG3K8EbmkFDJb7

INDIANA
Wabash
Huntington
Wells
Blackford
Jay
Adams

OHIO
Mercer
Morrow
Knox
Coshocton
Tuscarawas
Harrison

So any POIs along that way would be cool.

I will post the legs as i map them out.

NWI_Irish96

Here's an alternative to the fist part of your trip if you're game:

I have family in Logansport so I go there regularly, and if I don't feel like fighting the trucks on 65, I get off at US 231 and take US 231->IN 8->IN 39->IN 10->US 35. It's only a few minutes slower and much more peaceful.

hobsini2

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 04, 2021, 08:17:32 PM
Here's an alternative to the fist part of your trip if you're game:

I have family in Logansport so I go there regularly, and if I don't feel like fighting the trucks on 65, I get off at US 231 and take US 231->IN 8->IN 39->IN 10->US 35. It's only a few minutes slower and much more peaceful.
I appreciate the tip.  According to Google's timing, it's only 4 minutes longer that way but 4 miles shorter.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 02, 2021, 02:04:06 PM

I don't know that either of these would be considered something to get out of the car for, but two tidbits.

Wabash, IN, specifically the courthouse, was the first electrically lit city in the US.

Also, as you head SE out of Wabash, you'll pass through the tiny town of LaFontaine, which is the hometown of recently retired hockey announcer Doc Emrick. He went to the same college as my parents, a year ahead of my mom and a year behind my dad.

hobsini2

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 06, 2021, 02:47:52 PM

I don't know that either of these would be considered something to get out of the car for, but two tidbits.

Wabash, IN, specifically the courthouse, was the first electrically lit city in the US.

Also, as you head SE out of Wabash, you'll pass through the tiny town of LaFontaine, which is the hometown of recently retired hockey announcer Doc Emrick. He went to the same college as my parents, a year ahead of my mom and a year behind my dad.
I like little tidbits like that.  A few years ago, I was driving back from Muncie and discovered the hometown of James Dean somewhere along US 35 or Ind 26 before Kokomo.
On another trip down to Nashville, I took Ill 1 all the way down to Cave in the Rock.  Going through Marshall, I discovered the "World's Largest Gavel".

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 07, 2021, 03:05:33 PM

I like little tidbits like that.  A few years ago, I was driving back from Muncie and discovered the hometown of James Dean somewhere along US 35 or Ind 26 before Kokomo.
On another trip down to Nashville, I took Ill 1 all the way down to Cave in the Rock.  Going through Marshall, I discovered the "World's Largest Gavel".

James Dean's hometown is Fairmount, on IN 26 just east of IN 9.

hobsini2

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 07, 2021, 03:08:11 PM

That was it. I couldn't recall if it was Fairmont or Greentown.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 07, 2021, 03:11:50 PM

I know nothing interesting about Greentown that would distinguish it from Greensboro, Greensburg, Greenville, Greencastle or Greenwood.

hobsini2

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 07, 2021, 03:13:32 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on July 07, 2021, 03:11:50 PM

I know nothing interesting about Greentown that would distinguish it from Greensboro, Greensburg, Greenville, Greencastle or Greenwood.
Well, looking at Google Maps, according to it, the Howard County Fairgrounds and a soda shop called Hydration Station are there. So there ya go.

Roadgeekteen

The White Mountains are spectacular, with lots of good hiking. A bit out of the way but I would recommend driving to the top of New Hampshire on US 3. There is some beautiful scenery up there and it's not that crowded.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hobsini2

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 08, 2021, 05:04:51 PM
The White Mountains are spectacular, with lots of good hiking. A bit out of the way but I would recommend driving to the top of New Hampshire on US 3. There is some beautiful scenery up there and it's not that crowded.
Looks like the AT comes near enough to there to explore the end of US 3. I certainly will be driving to the summit of Mt Washington.  I was trying to figure out if I was going to come in from Maine or Boston though. Probably leaning toward going from Boston up the coast to Acadia & Calais, possibly up to Caribou and then over to Mt Washington and Lake Champlain before heading home via Cooperstown.

hobsini2

So I finally have my road trip timing scheduled roughly.  I leave this Saturday after work.

Roughly the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1IyvFq202kdffipkk2vfUABdMZIfxMt5x&usp=sharing

Sat July 31 Bolingbrook to Cleveland-ish
Sun Aug 1 Cleveland-ish to New London
Mon Aug 2 New London/Rhode Island day
Tue Aug 3 New London/Cape Cod day
Wed Aug 4 New London to Andover ME to get my brother & his wife from the Appalachian Trail. Then go to Bar Harbor.
Thur Aug 5 Bar Harbor to Calais to Houlton to Andover to drop them back on the trail.
Fri Aug 6 Andover to Mt Washington NH to north around Lake Champlain to Saratoga Springs NY.
Sat Aug 7 Saratoga Springs to Cooperstown to Niagara Falls
Sun Aug 8 Niagara Falls to Home.

So with that being said, any restaurant or POIs would be appreciated.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.