Regional Boards > Canada

Canada to reopen borders to nonessential travel- first to Americans

<< < (51/66) > >>

jakeroot:
I was in BC again with my girlfriend from Sunday to Tuesday. I was surprised by the uptick in mask-wearing. When I was last up in August, it was about 50/50 at a lot of places.

Since vaccine proof is required at virtually every restaurant and private entity (shopping centers notwithstanding), I showed my scanned vaccine card quite a bit. People weren't too impressed with the lack of any application on the part of the US government. One host straight-up said, "the BC app is a lot better" (to which I assume he means way clearer than my complete lack of an app.)

andrepoiy:
Apparently I'd need a covid test to get back into Canada even after the border reopens... That kinda sucks because a travel covid test costs about $150 so it's kind of not worth it.

oscar:

--- Quote from: jakeroot on October 15, 2021, 10:27:03 PM ---People weren't too impressed with the lack of any application on the part of the US government. One host straight-up said, "the BC app is a lot better" (to which I assume he means way clearer than my complete lack of an app.)
--- End quote ---

You could've told them that only a few U.S. states have "vaccine passport" apps -- about as many states that forbid them. (No national app on either side of the border -- it's up to the provinces in Canada, and the states in the U.S.)

One of the provinces I visited earlier this month, Quebec, has rolled out a vaccine passport app (the other, Ontario, was still working on it when I was there). However, the Quebec app is available only to Quebec residents, maybe it's tied to a provincial database with vax information. Non-residents can just present paper proof of vaccination, along with proof of non-residency. I don't know if Quebec makes similar accommodations for residents without smartphones.

jayhawkco:

--- Quote from: oscar on October 17, 2021, 06:47:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: jakeroot on October 15, 2021, 10:27:03 PM ---People weren't too impressed with the lack of any application on the part of the US government. One host straight-up said, "the BC app is a lot better" (to which I assume he means way clearer than my complete lack of an app.)
--- End quote ---

You could've told them that only a few U.S. states have "vaccine passport" apps -- about as many states that forbid them. (No national app on either side of the border -- it's up to the provinces in Canada, and the states in the U.S.)

One of the provinces I visited earlier this month, Quebec, has rolled out a vaccine passport app (the other, Ontario, was still working on it when I was there). However, the Quebec app is available only to Quebec residents, maybe it's tied to a provincial database with vax information. Non-residents can just present paper proof of vaccination, along with proof of non-residency. I don't know if Quebec makes similar accommodations for residents without smartphones.

--- End quote ---

Similar story for PEI.  Only PEI residents can use their app so I just had to show my card everywhere I went.

Chris

kalvado:

--- Quote from: jayhawkco on October 17, 2021, 06:51:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: oscar on October 17, 2021, 06:47:44 PM ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Similar story for PEI.  Only PEI residents can use their app so I just had to show my card everywhere I went.

Chris

--- End quote ---
An idea behind those apps that encrypted QR code doesn't require database access to be shared, only encryption key should be confirmed. In principle, all such keys could be shared between jurisdictions without too much concern, and apps could be cross-recognized. I believe Europe is actually doing that. Someone may try scanning NY app in QC and see what happens

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version