News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Canada to reopen borders to nonessential travel- first to Americans

Started by ozarkman417, July 19, 2021, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: stevashe on August 13, 2021, 04:55:17 PM
Quote from: on_wisconsin on August 12, 2021, 07:37:19 AM
Quote from: ghYHZ on August 12, 2021, 07:17:41 AM
It's the 'random' testing you might have to do once you arrive......and if you test positive you will be sent into quarantine and have to be able to show you have a plan for this. You've now entered Canada, had contacts here and won't just be sent back to the US.

Stupid Question: So even if you are honest on everything but randomly test positive one can essentially be detained for 14 days by Health Canada/ CBSA, instead of being allowed immediate reentry to the US?

I suppose they could do that, but if you read the Canadian Government's website, it says you are allowed to exit quarantine to leave Canada.

But you have to use your own vehicle to leave voluntarily. You can't take a plane or other public transportation back to the U.S. In the story told by Kalvado in reply #154 above, the engineer ordered into quarantine had flown into Canada, and could fly back into the U.S. only under a deportation order, something that would at least complicate any return to Canada.

One other thing: if you are ordered into quarantine in Canada due to a positive test result (rather than just a Canadian border agent deciding for other reasons that you didn't qualify for a quarantine exemption), even if you can voluntarily exit Canadian quarantine, might a U.S. border agent make you immediately quarantine in the U.S.?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ghYHZ

Quote from: oscar on August 13, 2021, 04:22:30 PM
There are more manageable travel restrictions......... Maritime Provinces (New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland/Labrador)

Maritime Provinces: New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.

Atlantic Provinces: New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland/Labrador

Dougtone

Quote from: oscar on August 13, 2021, 04:22:30 PM
Some Canadian provinces and territories have travel restrictions in addition to the border crossing rules established by Canada's federal government. Here is a handy guide to the restrictions still in place for travel within Canada.

The unwelcome mat is still out for leisure or other non-essential travel, including for Canadian travelers, to Nunavut, the Northwest Territories, and far northern Quebec (including the James Bay Road/Route Billy-Diamond Highway). There are more manageable travel restrictions for Manitoba and the Maritime Provinces (New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland/Labrador), which you should check if you want to go there. Otherwise, getting across the U.S./Canada border will be the hard part.

I looked into this further, since I am planning to take a long-postponed trip to the Maritimes next year (specifically New Brunswick and Nova Scotia). It appears that New Brunswick has dropped their travel registration program (I believe this was after the Government of Canada page was last updated on 7/29/21).  Nova Scotia has a travel registration program called the Safe Check-In Form that needs to be filled out prior to visiting Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island has something similar called PEI Pass. Prince Edward Island's PEI Pass page states that they expect the PEI Pass program to continue until the state of emergency has ended, which they anticipate to be sometime in the middle of September.

I am not anticipating visiting Canada this year due to other travel plans that I wound up making instead, but I am itching to get back up to Canada.

zzcarp

Quote from: stevashe on August 11, 2021, 12:26:52 AM
Quote from: zzcarp on August 11, 2021, 12:09:21 AM
I'll pass on anything interesting my dad experiences when crossing tomorrow.

I'll be heading that way on August 21.

I'd be interested to know if they actually ask about the quarantine plan of if it's basically a non-issue.

My dad's experience was they didn't ask about the quarantine plan. The border guard did look at the negative test receipt and vaccine card along with the regular passport requirement.
So many miles and so many roads

on_wisconsin

Quote from: oscar on August 13, 2021, 06:15:37 PMOne other thing: if you are ordered into quarantine in Canada due to a positive test result (rather than just a Canadian border agent deciding for other reasons that you didn't qualify for a quarantine exemption), even if you can voluntarily exit Canadian quarantine, might a U.S. border agent make you immediately quarantine in the U.S.?

One could imagine, provided the individual is a legal US resident, it may bring up a whole host of issues, constitutionality, possible Miranda stuff, etc. (Again IANAL tho...)
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

jakeroot

Quote from: on_wisconsin on August 14, 2021, 07:16:07 AM
(Again IANAL tho...)

ack, there's that acronym again. Never saw it until the last week, now I've seen it twice (well, three times). 🤮

KEK Inc.

Quote from: zzcarp on August 14, 2021, 02:41:56 AM

I'd be interested to know if they actually ask about the quarantine plan of if it's basically a non-issue.

My dad's experience was they didn't ask about the quarantine plan. The border guard did look at the negative test receipt and vaccine card along with the regular passport requirement.
Mine was the same experience.  Agent didn't ask about quarantine plan.  Did he fill out the ArriveCAN app? 

Curious because I did, and I'm wondering if the agent just sees what I put on the app when they scan my passport.

iPhone
Take the road less traveled.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 14, 2021, 12:31:48 PM
Quote from: zzcarp on August 14, 2021, 02:41:56 AM

Mine was the same experience.  Agent didn't ask about quarantine plan.  Did he fill out the ArriveCAN app? 

Curious because I did, and I'm wondering if the agent just sees what I put on the app when they scan my passport.

iPhone

Yes, that's how ArriveCan works

jakeroot

Got my negative results in today. I have a hotel stay already planned for the night of 15 August, so the quarantine plan is no issue. Planning to pass through the border around 9am tomorrow.

The application asked for both (a) crossing location, and (b) crossing time. Does anyone know how solid these have to be?

KEK Inc.

Quote from: jakeroot on August 14, 2021, 01:45:17 PM
Got my negative results in today. I have a hotel stay already planned for the night of 15 August, so the quarantine plan is no issue. Planning to pass through the border around 9am tomorrow.

The application asked for both (a) crossing location, and (b) crossing time. Does anyone know how solid these have to be?
I was pretty accurate on mine.  We just went through peace arch.  I figured sumas and the truck entry would have stricter agents.

I'm sure timing is lenient m.

iPhone
Take the road less traveled.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: jakeroot on August 14, 2021, 01:45:17 PM

Not that solid - just pick the right location, and some time the day you're crossing.

I disagree with KEK - my experiences with Sumas/Huntingdon have been much smoother than with Peace Arch all throughout the campaign. Mainly because most tourists/day trippers don't have much reason to go to Abbotsford. If I were to guess, Lynden/Aldergrove would be the smoothest of all.

jakeroot

I was going to aim for Aldergrove but since the hotel is downton on Howe St, I wasn't necessarily looking to detour all the way east out there.

I have submitted my ArriveCAN application, all is approved. I suspect it may be too late to change from Douglas to Aldergrove.

vdeane

It would seem that when Canada opened up the land border, they also opened the water border back up as well:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html#s07
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: on_wisconsin on August 14, 2021, 07:16:07 AM
Quote from: oscar on August 13, 2021, 06:15:37 PMOne other thing: if you are ordered into quarantine in Canada due to a positive test result (rather than just a Canadian border agent deciding for other reasons that you didn't qualify for a quarantine exemption), even if you can voluntarily exit Canadian quarantine, might a U.S. border agent make you immediately quarantine in the U.S.?

One could imagine, provided the individual is a legal US resident, it may bring up a whole host of issues, constitutionality, possible Miranda stuff, etc. (Again IANAL tho...)

While I am a retired lawyer, I'm not going to venture into such issues (for among other reasons, well outside my former legal specialty). But the border agent might bypass some of those issues, with a phone call to a Federal, state, or local public health official who would have authority to put you in quarantine.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

stevashe

Quote from: vdeane on August 14, 2021, 11:19:53 PM
It would seem that when Canada opened up the land border, they also opened the water border back up as well:

Yeah, they did. Maritime entry is one of the options on the first page of the ArriveCAN app. The others being arrival by land and air, of course.

Bruce

Sadly even with the maritime border reopened, the Sidney run from Anacortes will remain suspended until next year.

https://www.vicnews.com/news/sidney-to-anacortes-ferry-suspended-until-fall-2021/

ghYHZ

Although other International Travel  with Canada won't reopen until September....this Border did along with the US last week: the 'France-Canada' Border between St- Pierre and Newfoundland and the first scheduled arrival of the new vehicle ferry. Previously this was a pedestrian only ferry and had been suspended for 17 months.

https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/saintpierremiquelon/transport-maritime-des-retrouvailles-attendues-entre-saint-pierre-et-miquelon-et-fortune-1077934.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/st-pierre-miquelon-fortune-ferry-1.6138866

Dougtone

I recall this being a concern with boaters in the Thousand Islands, who would traditionally cross the international border going between islands, even if their starting point and destination were in the same country.

jakeroot

Passed through the border around 0915 today, and it involved two checkpoints. That's one more than usual for the uninformed.

Driving north on I-5, US CBP had the lanes closed just past the final exit to Blaine, and directed all traffic into a small lay-by. Each car was stopped, asked to shut the engine off and provide keys to an agent; numerous questions asked about future travel itinerary, bags searched, car searched, etc. Then I was given the OK to leave. NEVER been stopped by CBP going into Canada. I'm not even used to checkpoints in Washington. Very odd experience.

The actual Canadian border was pretty straightforward, apart from having to provide the negative COVID tests. Typical questions about travel plans, hotel stays. Nothing about quarantine plans. Never showed my phone. Provided the two ID's that I noted in the ArriveCAN app, and we were good.

I managed to record the whole experience on dashcam, which I will upload later.

cl94

Quote from: jakeroot on August 15, 2021, 06:48:37 PM
Passed through the border around 0915 today, and it involved two checkpoints. That's one more than usual for the uninformed.

Driving north on I-5, US CBP had the lanes closed just past the final exit to Blaine, and directed all traffic into a small lay-by. Each car was stopped, asked to shut the engine off and provide keys to an agent; numerous questions asked about future travel itinerary, bags searched, car searched, etc. Then I was given the OK to leave. NEVER been stopped by CBP going into Canada. I'm not even used to checkpoints in Washington. Very odd experience.

The actual Canadian border was pretty straightforward, apart from having to provide the negative COVID tests. Typical questions about travel plans, hotel stays. Nothing about quarantine plans. Never showed my phone. Provided the two ID's that I noted in the ArriveCAN app, and we were good.

CBP will occasionally do random exit checks and they have for a while. In the many dozens of times I have crossed the border, I got exit checked exactly once at the Peace Bridge. It's not common, but it happens.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TXtoNJ

Quote from: jakeroot on August 15, 2021, 06:48:37 PM

Same thing happened to me last week. Think they're expecting the drug smuggling to ramp up with the border opening.

vdeane

Exit checks should be illegal.  It's the Canadian border, not the Berlin Wall!

Quote from: stevashe on August 15, 2021, 12:25:43 AM

Yeah, they did. Maritime entry is one of the options on the first page of the ArriveCAN app. The others being arrival by land and air, of course.
Quote from: Dougtone on August 15, 2021, 07:10:07 AM

I recall this being a concern with boaters in the Thousand Islands, who would traditionally cross the international border going between islands, even if their starting point and destination were in the same country.
Yes, I was talking about recreational boating - not ferries.  There are many places in the 1000 Islands where avoiding crossing the border is impractical, especially east of Chippewa Bay where all the dredged material from building the Seaway was dumped (resulting in places where the water goes from dozens of feet deep to only a foot or two very quickly).  Plus who wants to keep track of where the line is when they're out there, anyways?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cu2010

Quote from: Dougtone on August 15, 2021, 07:10:07 AM
Yes, I was talking about recreational boating - not ferries.  There are many places in the 1000 Islands where avoiding crossing the border is impractical, especially east of Chippewa Bay where all the dredged material from building the Seaway was dumped (resulting in places where the water goes from dozens of feet deep to only a foot or two very quickly).  Plus who wants to keep track of where the line is when they're out there, anyways?

So long as they don't land in the other country it's a non-issue. As a result, a local tour boat company is finally able to resume its usual tour route as opposed to the modified US-only one they were forced to use since last summer.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

zzcarp

Quote from: vdeane on August 15, 2021, 07:58:49 PM

Exactly, obviously CBP is way overstaffed if they have time to harass people going to Canada.

I have another border crossing story. My friend and his wife crossed from Washington to BC Saturday, not sure which crossing. They had attempted Friday and were turned back-my friend's test was 72.5 hours old. He seemed surprised they are sticklers on the test timing. Luckily he figured out how to get a 24-hour turnaround test at the Bellingham airport so they could enter.
So many miles and so many roads

kkt

Quote from: zzcarp on August 15, 2021, 08:58:15 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 15, 2021, 07:58:49 PM

Exactly, obviously CBP is way overstaffed if they have time to harass people going to Canada.

Doesn't really follow, we've had waits of four hours coming into the U.S. when their budget wasn't being lowballed.  They just spend their budget places other than the Canadian border and don't care much if that's inconvenient.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.