Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Why wasn't the I-355 extension to I-57 more seriously considered?

<< < (15/19) > >>

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: Rick Powell on October 23, 2021, 01:53:05 PM ---Lately, the talk is of South Suburban Airport  being mainly a cargo airport. With Joliet and Elwood warehouses and Amazon opening multiple fulfillment centers in the I-57 corridor in Will and south Cook Counties, it might make sense for the logistics industry as a scaled-down air freight terminal. Agreed that passenger airlines are not seeing a need.

--- End quote ---

The way the railroads have really screwed the pooch by forcing so much interchange through Chicago, has not helped the situation one bit. (Neither has CSX dropping interchange to Indiana, Michigan and Ohio, truck only)

Of my last 2 orders of parts from China, one came air freight via Anchorage, the other came air freight via O'Hare.

The Anchorage order cleared customs in 24 hours. The order through O'Hare took 2 weeks to clear customs. It's still that bad.

So I have no issue with IDOT planning for a future "freight only" airport and have it so close to the Joliet Logistics centers.

Connect it to I-57, I-55 and I-80 to the west, and Indiana wants, I-65 (or farther to the east)

But as for I-355 access, it would be nice to connect the O'Hare freight warehouses directly, for N/S transfer, but too late. They will have to weave over using I-55 or IL-395.

Revive 755:

--- Quote from: Rick Powell on October 22, 2021, 04:42:14 PM ---Cedar Road is just off the US 6/355 exit and connects to US 30, Laraway, Manhattan Monee and Wilmington Peotone roads. Not as elegant a solution as a 355 extension, but functional if you need it.
--- End quote ---

Functional is debatable:

* Two railroad crossings - doesn't seem hard to find a train on the one near Laraway Road.
* Multiple schools
* Intersection at US 30 may have capacity issues (particularly the southbound left)

Getting through New Lenox on Cedar just seems to take forever.  Not that I-80 and I-57 always seem to be doing much better.

abefroman329:

--- Quote from: Rick Powell on October 23, 2021, 01:53:05 PM ---Lately, the talk is of South Suburban Airport  being mainly a cargo airport. With Joliet and Elwood warehouses and Amazon opening multiple fulfillment centers in the I-57 corridor in Will and south Cook Counties, it might make sense for the logistics industry as a scaled-down air freight terminal. Agreed that passenger airlines are not seeing a need.

--- End quote ---
It would make sense for the cargo-only airlines, but I don't think, say, Lufthansa would be interested in splitting their passenger and cargo operations between O'Hare and the hypothetical Peotone airport.

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: Revive 755 on October 26, 2021, 10:34:38 PM ---Functional is debatable:

* Two railroad crossings - doesn't seem hard to find a train on the one near Laraway Road.
* Multiple schools
* Intersection at US 30 may have capacity issues (particularly the southbound left)

Getting through New Lenox on Cedar just seems to take forever.  Not that I-80 and I-57 always seem to be doing much better.

--- End quote ---

Interestingly, Google says the Cedar/Manhattan Monee route (32 minutes) is only 3 minutes slower than I-80 to I-57 (29 minutes) from the I-355/US 6 interchange to the Monee exit on I-57. That's a snapshot in time though, with a few sections of I-57 in red and yellow as of now. Another alternate route showing the same 32 minutes as Cedar/MM is Cedar to US 30 to Wolf Rd. to Laraway Rd. to Center Road to Manhattan Monee.

mukade:
Illinois has a bit of a history of grandiose projects that turn out to be solutions in search of problems. Both the decades long efforts to build the third commercial airport near Peotone and the actual building of the MidAmerica St. Louis Airport fall into this category. On a smaller scale, I-180 and IL 336 are similar in that neither delivered the promised benefits despite high costs. Given that background, seriously planning out a freeway now that would serve a potential cargo air hub would fall into the same category and would be premature at best, in my opinion.

As for the benefits of an air cargo hub being close to the Joliet Logistics centers, how likely is it that items shipped by air will make it through the cross dock or intermodal facilities? Maybe they would, but it seems like it would defeat the purpose of paying the high shipping costs. Especially when FedEx and UPS have proven capabilities for fast last mile delivery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version