AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Transit Driver endangers passengers and other motorists.  (Read 17129 times)

Crash_It

• The Disgraced Lord Carhorn

• Last Login: February 03, 2023, 06:08:53 PM
Transit Driver endangers passengers and other motorists.
« on: July 11, 2021, 05:52:37 PM »

This was unacceptable behavior. I always have clashes with transit drivers over this issue but this was taken to a higher level.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
Re: Transit Driver endangers passengers and other motorists.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 06:38:37 PM »

Oh hey, the pot is calling the kettle black again.  Hopefully there was lots of dramatic car horn applied to these oh so dangerous situations.

SkyPesos

• I-80E to NYC, not Clarion, Dubois, Bloomsburg, etc

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:49:30 PM
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 07:17:19 PM »

Maybe if buses have their own lane (and signal priority, but that is rare in US cities) on busier streets/lines, that would sort of solve your "issues", and improve bus service too.

Crash_It

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 10:41:06 PM »

Maybe if buses have their own lane (and signal priority, but that is rare in US cities) on busier streets/lines, that would sort of solve your "issues", and improve bus service too.

They have this exact setup on parts of 79th, 87th Streets and on some downtown streets.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 11:22:42 PM »

Time to stop feeding the troll.  Don't watch his stuff and don't respond.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 12:42:57 AM »

What's the problem with him?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PM
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 02:37:52 AM »

Oh, no!

Anyway.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 02:43:39 AM »

Seems like he goes on a lot of rants.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 08:11:27 AM »

That’s intentional, he needs to sensationalize small issues to make them seem important so people are hooked into watching.  That’s what Rothman was getting at above, all this guy is here to do is stir the shit and get people to watch his channel. 

Flint1979

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:48:12 PM
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 09:27:53 AM »

This happened probably about 7-8 years ago. I was driving around the city of Detroit it was about 11:00pm or so. A bus driver hit a parked car on Warren Avenue on the east side of the city and kept going. I saw the whole thing happen and called 911 and started following the bus. I followed the bus from about Warren and E. Outer Drive where the accident happened all the way to Warren and Woodward where the cops finally caught up with him. The bus driver was drunk and was arrested.

The driver blew a .22 and a .23 on a breathalyzer test, .17 is considered super drunk in Michigan.

zachary_amaryllis

• Stop pouring stuff on my town.

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 04:29:23 PM
    • Blog of random weirdness
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 10:22:25 AM »

i'm with you. when i see the bus with turn signals on, he's not asking for permission... he's telling you he's changing..

plus it's just respect.. buses have schedules to keep, i may or may not be on a schedule at a given time (and probably not, at 11pm...) and frankly it really doesn't impede me that much to just let the bus in. i can move one lane to the left and go by him if i'm really in that big of a hurry. i would think that in urban areas, there's a certain expectation that buses will be stopping in the right lane anyway..
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 12:53:22 PM »

That’s intentional, he needs to sensationalize small issues to make them seem important so people are hooked into watching.  That’s what Rothman was getting at above, all this guy is here to do is stir the shit and get people to watch his channel. 
Exactly.  Has he posted in threads that weren't sharing his own videos even once?  Heck, this most recent one, I can't even figure out half the stuff he's even talking about with the bus.  It hadn't even begun to move out of its lane when he blares the horn (insert agentsteel53 quote here) and talking about how it "endangers passengers and other motorists".  The red light running could be an issue, but without knowing exactly where it is, I can't say for certain that there isn't a bus signal or something that doesn't show up on video.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flint1979

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 01:09:39 PM »

i'm with you. when i see the bus with turn signals on, he's not asking for permission... he's telling you he's changing..

plus it's just respect.. buses have schedules to keep, i may or may not be on a schedule at a given time (and probably not, at 11pm...) and frankly it really doesn't impede me that much to just let the bus in. i can move one lane to the left and go by him if i'm really in that big of a hurry. i would think that in urban areas, there's a certain expectation that buses will be stopping in the right lane anyway..
In my town the bus system has been altered quite a bit over the past 5-6 years. They use to have a route go into Green Acres Plaza which is a shopping plaza along STARS route 1 and they use to go in there. Well the bus was in the plaza it was difficult for the bus to travel through the plaza because of pedestrian and vehicle traffic. I remember one time I knew the bus schedule and knew that the bus was running late and was behind several cars in Green Acres Plaza where it had to turn around to head back downtown so I blocked all the traffic until the bus was able to make it's turn and get out of the plaza. If I hadn't done that the bus would have been running further behind and I knew who the driver was and she punched it going back downtown. They drive the way they do to stay on schedule they have a very strict schedule they go by.

I'm actually one of the people that helped redesign the bus system when it started back up after their COVID shutdown.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 01:32:09 PM »

The driver blew a .22 and a .23 on a breathalyzer test, .17 is considered super drunk in Michigan.
Would that be the legal/technical term?  I'm just imagining the police saying "sir, are you aware that under Michigan law, you are super drunk?".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 02:24:25 PM »

Those incidents range from acceptable to unacceptable.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 02:35:30 PM »

Would that be the legal/technical term?  I'm just imagining the police saying "sir, are you aware that under Michigan law, you are super drunk?".
Nah I don't think they'd say it they would already know when he blew over the limit and then arrest him.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 02:55:21 PM »

I couldn't imagine being a city bus driver.  Dealing with traffic on the outside that doesn't want to let you in, then dealing with the passengers on the inside.

The turn signal showing the bus was going to merge in was clearly flashing when Crash_It intentionally sped up.  Being that he edited it to show very minimal time here (yet, shows a LOT of time near the end before he makes his right), means that the bus probably had that signal flashing for a longer period of time, and Crash_It probably sped up more than shown, in order to recklessly attempt to impede a transit buses' movement.

Flint1979

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 03:59:31 PM »

I couldn't imagine being a city bus driver.  Dealing with traffic on the outside that doesn't want to let you in, then dealing with the passengers on the inside.

The turn signal showing the bus was going to merge in was clearly flashing when Crash_It intentionally sped up.  Being that he edited it to show very minimal time here (yet, shows a LOT of time near the end before he makes his right), means that the bus probably had that signal flashing for a longer period of time, and Crash_It probably sped up more than shown, in order to recklessly attempt to impede a transit buses' movement.
Yeah it's got to be an extremely stressful job for sure. As soon as I see a bus put their turn signal on I know they're not asking for permission to get over they're getting over.

kphoger

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2021, 04:25:20 PM »

I think it's quite the achievement whenever a public bus driver hits his or her million-mile mark.
Male pronouns, please.

If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 04:26:58 PM »

Now, having said that...  I once had a Pace bus driver who engaged in unsafe driving practices.  Some of them were only borderline illegal, but still.  This is why bus companies hire plain-clothes spot checkers to ride the bus, looking for erratic driver behavior.  I think such might be the reason that one driver didn't last long.
Male pronouns, please.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 04:29:00 PM »

Yeah it's got to be an extremely stressful job for sure. As soon as I see a bus put their turn signal on I know they're not asking for permission to get over they're getting over.

NJ enacted a law several years ago that gave buses the right of way when pulling in from stopping at a bus stop along the curb. 

https://www.njtransit.com/press-releases/new-law-require-motorists-yield

And NJ Transit buses have a Yield sticker on the back to serve as a reminder: https://images.app.goo.gl/bYPTrnwwRUeZxm6EA

To be clear, this only applies to buses after they pull away from a bus stop along the curb.  The law doesn't apply to buses driving down a road and would want to change lanes - they have to obey standard lane-changing laws.  But to your point, if a bus wants to change lanes, I usually have no issues doing so.  Those bus drivers generally will move pretty fast to get to their next stop.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »

Now, having said that...  I once had a Pace bus driver who engaged in unsafe driving practices.  Some of them were only borderline illegal, but still.  This is why bus companies hire plain-clothes spot checkers to ride the bus, looking for erratic driver behavior.  I think such might be the reason that one driver didn't last long.

Heh. You’re making me remember a University Transit Service bus driver in Charlottesville back in the early 1990s who was driving with her window open because she had on one of those hats with a little propeller on top and she wanted to make it spin. Let’s just say she was well over the 15-mph speed limit through Central Grounds.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Flint1979

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 05:25:47 PM »

NJ enacted a law several years ago that gave buses the right of way when pulling in from stopping at a bus stop along the curb. 

https://www.njtransit.com/press-releases/new-law-require-motorists-yield

And NJ Transit buses have a Yield sticker on the back to serve as a reminder: https://images.app.goo.gl/bYPTrnwwRUeZxm6EA

To be clear, this only applies to buses after they pull away from a bus stop along the curb.  The law doesn't apply to buses driving down a road and would want to change lanes - they have to obey standard lane-changing laws.  But to your point, if a bus wants to change lanes, I usually have no issues doing so.  Those bus drivers generally will move pretty fast to get to their next stop.
I know a bus driver on STARS which is the local transportation system around Saginaw that I can tell it's her driving a mile away. Her name is Jackie and we call her NASCAR Jackie for a reason. She gets up to the speed as quickly as any bus driver I've ever seen. There was about a year and a half period about 10 years ago where I didn't have a car so I took the bus around a lot and got to know the drivers.

I remember one time I was talking to one of the other bus drivers at Fashion Square Mall and another passenger was standing there talking to us. He just told us that he was waiting for route 6. When I saw how route 6 was coming into the mall I said you better hurry up she's not going to wait.

Crash_It

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 05:55:31 PM »

I did not intentionally speed up to block him. Anyone on the side of the road according to the laws I've posted have to yield to all passing traffic before reentering the road.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2021, 06:16:19 PM »

I did not intentionally speed up to block him. Anyone on the side of the road according to the laws I've posted have to yield to all passing traffic before reentering the road.

Says the guy who has a track record for seasoning mundane situations for dramatic effect and views.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.