Canada to reopen borders to nonessential travel- first to Americans

Started by ozarkman417, July 19, 2021, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: oscar on November 10, 2021, 11:56:51 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 10, 2021, 10:50:30 PM
Yeah, I can get a test done prior to going to Canada, and try to time it right. So far, no issue. But getting one while in Canada to get back in seems like a pain in the ass.

Speaking of which: I'm not required to get a COVID test to return to the US, right?

Right, if you're a U.S. citizen returning at a land crossing. I did that last month at International Falls MN, not a peep about any Covid requirements.

I've been through twice (August and early October) before the border had opened to Canadians, and I had to present a test to enter Canada but no rule existed yet for Americans.

My concern was that, with reopening the border to everyone, the US ports of entry would now require COVID tests. So I'd have to get tested to enter Canada, and then get tested in Canada to return to the US.

Bruce

Just came back from a trip to Canada few hours ago.

My friend and I were randomly selected for the mail-in COVID testing yet again, but this time all of the valid dropoff points (at privately run postal businesses) were closed due to the Remembrance Day holiday. Had to just drop it off at a Canada Post box and just hope for the best, though I doubt it will get delivered properly.

Duke87

Quote from: Rothman on November 10, 2021, 10:36:27 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 10, 2021, 10:26:44 PM
Considering how easy it is to get a free covid test at a pharmacy in the US, I wouldn't really worry to much about visiting Canada.

I suspect that Canada is going to relax its testing requirements for vaccinated travelers in the coming weeks as well.
Getting the test is easy.  Getting the results back in time for their 72-hour window does cause some nail-biting.

Not to mention worrying about the test randomly coming back positive, and then needing to not only cancel your trip at the last minute but contend domestically with all the other drama testing positive entails.

It is for this reason that I'm not interested in leaving the country until the testing requirement goes away. Not taking that risk.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

oscar

Quote from: Duke87 on November 14, 2021, 03:49:16 PM
Not to mention worrying about the test randomly coming back positive, and then needing to not only cancel your trip at the last minute but contend domestically with all the other drama testing positive entails.

It is for this reason that I'm not interested in leaving the country until the testing requirement goes away. Not taking that risk.

I was concerned enough about a surprise false positive test that before I went in for my test, I spent several hours shopping for groceries, to have on hand most of the supplies I would need for a 10-day quarantine. In the early stages of the pandemic, I took similar precautions ahead of domestic travel, in case my state unexpectedly escalated its Covid-19 restrictions while I was out of state.

But none of this stopped me from traveling, once I was no longer under a stay at home order (in my case, that expired in late May 2020).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

Considering how easy it is to get a free covid test at a pharmacy in the US, I wouldn't really worry to much about visiting Canada.

I suspect that Canada is going to relax its testing requirements for vaccinated travelers in the coming weeks as well.
Getting the test is easy.  Getting the results back in time for their 72-hour window does cause some nail-biting.

Plus it apparently costs $100.  So it involves spending a decent amount of money while you're praying that the results come back in time and potentially testing positive, which would not only cancel the trip but blow up your life as well.  That certainly does not sound appealing.  I'm not planning to cross either until things normalize.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on November 14, 2021, 09:54:41 PM

Plus it apparently costs $100.  So it involves spending a decent amount of money while you're praying that the results come back in time and potentially testing positive, which would not only cancel the trip but blow up your life as well.  That certainly does not sound appealing.  I'm not planning to cross either until things normalize.
Insurance covered the cost for me -- 100%.  Not sure if they're still free for the uninsured, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Two things of note, given recent conversation:

- Vermont offers free COVID testing through the state's health department website.  Had one this weekend, and although they say to give 2-3 days to get results back, I got mine back in about 24 hours.

- Saw a Quebec plate "in the wild" on my way home from work tonight.

vdeane

It might vary by state, testing site, and insurance.  Now, what I've heard was third-hand, but the person was saying that the charge was specifically because the test was for travel to Canada.  Presumably tests for other reasons were still free.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on November 15, 2021, 12:45:17 PM
It might vary by state, testing site, and insurance.  Now, what I've heard was third-hand, but the person was saying that the charge was specifically because the test was for travel to Canada.  Presumably tests for other reasons were still free.
I got my test in Albany 2 weeks ago. It came through Walgreens, system where I normally get my prescriptions. No hard-to-answer questions asked either at Walgreens or at the border. It is to be seen if I get any billing, though.

JayhawkCO

99% sure that all normal Covid testing is free.  There was some random place that popped up near my old job that had a drive through tent that was charging a bunch but no one ever went there.  Not sure what the rationale was.

Chris

Rothman

I got my free test specifically to go to Canada.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Duke87

This sounds like this testing provider was charging a fee to expedite it. I.e. getting the test is free, guaranteeing you'll have results in time to go to Canada with them is not.

Given that a lot of places near the border have growing backlogs due to demand for Canada travel it makes sense that someone would start doing this.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Rothman

Quote from: Duke87 on November 15, 2021, 06:53:00 PM

This sounds like this testing provider was charging a fee to expedite it. I.e. getting the test is free, guaranteeing you'll have results in time to go to Canada with them is not.

Given that a lot of places near the border have growing backlogs due to demand for Canada travel it makes sense that someone would start doing this.

Makes me wonder if that's even possible.  A lot of testing locations around here are clear that you may not receive your results in time.

Alps

I got the free test about 60 hours before the Canadian border and results were in hand within about 30 of those hours. I'm expecting to do the same for upcoming intl travel. (Even if it takes a few hours more, I can use airport wifi for it.)

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on November 15, 2021, 07:03:07 PM

Makes me wonder if that's even possible.  A lot of testing locations around here are clear that you may not receive your results in time.
There are different tests. Basic PCR is overnighted into central lab and turned around in about 24 hours after arrival. There was a chart I cannot find right now, showing dips to 9 hours and climbs to 40 hours.
An alternative is a rapid test, which has a bit higher list price. I believe it is run on premises,  24 hours is promised - and I actually got results within 3 hours. And yes, ID NOW is accepted for Canada travel.

Rothman

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on November 15, 2021, 07:55:52 PM
ID NOW?
Go to walgreens.com and try to schedule a test. Dark red shows sites with that option available.
It is NAATs test and it is acceptable for Canada travel. Test itself is 13 minutes, and I believe is done on site.

AsphaltPlanet

I'm a Canadian, and I got a free test in the US.  Twice.

Testing is free for the uninsured.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Rothman

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 15, 2021, 08:35:04 PM
I'm a Canadian, and I got a free test in the US.  Twice.

Testing is free for the uninsured.
Commie Moocher from the North!

It's American to go north and take advantage of your health system.  Not the other way around!

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

MikeTheActuary

Medically necessary testing is generally available at no out-of-pocket expense to the person being tested.  (They're usually still paying, through some combination of health insurance premiums or tax dollars.)

Testing for travel, however, is not medically necessary.   It's supposed to be paid for by the traveler, but it seems like many places aren't currently bothering to make that distinction (or they realize that a high percentage of travelers will just lie to get the "free" test).

Bruce

I've now done two trips up to Canada since the border reopened. Both times, I was able to get a free PCR test at the local drive-up site (operated by Snohomish County and run by UW Medicine) with the result back in 30 hours. Printed out the test receipt for the border agent the second time to avoid having to hand over my phone.

Both times I got randomly selected for extra testing, which was a hassle. Turns out no one will take biohazard-marked packages on a holiday like Remembrance Day.

kalvado

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 16, 2021, 12:13:16 AM

Medically necessary testing is generally available at no out-of-pocket expense to the person being tested.  (They're usually still paying, through some combination of health insurance premiums or tax dollars.)

Testing for travel, however, is not medically necessary.   It's supposed to be paid for by the traveler, but it seems like many places aren't currently bothering to make that distinction (or they realize that a high percentage of travelers will just lie to get the "free" test).
Some time before vaccine, testing rate and positivity rate became figures of merit. Since most healthy people are not willing to stick strange objects down the nose or throat without good reason, pushing healthy people into testing became the thing. We have to be tested periodically at work (weekly unvaccinated, biweekly vaccinated). Previously it was billed to insurance, I believe; now someone else pays and I even don't get any results. I am sure positive one will trigger something. It is cheap pooled test not good for travel though.
Sheer gaming with numbers, from my perspective. Not even good for surveillance as people commute pretty widely. And there is sewage testing to be used for much better surveillance after all

Rothman

*citation needed*

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on November 16, 2021, 06:51:06 AM

*citation needed*
https://www.sentinelsource.com/news/local/medically-necessary-gray-area-complicates-covid-test-coverage/article_bd0b31a8-72ec-5759-9198-e67624223d04.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.