News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Broken Bones

Started by Roadgeekteen, July 24, 2021, 02:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Have you ever broken a bone? I have not, never gotten any serious injuries.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

I've broken many over the years:

-  I broke a bone in my left small toe doing push-ups during July 2018. 
-  I cracked three ribs and shattered my left distal radius when I was run over by a driver on 2/5/2010 (hard to forget that exact date).
-  I've had three sports related injuries in middle school and high school that amounted to numerous broken bones in my hands. 

Rothman

Yep.  Broke my wrist during basketball.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tolbs17

GaryV

I had a hairline fracture in my ankle.  Being a "guy", I thought it was a sprain and wrapped it.  And proceeded to my daughter's wedding and then vacation.  About 3 weeks later, with the swelling returning yet again, I went to the doctor.  The fracture was near a ligament, so every time I stretched it, the fracture pulled apart again.

Big John

Not until last year where I got a dizzy spell and fell then revealed I broke a bone in my foot.

ozarkman417

No bone injuries yet, but I've had a nasty sports-related hamstring injury these past couple months. A friend of mine fractured his left leg while casually skipping around a field years ago.

SM-G965U

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on July 24, 2021, 04:33:04 PM
I had a hairline fracture in my ankle.  Being a "guy", I thought it was a sprain and wrapped it.  And proceeded to my daughter's wedding and then vacation.  About 3 weeks later, with the swelling returning yet again, I went to the doctor.  The fracture was near a ligament, so every time I stretched it, the fracture pulled apart again.

Interesting story that goes along with that broken toe above.  When I smashed my toe into the wall I was pretty sure that I broke it.  The only reason I had been doing push ups at all was because we were supposed to leave for Hume Lake early in the morning.  My girlfriend (now wife) was waiting on some family which was holding us up.  I was planning asking her to marry me that day so I decided to exercise when she told me her family was running behind. 

Given I had a ring and a whole set up I wasn't going to back out to go to an urgent care for a broken toe.  I took some pain pills and taped the toe to the one next to it before we hit the road.  We ended up hiking about 7 miles in Kings Canyon National Park even before we got to Hume Lake.  About a mile into the Hume Lake Trail I finally had the chance to ask the question (she said yes).  By then the pain had largely subsided but man that toe was swollen by the time we got home.

GaryV

^ My ankle injury was at a soccer game where I was the assistant referee.  I fell in a rut caused by the mower tractors.  In the first half.  At halftime I looked at it and decided, ehh, I can do the 2nd half.  By the time I got home it was swollen so I wrapped it and put it on ice.
Oh, it was first weekend of the soccer season - so I was out for the rest of the season.  At least the morning game I had, before the one I got hurt, was a really good game for me, if I say so myself.

dlsterner

Only once, back in 2000.  Slipped on a patch of ice and landed awkwardly on my right ankle.

Since I'm an idiot man, I stood up, put all my weight on it (as a test) and remained standing and was not in excruciating pain, so I assumed it was OK.  Went in to work as normal.  By that afternoon (Friday, of course) it not only continued to swell but was starting to turn purplish. so I wondered if it might be worse than I thought.  So I decided to take it easy through the weekend and see what it was like Monday morning.

Monday morning, no improvement; went to the doctor.  Found I had a hairline fracture of the fibula just above the ankle.  (The fibula is the smaller of the bones; apparently the larger tibia supports 80% of the weight which is why I was able to stand and walk).  Got a walking cast for the next five weeks.  The toe of the cast was open and I learned how to drive with just my toes.

Interestingly in my immediate family (parents, one sibling and myself), my single break is the only one ever.

CoreySamson

I have not, although I have had tons of issues with ingrown and infected toenails (not so much the past three years). I've also sprained my wrist a couple times at church.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Takumi

Never, but I sprained my ankle once.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

tolbs17

I have twisted my finger as well. It felt broken, but it was just a bruise.

bandit957

There have been 3 times.

In 7th grade, some kid chased me down the street, and I slipped on a wet sidewalk and broke my arm.

Back in 2004, I fell off a bike and broke my hand.

About 3 years ago, I accidentally closed a car door on my finger because I was making 'Sesame Street' jokes and wasn't paying attention. I went into shock and my vision went gray and shimmery for a few minutes. My finger is now bent for good.

The only one of these I went to the doctor for was the one in 7th grade. The other incidents were hopeless.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Two of them. Broke my finger in my youth when my brother and I were horseplaying around and his knee crunched on my finger while my hand was flat on the ground. Then, when I was in high school, I cracked my elbow. Didn't know it until the doctor drained the fluid (mostly blood) off the swollen joint. The presence of fat in the blood indicated the crack.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GenExpwy

I had a punctured bone when I was five. We had a set of lawn darts

and one afternoon my grandfather tried playing it for the first time against my brother (age 10). I wanted a better view, so I decided to sit backwards at the top of our slide – safely out of the way, I thought. Grandfather's first throw went wildly off course....

I can still see that red Jart coming straight toward me, and I had nowhere to go. It landed in the center of my right knee, putting a perfect little hole in my kneecap.

GaryV

So you were the reason those things got banned ...

kphoger

1.  I probably broke a rib on a trampoline when I was a kid.  I attempted to do two back flips in a row.  On the second one, I ended up doing 1¼ back flips and landed flat on my back on the springs.  It hurt to breathe for about one or two weeks afterward.  I never got an X-ray, though.

2.  In high school, I went for a layup while playing basketball in P.E., and my nose made contact with another player's head.  If you look at my nose from the right angle, you can tell I broke it.

3.  While skateboarding from orchestral band practice to the commuter train station in River Forest (IL), I stumbled and fell.  I put my hands out to break my fall, got up, stretched my arms a bit, and thought:  That's going to hurt later.  I got back on my skateboard and kept going to the Metra station.  I boarded the train, and my elbow kept getting more and more sore, no matter how much I flexed/stretched it.  I called my roommate and asked him to pick me up at the station (College Avenue, Wheaton) instead of just walking home.  Then I asked to borrow his car so I could drive to the E.R. in Winfield.  It turns out I had broken my elbow.  They gave me a sling and a prescription for Tylenol 3.  I only took the medicine once:  it only cut the pain for about an hour, but it made me feel like I'd had three drinks.  The next week, I was back at orchestral band rehearsal.  I was a percussionist, and I played drum set on one of the pieces.  Yes, I was playing drums with a broken elbow.  *shrugs*  The most painful part of the whole experience was twisting my forearm for the X-ray.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

frankenroad

I'm almost 65 and have never broken a bone.   However, I have had a couple of bad sprains/ligament tears, and one doctor told me I would be in a lot less pain if I had broken a bone.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

allniter89

Nope, 68yo. I havent broken anything. Breathing issues since birth prevented me from playing sports I did have the usual sprains & boobooze etc. :spin:

I've only had short hospitals stays. In the 70s I cut my wrist on a broken headlight required reconnecting tendon. Went to hospital 0200, the next day I had the surgery stayed overnight then discharge the next a.m. 2 days in hospital.
My other hospitals stays ER took care of it & sent me home.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

kurumi

Catching a football at a picnic. I thought I had sprained the little finger and kept playing. "Sprained" it again, and decided, this kind of hurts, I'll step out. A guy named Jason ("Mr. Prepared") had an ice pack so I iced it up and stayed for a while, not thinking much of it.

Drove back home, told my wife what had happened, and sat down on the couch. Still hurting, but it would probably take a while to subside. I braced that hand on the coffee table to stand up, and instant 10/10 pain (at least in my experience. Haven't been shot, or given birth, etc.)

We head to the hospital and yup, a hairline fracture on the little finger. I'll get a cast and it'll heal in about 4 weeks. Which kind of sucked, because Hawaii vacation was in 1 week. However, they set up a removable plastic cast, with washable insert, so I could still go in the water, but nothing with any possible impact (paddleboarding, surfing, diving, etc.)

After the cast was off, I had to regain mobility in that finger, which took a few more weeks. Also found out that, at least for me, chinups require all the fingers, you can't just elevate the little one like you're drinking tea with the Queen.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Speaking with pain associated with broken bones I've had an observation over the years.  Why is it that a stomach issue somehow hurts infinitely worse than a broken bone does?  I recall pondering that question for months after I was hit by that car I cited above in 2010. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.