Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Why wasn't the I-355 extension to I-57 more seriously considered?

<< < (9/19) > >>

captkirk_4:

--- Quote from: Crash_It on September 06, 2021, 11:21:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: captkirk_4 on September 06, 2021, 11:48:11 AM ---What do you expect in Illinois, they can't get anything done.

--- End quote ---

Doesn't look like you get out much

IL390 Extension - Done ✅
I255 rehab - Done ✅
Jane Byrne interchange is now showing significant progress - ✔️

And possibly alot more than this but can't remember from the top of my head.

--- End quote ---

I remember the 53 extension up to Grayslake has been trying to get built since the 80s but all we ever got was a single mile from Dundee Road up to Lake Cook. What we got was an inadequate trickle when we needed Eisenhower level expansion which only seems still being done in Texas and a handful of other places. Lake County is a giant traffic jam. I left Chicagoland in 1990, but visited about 15 year later and went up Route 12. As a kid it wasn't too bad with traffic and already partially expressway. What should have been done is convert the rest to limited access along with the 53 extension up to Great America. But what happened was the addition of new stop lights every half mile and it took me literally forever to get up to Fox Lake. With the state declining in population I don't think that the south Will County northern Kankakee County area will ever become sprawl (Chicago proper is going to become a ghost town like Detroit due to pro crime leadership.) So instead of the Illiana I think a four lane at grade crossing road like US 51 from Bloomington to Pana would be a viable option. IL 17 is already four lane from Kankakee to Sun River Terrace, extend that south of Mommence into Indiana South of Roselawn and four lane 17 west of Kankakee over to I 55 and Wilmington. Yesterday I already saw a lot of trucks getting off 65 northbound at Roselawn and going west over to 57 along that two lane road with a huge moat a foot off to the side of the road on Indiana 10. Any sudden veering an a semi will be laying in the ditch laying on it's side. Too much traffic both ways to pass slow vehicles and too many trees for good visibility even without any oncoming traffic. Sill better than the 70 minute delay from Exit 11 where 65 and 94 come together to the State Line, then more delays on 80 in Illinois itself.

Revive 755:

--- Quote from: captkirk_4 on October 10, 2021, 11:16:21 AM ---With the state declining in population I don't think that the south Will County northern Kankakee County area will ever become sprawl (Chicago proper is going to become a ghost town like Detroit due to pro crime leadership.)
--- End quote ---

Going off of Wikipedia, it doesn't look like the overall Detroit metro area has experienced a significant population decline like the core city did.  I could see Chicagoland going more like metro St. Louis where population generally quits growing but the overall area grows outward (though right now I don't have much confidence in predictions until seeing how things play out for a couple years after the pandemic winds down).

Crash_It:

--- Quote from: captkirk_4 on October 10, 2021, 11:16:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: captkirk_4 on September 06, 2021, 11:48:11 AM ---What do you expect in Illinois, they can't get anything done.

--- End quote ---

IL390 Extension - Done ✅
I255 rehab - Done ✅

--- End quote ---

.With the state declining in population I don't think that the south Will County northern Kankakee County area will ever become sprawl (Chicago proper is going to become a ghost town like Detroit due to pro crime leadership.)

--- End quote ---

Chicago will never become like Detroit, it actually grew in population unlike Detroit. Not that many people overall have left Illinois. Or, they left and came back.

paulthemapguy:

--- Quote from: Revive 755 on October 10, 2021, 10:55:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: captkirk_4 on October 10, 2021, 11:16:21 AM ---With the state declining in population I don't think that the south Will County northern Kankakee County area will ever become sprawl (Chicago proper is going to become a ghost town like Detroit due to pro crime leadership.)
--- End quote ---

Going off of Wikipedia, it doesn't look like the overall Detroit metro area has experienced a significant population decline like the core city did.  I could see Chicagoland going more like metro St. Louis where population generally quits growing but the overall area grows outward (though right now I don't have much confidence in predictions until seeing how things play out for a couple years after the pandemic winds down).

--- End quote ---

This makes more sense. New homes and businesses sure are getting built out here to continue the urban sprawl, but it isn't a super-fast explosion of growth like in, say, 2000-2006.

SEWIGuy:

--- Quote from: Crash_It on October 11, 2021, 02:14:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: captkirk_4 on October 10, 2021, 11:16:21 AM ---

--- End quote ---

IL390 Extension - Done ✅
I255 rehab - Done ✅

--- End quote ---

.With the state declining in population I don't think that the south Will County northern Kankakee County area will ever become sprawl (Chicago proper is going to become a ghost town like Detroit due to pro crime leadership.)

--- End quote ---

Chicago will never become like Detroit, it actually grew in population unlike Detroit. Not that many people overall have left Illinois. Or, they left and came back.

--- End quote ---

Illinois declined in population between 2010 and 2020.  Chicagoland *increased* in population during the same time frame.  It's the rural counties and some mid-sized cities where people are leaving.

https://www.chicagomag.com/news/where-illinois-is-losing-population/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version