The Most Hated Freeway in Each City

Started by kernals12, June 18, 2021, 01:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinecraftNinja

Revive 755

Quote from: Rothman on June 18, 2021, 09:35:09 PM
90/94 was improved greatly over what it was like when I was a kid.

It still needs the cluster north of I-290 fixed, or at least some sort of express lane/bypass option through there.

But I agree with I-290 being worst.  First there's the delays from the ramp to the SB Tri-State which will be fixed in a few years but seem to have gotten worse lately as they now seem to be starting at York Road.  Then there's the perpetual delay east of US 12/20/45/Mannheim Road.  It used to open up east of Austin where the fourth lane starts but sometimes there would be another slow spot approaching I-90/I-94, maybe before the start of construction at that interchange.

Great Lakes Roads

TXtoNJ

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 18, 2021, 09:56:56 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on June 18, 2021, 07:16:29 PM
I don't live there, but from visits to Austin, is it a safe assumption that I-35 wins this title?
Yes. Horrendous traffic all day on a summer Saturday when I visited in 2019. Even really busy at 9 PM at night.

Houston would likely be the Pierce Elevated.

Baton Rouge would be I-10 between I-110 and I-12.

35 is the easy winner for Austin. Houston's the West Loop, not the Pierce Elevated. Dallas historically was the Central Expressway, then LBJ north, but both are fairly good now after their respective reconstructions. I'm not sure what the winner now is.

hotdogPi

Quote from: TXtoNJ on June 20, 2021, 07:03:51 PMDallas historically was the Central Expressway, then LBJ north, but both are fairly good now after their respective reconstructions. I'm not sure what the winner now is.

I-345, but for a different reason
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

index

I-77's toll lane segment in the Charlotte metro now, probably. Every time I drive on it I want to melt down the toll camera gantries with thermite.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

SkyPesos

Quote from: index on June 20, 2021, 08:07:49 PM
I-77's toll lane segment in the Charlotte metro now, probably. Every time I drive on it I want to melt down the toll camera gantries with thermite.
I drove down I-77 in Charlotte about 3 weeks ago, and the toll lanes look like that 2 of the past 4 general use lanes got taken out and rebranded to be monetized. I didn't know doing that is allowed now. Traffic on the 2 general lanes were pretty bad, and there were almost no one on the toll lanes, probably because of the almost $3 toll to use it for about 3-5 miles. There is a free for 2+ passengers option (we were driving with 4), but only on certain E-ZPass transponders, but our Ohio's is not included in the list (probably because of the lack of HOT lanes in the state). The most unusual part is that our GPS wants us to use the toll lanes unless we check the "no tolls" option, which would also eliminate the WV turnpike from our routing.

DeaconG

I-4 in Orlando, it's the worlds fastest parking lot. Used to work over by the interchange of I-4 with John Young Parkway and commute from the Space Coast. There's nothing like getting on the on-ramp that afternoon to head home and see traffic moving at 15 miles and hour in both directions. There were days it would get so bad I would take the Turnpike to the Beachline to keep from crawling down I-4 to the Beachline. (Shivers).
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

sprjus4

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 20, 2021, 08:17:09 PM
Quote from: index on June 20, 2021, 08:07:49 PM
I drove down I-77 in Charlotte about 3 weeks ago, and the toll lanes look like that 2 of the past 4 general use lanes got taken out and rebranded to be monetized. I didn't know doing that is allowed now. Traffic on the 2 general lanes were pretty bad, and there were almost no one on the toll lanes, probably because of the almost $3 toll to use it for about 3-5 miles. There is a free for 2+ passengers option (we were driving with 4), but only on certain E-ZPass transponders, but our Ohio's is not included in the list (probably because of the lack of HOT lanes in the state). The most unusual part is that our GPS wants us to use the toll lanes unless we check the "no tolls" option, which would also eliminate the WV turnpike from our routing.
No, I-77 was only 4 lanes before that project. The project added two HO/T lanes in each direction.

Agreed though, they should have expanded the highway to 8 general purpose lanes like they did I-85 north of the city, all the way to Lexington, not the HO/T lanes. They're a joke that quite literally are "Lexus lanes" .

Flint1979

I took I-77 through Charlotte at the end of April and got caught in traffic going northbound I think I remember seeing what you guys are talking about though.

sparker

Here in the South Bay/San Jose area, it would have to be a virtual tie between US 101 from about McKee Road north all the way into Mountain View simply due to traffic backing up for no particular reason, even during off-peak hours, and I-280 from US 101 to I-880/CA 17 due to the inexplicable method (or lack thereof) of adding, dropping, or just forgetting to mark lanes in areas where there are multiple exits and entrances.  Dishonorable mention: I-880 from North First Street north to CA 237; this includes the infamous 101/880 quasi-cloverleaf.  As with 101, can bunch up at any time without warning.  Other freeways may incite similar levels of vitriol (like CA 17 "over the hill") but most of those have been internalized by the users; its the ones where you're tooling along during mid-day only to come across a windshield full of red brake lights that draw the most sheer hatred!

Tom958

In Atlanta, I guess I-285 attracts the most vitriol, but I-85 between 285 and 316 is now congested for much of the day, especially southbound, in addition to suffering from severe peak-hour congestion.

Then again, the Downtown Connector has been like that for a long time.

planxtymcgillicuddy

North Carolina's would have to be the 77 toll lanes as mentioned earlier, and I nominate I-277 and I-40 in the Statesville vicinity
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

sprjus4

deathtopumpkins

Here in NH, probably I-93 from the Hooksett tolls through Concord.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

US 89

Quote from: Tom958 on June 21, 2021, 05:54:24 AM
In Atlanta, I guess I-285 attracts the most vitriol, but I-85 between 285 and 316 is now congested for much of the day, especially southbound, in addition to suffering from severe peak-hour congestion.

At least with the Connector you know what you're getting into. That part of 85 is reliably congested but doesn't really seem like it should be, since it seems none of the other freeways coming out of Atlanta get half as bad when they cross the Perimeter.

The problem with 285 is it's an all-or-nothing freeway at least in my experience. Most of the time you zoom along at 70+ mph, but if there's a crash (as there often is) you're going 0, with no real in between.

Some one

Quote from: TXtoNJ on June 20, 2021, 07:03:51 PM
I don't live there, but from visits to Austin, is it a safe assumption that I-35 wins this title?
Yes. Horrendous traffic all day on a summer Saturday when I visited in 2019. Even really busy at 9 PM at night.

35 is the easy winner for Austin. Houston's the West Loop, not the Pierce Elevated. Dallas historically was the Central Expressway, then LBJ north, but both are fairly good now after their respective reconstructions. I'm not sure what the winner now is.
I'd argue that I-45 is the most hated highway in Houston, though the West loop (and 288 and 290) are up there.

I-55

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 20, 2021, 04:56:02 PM
Indianapolis: Easy, I-465!

No, the winner is I-465 with three lanes closed. I-465 by itself isn't terrible.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

achilles765

Quote from: Some one on June 21, 2021, 08:37:41 PM

I'd argue that I-45 is the most hated highway in Houston, though the West loop (and 288 and 290) are up there.

I think 290 used to be the most hated along with the west loop. But 290 isn't as bad since most of the reconstruction is done. Though I haven't been out that way in a long time (I live in east end). I think some people do hate 45, especially the pierce but I've always liked it.
Who hates 288?

Personally, I hate the west loop, never liked 290, and always forget about 225 and 146. I like 45 and 69/59
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

CoreySamson

Quote from: achilles765 on June 22, 2021, 02:44:27 AM
Quote from: Some one on June 21, 2021, 08:37:41 PM

I think 290 used to be the most hated along with the west loop. But 290 isn't as bad since most of the reconstruction is done. Though I haven't been out that way in a long time (I live in east end). I think some people do hate 45, especially the pierce but I've always liked it.
Who hates 288?

Personally, I hate the west loop, never liked 290, and always forget about 225 and 146. I like 45 and 69/59
288's not bad. I hardly have troubles with it. I picked I-45 because it is always congested. I've heard the worst about 290 but the construction's done. Never heard anything good or bad about the West loop.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Henry

Quote from: US 89 on June 21, 2021, 02:08:33 PM

At least with the Connector you know what you're getting into. That part of 85 is reliably congested but doesn't really seem like it should be, since it seems none of the other freeways coming out of Atlanta get half as bad when they cross the Perimeter.

The problem with 285 is it's an all-or-nothing freeway at least in my experience. Most of the time you zoom along at 70+ mph, but if there's a crash (as there often is) you're going 0, with no real in between.
I've been through Atlanta a few times, and based on my experiences there, I often call it the Los Angeles of the South, mainly because in terms of congestion its freeways are just as bad, if not worse. Of course, it's a lot smaller than L.A., but still a huge metro area in and of itself. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that I-405 is the worst freeway in L.A., so I guess that I-285 is the Atlanta version of it (in more ways than one).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Ricw24

Quote from: webny99 on June 18, 2021, 06:47:32 PM
For Rochester, I really don't think any of our freeways are "hated", which goes to show how spoiled this area is in terms of traffic congestion. But if pressed, I would nominate the following sections as the most frustrating:
-The four-lane section of I-490 between Exit 25 and 27
-I-490 between Exit 21 and 23 (needs auxiliary lanes)
-Maybe a few others that I will add as I think of them

For Buffalo, I would think it has to be the free section of I-90, especially north of I-190, due to the mixture of local and thru traffic and outdated cloverleaf interchanges at NY 33 and Walden Ave. I am not aware of any major issues with I-190 and I-990, and the issues with I-290 and NY 33 are arguably because of I-90 (in particular, the slowdowns on the south/westbound approaches to I-90).

NY-198? Not because of traffic but because of the pure frastration.

Avalanchez71

I-24 between Murfreesboro and Nashville during commuter traffic is the most hated freeway in the Nashville area. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Henry on June 24, 2021, 11:22:56 AM
Quote from: US 89 on June 21, 2021, 02:08:33 PM

I've been through Atlanta a few times, and based on my experiences there, I often call it the Los Angeles of the South, mainly because in terms of congestion its freeways are just as bad, if not worse. Of course, it's a lot smaller than L.A., but still a huge metro area in and of itself. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that I-405 is the worst freeway in L.A., so I guess that I-285 is the Atlanta version of it (in more ways than one).
Atlanta is indeed no picnic to drive through. I've for years been trying to find a legit bypass of it but haven't come up with much. Last time I had to drive back from Florida I took I-95 up to I-26 then up to I-77, to I-64 to US-35 to US-23 to OH-315 back to US-23 then up OH-15 back to I-75 so I bypassed Atlanta and Cincinnati but driving on I-26 in South Carolina sucked big time. Driving on some of I-95 in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina sucked too. I think once I got north of Charlotte I was fine and spent the night in Statesville.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on June 19, 2021, 09:51:31 AM
i nominate denver's i-270.
i have sort of a love/hate relationship with this road. it's handy, since a lot of my denver friends live on the east/northeast side of town and its handy to get to them via that road...

that being said.. it's beat to all hell, frequently congested, and just a hot mess. like, it gets no respect for being what it is.

While I definitely think I-270 is the worst highway around, I'd say for the Denver metro area in general, people probably hate I-25 the most on weekdays and I-70 on weekends (and the I-70 part is Colorado as a whole, not necessarily the stretch through the Denver area).  Not enough people drive I-270 in the metro area comparatively to make it most hated.   

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.