Regional Boards > Canada

Why doesn't the Trans Canadian Highway serve Toronto?

<< < (12/13) > >>

dmuzika:
I was wondering if had any insight on the ON 66/QC 117/A 15 leg of the Trans-Canada Highway between Montreal and ON 11 as it seems like an odd addition to the TCH. According to Google Maps, it's the shortest route between Montreal and Thunder Bay (and by extension, Western Canada), but is it actually widely used by cross-country traffic? Do trucks use that route or would they usually go through Ottawa? For reference, according to Google Maps, the distance and time between Thunder Bay and Montreal via the three main different TCH combinations is as follows:

* ON 11, ON 61, QC 117, A 15 via Cochrane and Val-d'Or: 1602 km (18 hr 26 min)
* ON 11, ON 17/417, A 40 via Cochrane and Ottawa: 1655 km (17 hr 46 min)
* ON 17/417, A 40 via Sault Ste Marie and Ottawa: 1685 km (18 hr 10 min)

cbeach40:

--- Quote from: dmuzika on October 12, 2021, 12:43:11 PM ---I was wondering if had any insight on the ON 66/QC 117/A 15 leg of the Trans-Canada Highway between Montreal and ON 11 as it seems like an odd addition to the TCH. According to Google Maps, it's the shortest route between Montreal and Thunder Bay (and by extension, Western Canada), but is it actually widely used by cross-country traffic? Do trucks use that route or would they usually go through Ottawa? For reference, according to Google Maps, the distance and time between Thunder Bay and Montreal via the three main different TCH combinations is as follows:

--- End quote ---

I'm sure there's more than zero, but I would suspect that the route through Val-d'Or et al was lobbied for so Quebec and Ontario could grab some federal cash for those roads. I mean, that's the primary reason the Central Ontario Route exists, no one is driving through between Ottawa and Sudbury via Peterborough and Orillia for any practical reason.

dmuzika:

--- Quote from: cbeach40 on October 13, 2021, 11:33:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: dmuzika on October 12, 2021, 12:43:11 PM ---I was wondering if had any insight on the ON 66/QC 117/A 15 leg of the Trans-Canada Highway between Montreal and ON 11 as it seems like an odd addition to the TCH. According to Google Maps, it's the shortest route between Montreal and Thunder Bay (and by extension, Western Canada), but is it actually widely used by cross-country traffic? Do trucks use that route or would they usually go through Ottawa? For reference, according to Google Maps, the distance and time between Thunder Bay and Montreal via the three main different TCH combinations is as follows:

--- End quote ---

I'm sure there's more than zero, but I would suspect that the route through Val-d'Or et al was lobbied for so Quebec and Ontario could grab some federal cash for those roads. I mean, that's the primary reason the Central Ontario Route exists, no one is driving through between Ottawa and Sudbury via Peterborough and Orillia for any practical reason.

--- End quote ---

Fair enough. Out west, the Yellowhead Highway was heavily promoted in an effort to attract Edmonton-Vancouver traffic ("the shortest route from Edmonton to the coast!"), so I wonder if there's something similar happening there? As for Central Ontario, it is the original TCH alignment, albeit redundant.

vdeane:
If it's the original TCH alignment, why does the TCH follow the ON 69 corridor from Sudbury rather than ON 11 from North Bay, given that ON 11 from Nipigon to North Bay was also the original alignment?  That makes me think it wasn't so much "original" as "first to be finished" (such may seem the same but they aren't; "original" means that one was the way it was and then the other was added after the fact, "first to be finished" means both were always planned and one happened to be done before the other).

ghYHZ:
In the book A Road for Canada...a map on page 75 show the Trans-Canada Highway extending from Halifax to Vancouver. From the text in the accompanying newspaper article I'm guessing the map is from 1947 or 48.  There's no route across Newfoundland as they were a separate country until entering Confederation in 1949. Victoria is also not shown.

A solid line from North Bay to Sault Ste Marie and onto Ft. William (Thunder Bay)is shown as the ”Official Trans-Canada Highway” but with a note: ”Unfinished Gap” along the north shore of Lake Superior.

Also shown are ”Alternate Routes” as dashed lines and this includes North Bay-Cochrane-Ft. William......with the note: ”Route Now Open”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version