News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rant: Why aren't Michigan lefts the standard on new arterial streets?

Started by kernals12, July 16, 2021, 12:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: kernals12 on July 16, 2021, 07:56:56 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2021, 07:52:48 PM
But it's still a factor.  It probably is a more difficult sell to plan an arterial road with a huge median versus one that follows a more conventional width.  That wide median means less room for development along the arterial highway.

I didn't think about that. Who needs enormous improvements in throughput and safety? Won't someone think of the strip malls and car dealerships!

If the road isn't a freeway to begin with, then I must assume access is actually important.  Access to what?  Homes and businesses.  Take away the space for said homes and businesses, and you're defeating the function the road serves to begin with.

Quote from: kernals12 on July 16, 2021, 07:49:54 PM
Notice how the title says new arterials.

Quote from: jakeroot on July 16, 2021, 08:22:38 PM
On top of that, they can get so aggressively wide and take so much land, they simply aren't practical in some areas. Land is so expensive in the Seattle region that building a Michigan Left corridor is basically out of the question. Too much land

So it costs more to construct, and it reduces the amount of room for revenue-generating businesses to be built.  Golly, why aren't these things everywhere?

Quote from: kernals12 on July 16, 2021, 07:54:48 PM

Quote from: renegade on July 16, 2021, 02:10:41 PM
Michigan Lefts are a pain ... trust me on this:  You don't want them everywhere.

Try experiencing life without them.

wut

I experience life without them every day.

Do new arterials really need the capacity offered by Michigan Lefts? Or is a five lane road with TWLTL sufficient?

An underappreciated point.  Michigan lefts add a layer of complexity for meager (or was it "massive"?) improvement to traffic flow.  The list of places where they're actually needed is smaller than "everywhere".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jamess

Lets see, they cost more to build, reduce tax-productive land, increase VMT, decrease bike and ped access.....for a few seconds of travel time savings for other drivers?

Seems like a bad deal.

Ned Weasel

Or is a five lane road with TWLTL sufficient?

I'd really rather move away from the undivided five-laner.  I realize Michigan Lefts take up huge amounts of space and make them infeasible in most places, but, as for the rest of the road design, I'd much rather see a raised median and with the only unprotected cross traffic being well spaced left turns from the arterial.  I'd rather see everything else be RIRO except at signalized intersections.

They are also miserable experiences for pedestrians. The lack of consistent four-way intersections creates long distances between "given" crossing points (those created by the simple intersection of two streets).

Simple intersections of two streets are not good pedestrian crossing points, though, if you're talking about non-signalized intersections involving an arterial road.  Sure, they often have legal crosswalks, usually unmarked, but it's no fun trying to cross 35-to-50-MPH traffic that isn't going to stop any time soon.

I really would like to see more left turn alternatives to allow two-phase traffic signals, as opposed to three or four phases, on expressways that have signalized intersections.  It's very pertinent to ask, what is the best way to handle left turn phases at signalized intersections on expressways and superstreet arterials?  I feel like a lot of departments of transportation don't spend a lot of time asking this question.  The main downfall to Michigan Lefts and jughandles, however, will generally be the amount of land they require.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Flint1979

Michigan lefts aren't that bad. I went through one yesterday at Rochester and Big Beaver in Troy and just had to wait for the light at Rochester as the one to turn right was green and the turn around was green when I got there. I was going for NB I-75 and the exit at Rochester is closed so I had to go up to the Big Beaver exit.

tradephoric

In 1924, the Rapid Transit Commission proposed the Super-Highway Plan for Greater Detroit which featured 204-foot "Super-Highways" which was enough space to fit 8-lanes of vehicular traffic and inter-urban rail running down the medians.  Then in 1967, decades after the first "Super-Highway" was built, the first Michigan left was installed at 8 Mile & Livernois.  But from the start the wide-medians were designed to move rail and not a design feature of the "Michigan Left".

hotdogPi

Jughandles don't have to take up much space. (Note that while it's a large intersection for the Northeast, only a small portion of it is a jughangle. You're looking for the "turn right to turn left" portion.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Flint1979

Quote from: tradephoric on July 23, 2021, 08:31:03 AM
In 1924, the Rapid Transit Commission proposed the Super-Highway Plan for Greater Detroit which featured 204-foot "Super-Highways" which was enough space to fit 8-lanes of vehicular traffic and inter-urban rail running down the medians.  Then in 1967, decades after the first "Super-Highway" was built, the first Michigan left was installed at 8 Mile & Livernois.  But from the start the wide-medians were designed to move rail and not a design feature of the "Michigan Left".

You have the right intersection for the first one but it was in the early 60's that this one was built.

tradephoric

The wide streets of Detroit extended into the city center too.  It all harkens back to the Governor and Judge's plan for Detroit introduced by Augustus Woodward in 1807 after a fire in 1805 burned the city to the ground.  The N/S streets were designed at a whopping 200 feet wide with the radial avenues at 120 feet wide.  This is the result of the plan:

jakeroot

Quote from: stridentweasel on July 23, 2021, 06:49:46 AM

I'd really rather move away from the undivided five-laner.  I realize Michigan Lefts take up huge amounts of space and make them infeasible in most places, but, as for the rest of the road design, I'd much rather see a raised median and with the only unprotected cross traffic being well spaced left turns from the arterial.  I'd rather see everything else be RIRO except at signalized intersections.

I'm fine with that design too. My point wasn't to say that five-lane undivided roads were inherently superior to all other designs, just that it works just as well as Michigan Left corridors under most circumstances. They can be a little sketchy sometimes, but overall are not immediately dangerous and are much more compact and thus significantly cheaper.

Corridors with constant medians and occasional left turn pockets are fine, but they introduce additional issues: drivers have to go further to do simple maneuvers; U-turns are now a required feature, so hopefully the road is wide enough to do that without bulb-out points; U-turns at every intersection also eliminate the possibility for right-turn green arrows, which reduces capacity; worst of all, they reduce crossing points for pedestrians down to just major intersections, where they are likely to interact with other vehicular traffic as well (this can be mitigated with mid-block crossings, but these don't seem to be as common as they should be). That also relates to your second point...

They are also miserable experiences for pedestrians. The lack of consistent four-way intersections creates long distances between "given" crossing points (those created by the simple intersection of two streets).

Simple intersections of two streets are not good pedestrian crossing points, though, if you're talking about non-signalized intersections involving an arterial road.  Sure, they often have legal crosswalks, usually unmarked, but it's no fun trying to cross 35-to-50-MPH traffic that isn't going to stop any time soon.

Simple intersections are not perfect, but they at least provide a crossing point for regular, if not agile pedestrians. Michigan Left and RCUT/J-Turn corridors basically force everyone down to the just the major intersections, making walk times much, much longer than skipping across the road at this or that intersection. You can run across the median and hop over whatever may be in the way, but that's not exactly a feature. At least busy non-signalized intersections can have part-time signals or crosswalks painted if they become major crossings over time. No such option along median corridors without comparatively expensive construction.

I really would like to see more left turn alternatives to allow two-phase traffic signals, as opposed to three or four phases, on expressways that have signalized intersections.  It's very pertinent to ask, what is the best way to handle left turn phases at signalized intersections on expressways and superstreet arterials?  I feel like a lot of departments of transportation don't spend a lot of time asking this question.  The main downfall to Michigan Lefts and jughandles, however, will generally be the amount of land they require.

I think it's quite likely that "alternative" options do come up, but they are very quickly eliminated for exactly the reasons you mention. Practically speaking, jughandles and Michigan Left corridors require a lot of land. As previously mentioned by myself, they just aren't practical as a feature for an upgraded urban or even suburban roadway unless land is cheap and there is little in the way of existing structures. Otherwise, the best you can do, realistically, is adding left turn capacity.

One option not considered enough is reducing phases without adding something else to replace it. If you need additional left turn capacity for this approach, maybe reduce the capacity for another approach to make up for it. This was done westbound along BC-97 in Kelowna, at the left turn onto Pandosy: the city added advanced lefts to a few intersections, but had to remove the advanced left (original design) to make up for the additional green time needed elsewhere. Is this ideal compared to total reconstruction of BC-97 to keep that advanced left? I would argue: yes. Total reconstruction is insanely expensive and intrusive. If you really need that much extra capacity, consider a bypass or new corridor instead. In my humble opinion.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: 1 on July 23, 2021, 08:34:35 AM
Jughandles don't have to take up much space. (Note that while it's a large intersection for the Northeast, only a small portion of it is a jughangle. You're looking for the "turn right to turn left" portion.)

That's about on par with the ones in Spain, which is fine if they're only used to make U-turns.  But if you're using them to connect to a cross-street, you probably want them farther from the main intersection.

Quote from: jakeroot on July 23, 2021, 02:13:07 PM
U-turns at every intersection also eliminate the possibility for right-turn green arrows

I beg your pardon!  https://goo.gl/maps/2Rqzts3Mi96kcTiT6 , https://goo.gl/maps/Ae18hxRUwHwYKGvR7 , https://goo.gl/maps/iaXCscQnstRkuaEYA .  Frankly, though, I prefer FYAs for that purpose, as are now used at this intersection (Street View needs to catch up here): https://goo.gl/maps/dP6beDoG9afRZMSr6

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Flint1979

Quote from: tradephoric on July 23, 2021, 12:19:43 PM
The wide streets of Detroit extended into the city center too.  It all harkens back to the Governor and Judge's plan for Detroit introduced by Augustus Woodward in 1807 after a fire in 1805 burned the city to the ground.  The N/S streets were designed at a whopping 200 feet wide with the radial avenues at 120 feet wide.  This is the result of the plan:

Detroit is a very old city and up until about 100 or so years ago only extended out to Grand Blvd. and then to 8 Mile in the 1920's. It was modeled after Washington, DC which had just been planned not too long prior. Downtown can be somewhat tricky to navigate if you don't know where you're going due to the street system. And it's been altered in places as well.

jakeroot

Quote from: stridentweasel on July 23, 2021, 09:03:40 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 23, 2021, 02:13:07 PM
U-turns at every intersection also eliminate the possibility for right-turn green arrows

I beg your pardon!  https://goo.gl/maps/2Rqzts3Mi96kcTiT6 , https://goo.gl/maps/Ae18hxRUwHwYKGvR7 , https://goo.gl/maps/iaXCscQnstRkuaEYA .  Frankly, though, I prefer FYAs for that purpose, as are now used at this intersection (Street View needs to catch up here): https://goo.gl/maps/dP6beDoG9afRZMSr6

But we both know that such setups are inadvisable along corridors where there is an expectation of frequent U-turns. Tucson got around this for years using a right-facing FYA that was active during the overlapping left turn green arrow, but I don't know if they still install them.

I think Metro Vancouver does it right. Medians are very common here along arterial corridors, but they don't go for hundreds of meters between gaps in the median (King George Blvd in Surrey is a decent example). This is perfect: (1) it doesn't intentionally create lots of need for U-turns (which can become problematic at intersections), (2) it maintains a somewhat-regular interval of crossing points for pedestrians, and (3) somewhat eliminates the free-for-all of two-way turn lanes (though waiting in median gaps to merge is pretty common). Additionally, (4) add-lane-style slip lanes are used at busy intersections, allowing right turns and U-turns to occur simultaneously (example).

What I like about these setups is that they are easily implemented along existing totally-flush corridors but still exhibit some upsides of the Michigan Left-style corridors. You still have some driveways and some streets that require right-in/right-out, but not so many that you need to consciously design every major intersection with the intent to provide U-turns, resulting in an over-abundance of jughandles or bulb-outs which require massive ROW acquisition and can easily skyrocket the cost of a project.

Ned Weasel

I'm not sure, but I'm starting to think maybe complex intersections for the sake of reducing signal phases really are sometimes more trouble than they're worth.  Most of them require some kind of regulatory control other than a traffic signal, usually a left turn prohibition, and you kind of just have to trust that most people will obey that.  I started changing my mind about this after I started driving through a continuous-flow intersection on a regular basis, and noticing that people really do screw up navigating it in almost every way imaginable.

This honestly makes me wonder how many Michigan Left and/or Jughandle intersections might be better off with a plain old left turn lane and a protected-permissive left turn signal.  My other concern, though, is there still needs to be a good way to facilitate U-turns.  Often, when you're trying to make a left turn from a business, driveway, or minor side street, onto a major arterial, it's so much easier to turn right and take the next U-turn than it is to try to turn left across two directions and several lanes of traffic.  And I still can't say I've seen most places do as good of a job facilitating U-turns as New Jersey and Michigan often do on their arterial highways/major arterials.

ET21

Quote from: kernals12 on July 16, 2021, 12:29:35 PM
Left turns are the bane of traffic engineers, ruining the otherwise perfect signal precession that could guarantee drivers green lights.

But in the 60s, Michigan solved that problem by incorporating u turns into the medians of divided highways to all for left turn movements while prohibiting them from the main intersection

Studies have shown they result in enormous improvements in safety and traffic flow. Because they also require the use of a wide median, they offer space for landscaping and stormwater drainage.

Imagine if this had become the standard design for new arterial streets all over the country, and perhaps the world. Think of all the time, money, and lives saved.

Why the f*ck aren't these everywhere?
Michigan Lefts are a pain ... trust me on this:  You don't want them everywhere.

I do, life goes on without them just fine
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

tradephoric

After 20 minutes cruising down Woodward Avenue you are about 6 miles ahead of the guy cruising down US 192 in Kissimmee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBIR0z5U82M

formulanone

Quote from: tradephoric on August 18, 2021, 12:38:23 AM
After 20 minutes cruising down Woodward Avenue you are about 6 miles ahead of the guy cruising down US 192 in Kissimmee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBIR0z5U82M

US 192 is an orange-picked example; loads of wide intersections, lots more tourist traffic, ginormous distractions, and no timing of lights (something Michigan does well at).

Kissimmee is the worst type of example because it excels at...cheap T-shirt shops and lots of timeshares. Pretty sure putting in a bunch of Michigan Lefts there would just create more uncontrolled U-turns into what appears to be much more traffic for which traffic light timing is an afterthought.

tradephoric

In regards to Florida, they originally had plans to build a Median U-turn at Rinehart Rd & Co Rd 46A as part of the I-4 "Beyond the Ultimate" project.  It sounds like that project is getting scaled back/delayed so we will see if they actually build it or not.  Here was an aerial rendering of the intersection they had originally planned:

Also, it looks like Pinellas County leaders are considering a Median U-turn at Gulf to Bay Boulevard and Belcher Road.  They were receiving public input on the plan back in September of last year.  Here is a rendering to that project:

County to take traffic solution for Gulf to Bay intersection on test drive
https://www.tbnweekly.com/clearwater_beacon/article_b73b2996-f84f-11ea-875c-cb2ab038a18b.html

tradephoric

Found a youtube video that includes a model of the Gulf to Bay Boulevard Median U-turn that is being considered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ6vTAhPPPM

mrsman

Quote from: Ned Weasel on July 23, 2021, 06:49:46 AM

I think the point Ned Weasel is making is very sound.  I regularly drive on a suburban arterial between home and my son's school.  This is a divided arterial with three lanes in each direction, so it's busy and traffic moves fast.  (Speed limit is now 35, but used to be 40 and one can comfortably go 50 here.)  While there are some signals on the corridor, most of the corridor intersects with smaller streets at T-intersections, where the smaller street is facing a stop sign.  It is certainly fine to have a left turn lane and median breaks on this corridor to allow folks on the main street to turn left onto the small streets.  But it is awful when folks on the small street try to make a left onto the arterial without the assistance of a signal.  There is often never a gap big enough in both directions of traffic to make this turn safely!  I'm constantly dodging folks who are making these lefts and at times either blocking the left lane while waiting for a gap in opposite traffic or coming in with very little gap room making me take evasive maneuvers.  This is really a street where side street traffic should not be forced to make a right and then a u-turn at the next opening, it would be better for everyone.

It should be said, although it's probably apparent to those on this thread, but traffic making a left or a u-turn on the main street without a signal only need to find a gap in one direction of traffic (opposing traffic).  Traffic making a left from the side street need a gap with all cross traffic in the closer direction and at least the left lane in the other direction of cross traffic.  As the signals are not timed very well here, there is a very small time when you have such a gap in both directions of the arterial traffic.  IMO, side street lefts need to be prohibited at non-signalized intersections on such a corridor like this.

And if we take Ned Weasel's idea to a hypothetical rural 4-lane road, you don't really need Michigan lefts at all.  The small amount of traffic that wants side street lefts will simply make a regular u-turn at the next opportunity.  No special road design necessary, unless the roadway has large truck traffic.

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on January 16, 2022, 04:47:09 PM
I think the point Ned Weasel is making is very sound.  I regularly drive on a suburban arterial between home and my son's school.  This is a divided arterial with three lanes in each direction, so it's busy and traffic moves fast.  (Speed limit is now 35, but used to be 40 and one can comfortably go 50 here.)  While there are some signals on the corridor, most of the corridor intersects with smaller streets at T-intersections, where the smaller street is facing a stop sign.  It is certainly fine to have a left turn lane and median breaks on this corridor to allow folks on the main street to turn left onto the small streets.  But it is awful when folks on the small street try to make a left onto the arterial without the assistance of a signal.  There is often never a gap big enough in both directions of traffic to make this turn safely!  I'm constantly dodging folks who are making these lefts and at times either blocking the left lane while waiting for a gap in opposite traffic or coming in with very little gap room making me take evasive maneuvers.  This is really a street where side street traffic should not be forced to make a right and then a u-turn at the next opening, it would be better for everyone.

It should be said, although it's probably apparent to those on this thread, but traffic making a left or a u-turn on the main street without a signal only need to find a gap in one direction of traffic (opposing traffic).  Traffic making a left from the side street need a gap with all cross traffic in the closer direction and at least the left lane in the other direction of cross traffic.  As the signals are not timed very well here, there is a very small time when you have such a gap in both directions of the arterial traffic.  IMO, side street lefts need to be prohibited at non-signalized intersections on such a corridor like this.

And if we take Ned Weasel's idea to a hypothetical rural 4-lane road, you don't really need Michigan lefts at all.  The small amount of traffic that wants side street lefts will simply make a regular u-turn at the next opportunity.  No special road design necessary, unless the roadway has large truck traffic.

I have three issues with raised median corridors, although I will admit they are relatively minor.

One, they require fairly significant ROW acquisition at key points along the corridor. Regular non-raised-median corridors do not require the construction of dedicated U-turn points; although three-lane-each-direction raised-median corridors may not require addition widening for U-turns, it may be required at any points where semi trucks are expected to do U-turns. Raised median corridors without three lanes in each direction will logically require widening at the U-turn points, which may be expensive.

Two, they tend to congregate traffic. While the overall corridor may have fewer conflict points as a result of the "untying" of certain junctions, it does make the primary intersections busier and also makes them even more complicated. Consider many of the arterial roads in Orange County, California, where every major intersection will have double left turns and permitted U-turns; the U-turns may not have been required (i.e. "no U-turn" signs could have been installed) along a two-way left turn lane corridor, and steady right green "filter" arrows could be used during the perpendicular left turn phase (they cannot be at junctions with permitted U-turns, or at least shouldn't be).

Three, raised median corridors ultimately require someone to cross (or use) every lane of traffic to make a left turn: traffic first turns right, either into the right lane and then changing lanes, or directly into the far lane; second, they enter the left turn/U-turn lane; third, they perform the U-turn, which requires the clearance of every oncoming lane (generally). Corridors without raised medians only require the clearance of traffic to the left and center turn lane, as you can enter the center turn lane and then merge into the inside lane of the other direction. This issue is certainly geographic; I recognize some states do ban this maneuver. In Washington, it is fully legislated and legal (RCW 46.61.290), and you can drive in the center turn lane for up to 300 feet to merge. Traffic here is well-trained in doing this, even (ironically) to the extent of using oncoming lanes of traffic (i.e. not a center turn lane) to merge.

I would be willing to overlook the first two issues if the third issue didn't exist. For example, if I lived in a state where I wasn't also allowed to turn into the center turn lane (as opposed to just from it, to turn off the main road), I would find turning left onto busy roads to be extremely frustrating and may not even try (instead turning right and doing my own U-turn). In addition to that, corridors without any center lane (except major intersections) may also benefit from roundabouts, which may not require any interim widening, although my first issue above does become dramatically more pronounced along these kinds of corridors.

Terry Shea

Quote from: kernals12 on July 16, 2021, 12:29:35 PM
Left turns are the bane of traffic engineers, ruining the otherwise perfect signal precession that could guarantee drivers green lights.

But in the 60s, Michigan solved that problem by incorporating u turns into the medians of divided highways to all for left turn movements while prohibiting them from the main intersection

Studies have shown they result in enormous improvements in safety and traffic flow. Because they also require the use of a wide median, they offer space for landscaping and stormwater drainage.

Imagine if this had become the standard design for new arterial streets all over the country, and perhaps the world. Think of all the time, money, and lives saved.

Why the f*ck aren't these everywhere?
I'd love to!

Terry Shea

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 16, 2021, 10:17:06 PM
Quote from: thspfc on July 16, 2021, 01:48:44 PM
The fact that they require a larger median is a negative, not a positive.

MO 141 in Fenton doesn't have a wide median for its Michigan left.

Nor do the medians appear wide for the one in Fishers, IN
These are silly.  They still require a signalized left turn, add more signals into a busy, congested area and require a lot of area to the right of the right lane for trucks to make the turn.  Then when in the turnaround area they're going to have to deal with a big blind spot getting back into the traffic lane.

HighwayStar

Problems with Michigan Lefts

• Require turning right to go left, which is confusing for drivers because random intersections require you to approach in the right lane to go left
  • Require weaving right after turning in order to get in the left lane to perform the U turn
  • Require a U turn (without protection) as part of the operation
  • Consume land in areas that it may be expensive or hard to acquire

The one area I will grant the Michigan left as a superior design is some rural freeway intersections, in that case land is usually available, one road can maintain full traffic flow at highway speed, and the other road traffic can go right in all cases (which is usually safer as only one set of lanes is involved) then wait in a separate area for a U Turn. For roads that are a T junction no cross traffic at all is needed which is a plus.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Flint1979

Quote from: HighwayStar on January 24, 2022, 07:48:57 PM

• Require turning right to go left, which is confusing for drivers because random intersections require you to approach in the right lane to go left
  • Require weaving right after turning in order to get in the left lane to perform the U turn

The one area I will grant the Michigan left as a superior design is some rural freeway intersections, in that case land is usually available, one road can maintain full traffic flow at highway speed, and the other road traffic can go right in all cases (which is usually safer as only one set of lanes is involved) then wait in a separate area for a U Turn. For roads that are a T junction no cross traffic at all is needed which is a plus.
I don't see where any of this is a problem. Turning right, going up to the U-turn and turning around to make a left turn is a heck of a lot easier than you are making it out to be. There is a traffic light at the U-turn most of the time for one thing and another it doesn't confuse anyone. What do you mean U-turn without protection?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 25, 2022, 01:48:07 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on January 24, 2022, 07:48:57 PM

I don't see where any of this is a problem. Turning right, going up to the U-turn and turning around to make a left turn is a heck of a lot easier than you are making it out to be. There is a traffic light at the U-turn most of the time for one thing and another it doesn't confuse anyone. What do you mean U-turn without protection?

Is it a "problem?"  No, but it's just a pain the butt.  I understand why under certain circumstances, like HighwayStar's "rural freeway intersections," they make sense.  But otherwise I would much rather just turn left to go left than turn right, switch lanes, and make a U-turn to go left.

Or better yet, I would rather go straight than turn right, switch lanes, make a U-turn, and then turn right to go straight.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.