Regional Boards > Canada

Why doesn't the Trans Canadian Highway serve Toronto?

<< < (2/13) > >>

splashflash:

--- Quote from: ghYHZ on June 21, 2021, 09:24:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 20, 2021, 08:23:37 PM ---It has a bizarre loop on some surface roads that brings it somewhat close to Toronto, but it doesn't actually reach to city.

--- End quote ---

As much as Toronto would like to think they're the Centre of the Universe....they're not! :)

And here in Nova Scotia...the Trans Canada Highway misses Halifax, the Capital by 100km as it takes a direct route from the NB-NS Border at Amherst to the Newfoundland Ferry at North Sydney.

--- End quote ---

The TCH does start/finish in Victoria and skirt Vancouver and bisects the southern part of the Fraser Valley.  It has not taken the most direct route since 1986 when the Coquihalla Highway was built from Hope to Merritt and then Kamloops.  It follows the Fraser River to Lytton and then the Thompson River to Kamloops,, adding about 75 km or 1 1/2 hours to the route. 

silverback1065:

--- Quote from: SkyPesos on June 20, 2021, 08:33:43 PM ---Maybe the same reason why NYC doesnít get served by a x0 US route?

--- End quote ---

US 1 goes through NYC and that's a main US route

SkyPesos:

--- Quote from: silverback1065 on June 21, 2021, 10:09:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: SkyPesos on June 20, 2021, 08:33:43 PM ---Maybe the same reason why NYC doesnít get served by a x0 US route?

--- End quote ---

US 1 goes through NYC and that's a main US route

--- End quote ---
I know, but for a city its size, you expect it to get both a x1 and x0. Maybe US 20 wouldíve went to NYC if US 10 didnít end in Detroit and used the route to Boston instead, but thatís fictional stuff.

Henry:
I've always wondered that myself, but having lots of 400-series highways (mainly 401) should make up for it.

Roadgeekteen:

--- End quote ---
Yeah strange that US 30 and US 40 go to Atlantic City. One should have been routed further north.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version