Portland, Salem, and Eugene

Started by Bruce, July 19, 2021, 10:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

I'm going on a road trip tomorrow and wouldn't mind some last-minute advice on things to see. So far, this is my list of must-photograph places and things:

Vancouver

- New waterfront
- Vine BRT line
- Fort Vancouver Park
- SR 14 RI/RO interchanges
- Interstate Bridge
- I-205 Bridge
- Yale Bridge (SR 503)
- Downtown Camas or Washougal

Portland

(Already seen a lot of sights here)

- I-505 stubs
- Marquam Bridge stubs
- Naito Parkway
- Streetcar barn under I-405
- Eastbank Esplanade
- Sellwood Bridge
- St Johns Bridge
- Banfield Expressway
- Lloyd Center
- MAX Orange Line in Milwauke
- Oregon City Elevator
- Downtown Troutdale

Salem and Corvallis

- Oregon Electric Railway Museum (closed, but I can get an outside peek)
- 45 degrees sign in Keizer
- State Capitol
- Willamette River bridges
- OSU campus

Eugene

- EmX BRT
- I-105 ramps
- Downtown Springfield
- OU campus and stadium

Really drawing a blank on Eugene, though.

roadman65

Salem you have to watch now cause one specific SPUI interchange on I-5 has loads of people living in tents under the freeway with a big pile of trash from the waste created from everyday living.  I am not against this, but hope you are not one that gets uncomfortable seeing this as many would be.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

Quote from: roadman65 on July 19, 2021, 10:58:23 PM
Salem you have to watch now cause one specific SPUI interchange on I-5 has loads of people living in tents under the freeway with a big pile of trash from the waste created from everyday living.  I am not against this, but hope you are not one that gets uncomfortable seeing this as many would be.

I'm not too bothered by it as long as I'm not expecting to spend more than 5 minutes in the area. It's also sadly common in most Northwestern cities.

nexus73

OU = Oklahoma  UO = Oregon.

The 105/99 junction has bridges which were considered rather beautiful when they were put in place.

To see an isolated freeway segment which would have been part of a belt road system had Eugene and ODOT moved forward, take the 30th Avenue exit from I-5 on the south side of Eugene.

Take notice of the I-5 bridges crossing the Willamette and McKenzie rivers.  They were built for handling 6 lanes. ODOT has no plan to do anything for I-5 in Eugene until 2030 at the earliest.   

If you can find it, eat at the McMenamin's that is along the river and close by to I-105.  The view is gorgeous!  You can eat inside or outdoors too. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bruce

Quote from: nexus73 on July 20, 2021, 08:51:47 AM
OU = Oklahoma  UO = Oregon.

The 105/99 junction has bridges which were considered rather beautiful when they were put in place.

To see an isolated freeway segment which would have been part of a belt road system had Eugene and ODOT moved forward, take the 30th Avenue exit from I-5 on the south side of Eugene.

Take notice of the I-5 bridges crossing the Willamette and McKenzie rivers.  They were built for handling 6 lanes. ODOT has no plan to do anything for I-5 in Eugene until 2030 at the earliest.   

If you can find it, eat at the McMenamin's that is along the river and close by to I-105.  The view is gorgeous!  You can eat inside or outdoors too. 

Rick

Thanks for the advice. I'll look at those junctions in Eugene and try to get down to the riverbank for a good view of the bridges.

I'm also debating on which coastal town I should visit if I have time (but likely only for one). Basically anything from Newport northward is in range for my return day.

roadman65

I would get to the east of I-5 to catch the mountains and scenic drives from the many highways if you can. Detour to Oakridge on OR 58 and back as that drive is very scenic.

Depose Bay is a good coastal town, but make reservations in advance. I recommend the Bookings.com app.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

Quote from: roadman65 on August 31, 2021, 05:06:08 PM
I would get to the east of I-5 to catch the mountains and scenic drives from the many highways if you can. Detour to Oakridge on OR 58 and back as that drive is very scenic.

Depose Bay is a good coastal town, but make reservations in advance. I recommend the Bookings.com app.

I already finished this trip a month ago, but thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind for my next trip down there.

Slight problem is that the mountains were barely holding back the wildfire smoke at the time, so getting close would have not been ideal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.