News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Lake Shore Drive Renamed

Started by roadman65, June 25, 2021, 10:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Until this year, Brussels had a tunnel named after Leopold II, the guy who chopped off the limbs of millions of Congolese.

thspfc

If it had to be renamed I would have preferred Michael Jordan Drive.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: thspfc on June 26, 2021, 08:43:33 PM

Good idea, I also thought of "Golden Jet Drive" as a nod to Bobby Hull.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 26, 2021, 10:21:39 PM

Naming it for Hull would have missed the point of why people were advocating for this change.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

edwaleni

This is really a nothing burger.

When WBBM-AM traffic reports call out the route, I could care less if they call it Lake Shore Drive or the "DuSable".

Just like I-94 between the Dan Ryan and the Tri-State was before it was called the Bishop Ford.

They would simply say 94 from the Tri-State to the split, or the "Dan Ryan is X to the split".

If CDOT removes all the LSD signs and replaces them with DuSable signs, then they have a newer, bigger issue.

Addressing changes for billing, fire, water and sewer would all have to change.

So I am guessing this will be an "overlay" name (honorary) where they will add a second special colored street sign on the poles.

JoePCool14

But yeah, no one's calling Lake Shore Drive anything other than Lake Shore Drive (or LSD). Also, I still call the Circle, the Circle.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SEWIGuy

I remember when the Calumet was renamed the Bishop Ford.  This was pre-internet outrage years, but people were not happy.  It stuck though.  And I know plenty of Chicago people who no longer refer to the "Sears Tower."

This really isn't a true name change since it still has Lakeshore Drive.

Scott5114

Why do those in the modern day trying to honor people by renaming streets after them insist on including the full name of the person in the name? If they had renamed the street to just plain "DuSable Drive" then it would actually be more likely to stick and actually lead to more recognition of the man and his accomplishments. As it is now people are going to ignore the lengthy addition to the name and just call it Lake Shore Drive.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 28, 2021, 03:51:01 PM
Why do those in the modern day trying to honor people by renaming streets after them insist on including the full name of the person in the name? If they had renamed the street to just plain "DuSable Drive" then it would actually be more likely to stick and actually lead to more recognition of the man and his accomplishments. As it is now people are going to ignore the lengthy addition to the name and just call it Lake Shore Drive.

That's a great point. Why do you think we have several streets just called Lincoln, Washington, or Adams, and not "Abraham Lincoln Rd" or "George Washington Street"? (Not that those don't exist)

My theory is that it started with Martin Luther King Jr. We couldn't just have King Drive, since we've had a few of those already and there wouldn't be anything to distinguish it from an English king or someone else with the last name of King. So they had to put the full name down, and ever since, people just pull the entire name otherwise it wouldn't be unique or noteworthy enough.

I absolutely agree though.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

bing101

Well it's all political at this point and who gets the Snowflake label in the political world. Sure I wish cooler heads prevail but we can't see that when the grandstanding is in progress. I know  there's the Reagan Freeway in the San Fernando Valley area but locals simply call that the CA-118 freeway or the Simi Valley case and point.

edwaleni

In some parts of Chicago, they still argue if it is Pulaski or Crawford.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: bing101 on June 28, 2021, 04:15:28 PM
Well it's all political at this point and who gets the Snowflake label in the political world. Sure I wish cooler heads prevail but we can't see that when the grandstanding is in progress. I know  there's the Reagan Freeway in the San Fernando Valley area but locals simply call that the CA-118 freeway or the Simi Valley case and point.

I don't think it has anything to do with current politics.  We have been re-naming streets, roads, bridges, airports, etc. after people for generations as a means to honor their contributions to society.

skluth

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 28, 2021, 05:11:44 PM
Quote from: bing101 on June 28, 2021, 04:15:28 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with current politics.  We have been re-naming streets, roads, bridges, airports, etc. after people for generations as a means to honor their contributions to society.

And people have been ignoring those new designations for almost as long. When I lived in St Louis, nobody called the Poplar St Bridge the Bernard Dickman Bridge. STL oldtimers still refer to Macy's as Famous-Barr and some still call Dillard's by some name that hasn't existed since the 80's (Stix-Fuller, I think). I think ignoring new names is even more common these days because stadiums and arenas get new names every few years.

tdindy88

I hope I'm not stepping on something in asking this, but what was wrong with the name Lake Shore Drive that necessitated a name change (or addition?) It doesn't seem as if Lake Shore Drive was an offensive name. Was there nothing else in the city that could be named for DuSable?

ilpt4u

Quote from: skluth on June 28, 2021, 07:01:30 PM
And people have been ignoring those new designations for almost as long. When I lived in St Louis, nobody called the Poplar St Bridge the Bernard Dickman Bridge. STL oldtimers still refer to Macy's as Famous-Barr and some still call Dillard's by some name that hasn't existed since the 80's (Stix-Fuller, I think). I think ignoring new names is even more common these days because stadiums and arenas get new names every few years.
People in the STL still call I-64 "Highway Farty"

Henry

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 26, 2021, 11:15:18 PM

Naming it for Hull would have missed the point of why people were advocating for this change.
As for me, I'd come up with Mike Ditka Drive because it passes the same stadium where he roamed the Bears' sideline for years (Soldier Field).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 28, 2021, 07:46:06 PM
How about Lake Shore Drive?

the large-print edition of this thread, for 48-year-olds
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Henry on June 28, 2021, 07:36:29 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 26, 2021, 11:15:18 PM

As for me, I'd come up with Mike Ditka Drive because it passes the same stadium where he roamed the Bears' sideline for years (Soldier Field).

Yeah but Mike Ditka's also an asshole. 

edwaleni

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 28, 2021, 07:10:39 PM
I hope I'm not stepping on something in asking this, but what was wrong with the name Lake Shore Drive that necessitated a name change (or addition?) It doesn't seem as if Lake Shore Drive was an offensive name. Was there nothing else in the city that could be named for DuSable?

There is already a park named after Mr DuSable. It resides just east of LSD on the north bank of the Chicago River. You can't reach it however as it is fenced in and is always "closed" because CDOT uses it as a continuously running staging zone for road construction equipment.

When the plot was so named is was just a grassy bluff with a few trees on it. Therefore no one cared.

That is why CDOT fences it in at their whim. No one cares.

Rick Powell

The Chicago area has a tradition of changing generic, non-offensive highway names into honorary names when the mood strikes.
Calumet Expressway > Bishop Ford Expressway
Circle Interchange > Jane Byrne Interchange
Congress Expressway > Eisenhower Expressway
Northwest Tollway > Jane Addams Tollway
East-West Tollway > Reagan Tollway
And Columbus Park is still Columbus Park, for now.

hobsini2

There's plenty that could have been named after Jean Baptiste DuSable.  We have a few numbered streets that have been renamed to honor people. 12th is Roosevelt Rd. 22nd is Cermak Rd. 39th is Pershing Rd. 55th is Garfield Blvd.  67th is Marquette Blvd. DuSable would have been perfect for 63rd St. 63rd is a main roadway and is not that far from the DuSable Museum.

The other one that I would rename in a hurry is Balbo Dr. The only reason he has a street named after him is because of his "flight" to Chicago from Rome in 1933.
http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/11184.html
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 28, 2021, 08:43:54 PM

"WHAT ABOUT DANKS?"
Locals who know the former Boers and Bernstein Show would get this.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: Rick Powell on June 29, 2021, 12:20:04 AM

The Chicago area has a tradition of changing generic, non-offensive highway names into honorary names when the mood strikes.
Calumet Expressway > Bishop Ford Expressway
Circle Interchange > Jane Byrne Interchange
Congress Expressway > Eisenhower Expressway
Northwest Tollway > Jane Addams Tollway
East-West Tollway > Reagan Tollway
And Columbus Park is still Columbus Park, for now.

You forgot the Stevenson was once called Southwest Expy.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 29, 2021, 07:36:45 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 28, 2021, 08:43:54 PM

"WHAT ABOUT DANKS?"
Locals who know the former Boers and Bernstein Show would get this.

At its peak, the best sports radio around.  Alas, none of it is very good right now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.