National Boards > General Highway Talk

Infrastructure Bill 2021

(1/37) > >>

ITB:

With the writing of the legislation now complete and votes taken in the Senate to begin debate, the bipartisan Infrastructure Bill of 2021 is rapidly moving toward reality. The bill authorizes $550 billion in new expenditures, of which a massive $110 billion is dedicated for roads and bridges. Here's the breakdown, as of August 2, 2021, of the proposed expenditures involving roads and bridges:

$55.48 billion Increased Contract Authority

$55.52 billion Supplemental Appropriations

$36.375 billion, Bridge Grant Program
      $7.5 billion, Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity (RAISE) grants; (formerly BUILD grants)
      $5 billion, National Infrastructure Project Assistance grant program
      $3.2 billion, Infrastructure for Rebuilding America (INFRA) Grant Program
      $1.25 billion, Appalachian Development Highway System formula program
      $1 billion, Culvert Removal, Replacement, and Restoration
      $500 million, Surface Transportation Private Activity Bonds
      $95 million, University Transportation Centers

As the bill moves forward, there will likely be amendments and minor tweaks to the legislation. It's been reported that what is finalized and passed in the Senate will, in all likelihood, be approved by the House without modifications. Exactly how much additional money each state can expect to receive for roads and bridges, as well as other infrastructure, has yet to be released.

A summary of the entire infrastructure bill (as of August 2, 2021) can be accessed here.

Roadgeekteen:
Can someone explain what the bill will actually do in layman's terms?

hbelkins:
The "culvert" entry is particularly intriguing.

Kentucky went on a spree last year inspecting and closing a number of larger culverts, both on state and locally-maintained roads. I heard that there was an influx of federal money to fund the inspections and that this was a special effort to evaluate smaller structures that would not necessarily be considered "structures" under the federal bridge inspection program.

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 02, 2021, 06:56:07 PM ---Can someone explain what the bill will actually do in layman's terms?

--- End quote ---

Rothman:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on August 02, 2021, 07:53:08 PM ---The "culvert" entry is particularly intriguing.

Kentucky went on a spree last year inspecting and closing a number of larger culverts, both on state and locally-maintained roads. I heard that there was an influx of federal money to fund the inspections and that this was a special effort to evaluate smaller structures that would not necessarily be considered "structures" under the federal bridge inspection program.

--- End quote ---

Hm.  If true, I wonder what FHWA program code it was.

ETA:  Just checked the FMIS W10A (comprehensive report on available federal funds):  There isn't a nationwide "federal bridge inspection program," from what I can tell.  Rather, states can fund their inspections with other apportioned federal funds.  Makes me wonder if they're Statewide Planning and Research eligible (SPR), though.  Never had to worry about how they were funded in NY, since it was handled at the state level and doesn't affect the capital program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version