Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Why wasn't the I-355 extension to I-57 more seriously considered?

<< < (7/19) > >>

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: ilpt4u on July 30, 2021, 11:40:24 PM ---Back when the extension to I-57 was a working concept, was there not a proposal to route I-355 along I-80 (either via Multiplex or via parallel carriageways a la I-355 and I-88) slightly west, and then break south for I-57 and the Peotone area? I never knew the exact “break” point where 355 was to diverge from 80

If there were any Political will to do it, I feel like the extension could still happen. It would be tight, and a warehouse or two would have to go and maybe a church, but the area at Gougar and I-80 could squeeze in a Freeway interchange and a Freeway heading south from there

That is just about the only spot in that general area where a southern extension could continue

--- End quote ---

That was indeed the plan, to multiplex west on 80 from the now-built I-355 junction to a location west of the US 30 interchange, then continuing south. There was a vacant strip of land in the New Lenox area that was identified as the corridor in the village's land use plan, perhaps between Gougar and Cherry Hill roads but it's been a long time since I saw it, and I noticed it got removed at some point, likely around 2010 or so.

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: edwaleni on July 30, 2021, 10:36:35 AM ---The alternate, the Prairie Parkway was devised by several Illinois Republicans along with the then Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert.  Because he was Speaker, he had leverage to get funding in several annual bills for IDOT to begin land acquisition.

That was conceived to be the final north-south "reliever" route between I-355 and I-39.

Unfortunately some of that land was owned by entities where Hastert had an interest. He has since passed away.

Western Kane County rural interests were dead set against it along with the usual green interests.

It is no longer in any long term planning, but I don't think IDOT has sold back the land they acquired from those Congressional grants. IDOT is renown for sitting on their land once they get their hands on it.

Last time I read anything about it, it mentioned that IDOT owned about 20-30% of the needed ROW for the PP.

--- End quote ---

Well, Hastert's not dead yet, but all vestiges of his memory are understandably being removed from the area. He didn't own any of the land directly within the corridor but had an interest in a proposed development near Galena Road where the corridor would pass nearby. IDOT didn't propose an exit at Galena Road (the nearest exits were at US 34 and US 30, about 5 miles in each direction) but somehow the county got behind a request to add a few interchanges to the route including Galena Road. That request was ultimately NOT incorporated in the EIS, which IDOT later agreed to put on the shelf as a "no build" after Pat Quinn became governor. Ironically, nothing ever got built on that development on Galena Road as the Great Recession was about to hit. Also ironically, the original lawsuit against the Prairie Parkway claimed depression of land values if it were built, and the narrative suddenly switched to enrichment of land values if it were built when news of Hastert's interest in the Galena Road property came out.

There are substantial acreages bought and still owned by IDOT near the proposed I-80 and US 34 interchanges, and a few other parcels here and there. A commercial sod farm formerly owned the land near I-80 and a family farm formerly owned the land near US 34. 

The rest of the Prairie Parkway federal money eventually went to widening IL 47 from I-80 to Caton Farm Road, widening US 34 from Plano to Oswego, and the new I-88/IL 47 interchange.

If you ever go under the Minooka Road bridge over I-80, you will notice that it was built extra wide to accommodate ramps for the proposed PP interchange. Also, the center median gets extra wide on US 34 east of Needham Road in Plano to accommodate turn lanes where the interchange was planned. These are the only physical vestiges of the planned freeway, and they will likely remain in place for a long time. 

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: Rick Powell on August 04, 2021, 12:41:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: edwaleni on July 30, 2021, 10:36:35 AM ---The alternate, the Prairie Parkway was devised by several Illinois Republicans along with the then Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert.  Because he was Speaker, he had leverage to get funding in several annual bills for IDOT to begin land acquisition.

That was conceived to be the final north-south "reliever" route between I-355 and I-39.

Unfortunately some of that land was owned by entities where Hastert had an interest. He has since passed away.

Western Kane County rural interests were dead set against it along with the usual green interests.

It is no longer in any long term planning, but I don't think IDOT has sold back the land they acquired from those Congressional grants. IDOT is renown for sitting on their land once they get their hands on it.

Last time I read anything about it, it mentioned that IDOT owned about 20-30% of the needed ROW for the PP.

--- End quote ---

Well, Hastert's not dead yet, but all vestiges of his memory are understandably being removed from the area. He didn't own any of the land directly within the corridor but had an interest in a proposed development near Galena Road where the corridor would pass nearby. IDOT didn't propose an exit at Galena Road (the nearest exits were at US 34 and US 30, about 5 miles in each direction) but somehow the county got behind a request to add a few interchanges to the route including Galena Road. That request was ultimately NOT incorporated in the EIS, which IDOT later agreed to put on the shelf as a "no build" after Pat Quinn became governor. Ironically, nothing ever got built on that development on Galena Road as the Great Recession was about to hit. Also ironically, the original lawsuit against the Prairie Parkway claimed depression of land values if it were built, and the narrative suddenly switched to enrichment of land values if it were built when news of Hastert's interest in the Galena Road property came out.

There are substantial acreages bought and still owned by IDOT near the proposed I-80 and US 34 interchanges, and a few other parcels here and there. A commercial sod farm formerly owned the land near I-80 and a family farm formerly owned the land near US 34. 

The rest of the Prairie Parkway federal money eventually went to widening IL 47 from I-80 to Caton Farm Road, widening US 34 from Plano to Oswego, and the new I-88/IL 47 interchange.

If you ever go under the Minooka Road bridge over I-80, you will notice that it was built extra wide to accommodate ramps for the proposed PP interchange. Also, the center median gets extra wide on US 34 east of Needham Road in Plano to accommodate turn lanes where the interchange was planned. These are the only physical vestiges of the planned freeway, and they will likely remain in place for a long time.

--- End quote ---

My apology. I thought Mr. Hastert had passed away. I had confused it with a stroke he had just before his prison term. I thought the stroke had killed him.

captkirk_4:
What do you expect in Illinois, they can't get anything done. I looked on the overhead maps and it's all built up just south of the 355 and 80 so unless some alternate route is found it would be impossible even had they the will. I had thought instead of the Illiniana which seems dead now too they could just continue the four line, at grade crossing Illinois 17 east, from where it goes down to two lanes around Sun River Terrace and diverts north to Mommence. A four lane at grade roadway from Sun River Terrace all the way to I-65 at Roselawn would be a welcome diversion from the Kingery Borman traffic jam.

I know heading north from Central Illinois in the afternoon the phone app always shows that I-80 stretch stopped and bright red all the way from 57 to 65 so I usually divert over at exit 312 on 57 along IL 17 over to Mommence, then IL 114 which becomes IN 10 to Roselawn where I can catch I 65 up to 80-94 to Michigan. The IL 114 IN 10 are pretty poor secondary roads in a floodplain with some stretches lacking a shoulder and having deep ditches a few feet off the side of the road. Often a semi truck is rolling along at 53 miles an hour with 6 or 7 cars backing up behind it, not to mention how slow they are getting through the brief green light across US 41.

Bizarrely there are all these nudist colonies in Roselawn for some reason? Had noticed the sings and thought the silhouette of the couple reminded me of those nude people on that gold engraving on the space probe so looked up what all these "sun clubs" along IN 10 were. Just as I suspected, nudist colonies.

Crash_It:

--- Quote from: captkirk_4 on September 06, 2021, 11:48:11 AM ---What do you expect in Illinois, they can't get anything done.

--- End quote ---

Doesn't look like you get out much

IL390 Extension - Done ✅
I255 rehab - Done ✅
Jane Byrne interchange is now showing significant progress - ✔️

And possibly alot more than this but can't remember from the top of my head.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version