Regional Boards > Canada

Canada to reopen borders to nonessential travel- first to Americans

<< < (2/53) > >>

Roadgeekteen:
The negative test requirement is stupid. Even stupider that it can't be a rapid test (but I do agree with the vaccine requirement). It's a good first step at least and WAY overdue.

ozarkman417:

--- Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 19, 2021, 10:09:59 PM ---The negative test requirement is stupid. Even stupider that it can't be a rapid test (but I do agree with the vaccine requirement). It's a good first step at least and WAY overdue.

--- End quote ---
I agree that border re-openings are, generally speaking, overdue. Countries across the world have opened, or are soon to open to Americans, but we aren't returning the favor. Yet, Canada is making this move as the Delta variant is ravaging parts of the US (namely Southwest Missouri, which has received plenty of national media attention as a result). The reason we chose Washington specifically is that my brother was to meet up with a friend from Europe. Unfortunately, he will not be able to enter the United States or Canada.

I will need to do some research to locate a place I can get an accepted type of COVID test near Seattle or Port Angeles, and somehow make it work with the plans of the rest of my trip. Quite a hassle for an overnight venture to Victoria.

Roadgeekteen:

--- Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 19, 2021, 10:39:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 19, 2021, 10:09:59 PM ---The negative test requirement is stupid. Even stupider that it can't be a rapid test (but I do agree with the vaccine requirement). It's a good first step at least and WAY overdue.

--- End quote ---
I agree that border re-openings are, generally speaking, overdue. Countries across the world have opened, or are soon to open to Americans, but we aren't returning the favor. Yet, Canada is making this move as the Delta variant is ravaging parts of the US (namely Southwest Missouri, which has received plenty of national media attention as a result). The reason we chose Washington specifically is that my brother was to meet up with a friend from Europe. Unfortunately, he will not be able to enter the United States or Canada.

I will need to do some research to locate a place I can get an accepted type of COVID test near Seattle or Port Angeles, and somehow make it work with the plans of the rest of my trip. Quite a hassle for an overnight venture to Victoria.

--- End quote ---
Hopefully the US follows suit.

US 41:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 19, 2021, 09:50:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: vdeane on July 19, 2021, 09:40:43 PM ---And while the blanket quarantine requirements are gone for fully vaccinated travelers, a border officer can require one at their discretion.  Between that and the PCR test (not rapid test) requirement, we're still not quite at the level where just hopping over for a daytrip is really practical, if such ever will be again.  After 9/11, though the border thinned from the thickest it was immediately after the attacks, it never got even close to pre-9/11 conditions, and I fear such could happen again.  Just as Americans feared terrorists transiting through the north (whether such is rational or not - let's please keep this thread open by keeping the politics out), Canadians now fear the virus could come from the south (same note as previous).

--- End quote ---

Politics aside, the arrogant attitude a lot of Canadians have towards American tourists in general (which has worsened since COVID) has really left a sour taste in my mouth.  Iím sure lots of people from the northern border states will end up flocking back in droves but I canít see myself visiting for a couple years.  Lots of other countries were way more inviting than Canada pre-COVID (or at least I found myself more welcome) and I can think of a pretty lengthy list of places I rather go first.

--- End quote ---

I pretty much agree with this post. The Mexican border has been open for quite a while and you don't have to jump though a bunch of hoops to go either. I think I'll visit and spend my money in places that actually want it. Even though Canada is technically reopening the border it seems pretty clear that they really don't really want people coming. They wouldn't even be doing it at all if it wasn't for the border areas pushing for it so hard. Like I can't imagine how much money Niagara Falls, Ontario has lost.

I'm not sure what the US is going to do, but I'd impose the same restrictions on their people that they're imposing on ours. Seems fair to me.

oscar:

--- Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 19, 2021, 10:39:03 PM ---I will need to do some research to locate a place I can get an accepted type of COVID test near Seattle or Port Angeles, and somehow make it work with the plans of the rest of my trip. Quite a hassle for an overnight venture to Victoria.

--- End quote ---

Even a hassle for longer trips, too. The worrisome feature is that even with an acceptable negative test result, a border agent can still require you to have and potentially use a quarantine plan. That could easily screw up a multi-stop itinerary with overnight stays, like the one I usually have on my trips to Canada.

I definitely want to go at some point, but not immediately, since my summer is pretty much booked up. Maybe by late September/early October, when we should have more clarity on some of these issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version